PDA

View Full Version : Where to park around the Liberty Bowl?

Coach34
12-30-2013, 01:14 PM
I haven't been there since 1991. Any info appreciated

Tailgates? Bars close for Pre-game warm-up???

scottycameron
12-30-2013, 01:22 PM
Go early, park somewhere in cooper young, drink all morning/day at the bars,parties there and walk from there.
or
park in toby whatever park in corner of central and hollywood, room for big tailgate spread. Drink all morning/day there and grillojut/tailgate.
or
Park in tiger lane or lot next to stadium. Set up tailgate there and drink all morning/day and grill there. Shortest walk to and from game, may be harder to get out after.

quickstrike2
12-30-2013, 01:25 PM
How hard are cabs to come by in memphis?

hailmari
12-30-2013, 01:35 PM
How hard are cabs to come by in memphis?

At our last liberty bowl, my group had a heck of a time getting one afterwards. I'll happily overpay for parking tomorrow.

quickstrike2
12-30-2013, 01:55 PM
At our last liberty bowl, my group had a heck of a time getting one afterwards. I'll happily overpay for parking tomorrow.

That's what i feared. I am going with a group that insists we just get a cab. I just can't see them being readily available with it being New Years and Liberty Bowl.

Vandownbytheriver
12-30-2013, 02:37 PM
Just an FYI, if you park in a pay lot and some guy offers to watch your car for you for $10, pay him. If not, your shit is getting broken into.

C222
12-30-2013, 02:39 PM
Go early, park somewhere in cooper young, drink all morning/day at the bars,parties there and walk from there.
or
park in toby whatever park in corner of central and hollywood, room for big tailgate spread. Drink all morning/day there and grillojut/tailgate.
or
Park in tiger lane or lot next to stadium. Set up tailgate there and drink all morning/day and grill there. Shortest walk to and from game, may be harder to get out after.

Walk from Cooper/Young? That's a little far, no?

Coach34
12-30-2013, 03:46 PM
or
or

thanks

Political Hack
12-30-2013, 04:07 PM
Just an FYI, if you park in a pay lot and some guy offers to watch your car for you for $10, pay him. If not, your shit is getting broken into.

sad, but true.

thf24
12-30-2013, 04:17 PM

I don't want to scare anyone, but this is true. Security outside the stadium is almost non-existent. I tailgated with some friends at a few U of M games this year, and there were thugs freely and blatantly walking around taking aluminum and glass out of everyone's trash, then asking for tips and beer on the claim of being stadium staff. Hopefully they'll want to put on a better face as far as security goes for the bowl, but I wouldn't count on it.

Like I said, I don't want to scare anyone and most will encounter no issues; just be as cautious as possible.

Bothrops
12-30-2013, 05:50 PM
Just get yourself mentally prepared for the possible event of having to use your handgun. Step up your level of awareness. Crackheads are often silly acting but can flip on you.

C222
12-30-2013, 05:52 PM
Just get yourself mentally prepared for the possible event of having to use your handgun. Step up your level of awareness. Crackheads are often silly acting but can flip on you.

Good lord. Its not that bad. I lived there for 25 years and been to many Memphis games.

Bothrops
12-30-2013, 06:04 PM
Not typically, but I had a little experience in 2007.

scottycameron
12-30-2013, 06:16 PM
Walk from Cooper/Young? That's a little far, no?

maybe? I know we did it and it I don't remember it being a big deal. I'm thinking it's as close as the big parking area at Toby park where most park. May be wrong, it's been a while.

Maroonthirteen
12-30-2013, 07:05 PM
Yeah, From a decent bar, I would say that is a long walk to make unless you want a workout pregame to walk off the beer and buzz.

As for parking, park in the lots on the fair grounds. While I agree your odds of being a victim of property crime go up in Memphis as opposed to rural areas, but it isn't bad as made out to be.

With that said, I have been to a few Memphis games and never heard of anyone around Tiger Lane paying to have their stuff watched. THAT would be a typical Memphis hustle. stranger being overly friendly. chats you up while figuring out who is in your party. Then hit you up for money. As soon as your party is out of sight, your $10 and stuff is gone.