PDA

View Full Version : Matt Stevens on bulldog radio

Belegal
12-30-2013, 10:12 AM
Why do they put Matt Stevens on bulldog sports radio? Said Mullen didn't care if we won last year's bowl game & Very negative on Dak's potential next year! Who picks these people? Tsun?

msstate7
12-30-2013, 10:15 AM
Dak will be perhaps the best qb in the sec next season. 17 Stevens!

Bubb Rubb
12-30-2013, 10:27 AM
Who gives a shit?

On this site today, we're worried about the Clarion Ledger, WAPT, Matt Stevens, Hotty Toddy.com, and who else?

Let it go. Stop letting this stuff get to you. We've got to stop being whiny bitches.

nemsdawg
12-30-2013, 10:37 AM
Who gives a shit?

On this site today, we're worried about the Clarion Ledger, WAPT, Matt Stevens, Hotty Toddy.com, and who else?

Let it go. Stop letting this stuff get to you. We've got to stop being whiny bitches.

(One guy standing clapping, the room follows in a standing ovation)
Had to be said. Most were thinking it.

Pollodawg
12-30-2013, 10:43 AM
MSU has never gotten any love from the "media." Don't make a shit. Four bowls in a row, one of the only teams in the conference to manage that feat recently even with one of the nation's toughest scheds the second half of the season. When you're tough, you don't need the media to licken sie dicken. We have never needed them, and we don't need them now.

Belegal
12-30-2013, 10:56 AM
I happen to think it is important to call out folks who are always negative about our program. I don't have to take it and the more people who know, the better. Quit listening to certain programs and they will go away. I know Locke's not on any more

bluelightstar
12-30-2013, 10:57 AM
That probably has more to do with his new job than with your one-man protest

Bubb Rubb
12-30-2013, 11:13 AM
I happen to think it is important to call out folks who are always negative about our program. I don't have to take it and the more people who know, the better. Quit listening to certain programs and they will go away. I know Locke's not on any more

You just hit on the solution. Quit listening to it.

We're about to play in our 4th consecutive bowl game, but all we can talk about is how we're mistreated, talked about negatively, neglected, pushed around in recruiting, etc., etc. Stop being a victim.

DawgPoundRock
12-30-2013, 11:17 AM
I agree we need to let it go. I heard stevens too and hes always negative, so its nothing surprising. On signing day we will get who wants to be a bulldog and will not who doesn't. We make stars while TSUN chases them

blacklistedbully
12-30-2013, 11:19 AM
Anyone who doesn't understand that the media is powerful, can influence public opinion, and that public opinion can and does impact our program from a recruiting standpoint, a bowl standpoint, poll standpoint, etc., is badly misguided.

While I agree we should not worry about meaningless drivel from any number of clueless, delusional Black bear fans, or take the bait from their pathetic attempts to get us to implode on recruits, those implying we should not be concerned about any of this media stuff need to get their head out of the sand.

History is replete with examples of the power media holds on society. Propaganda, for instance has led countries to war, has helped put & keep people in positions of power over others, and has absolutely shaped history. While we're not talking about the rise of the Nazi Party, the NK dictatorship, etc, it's simply naive to think our school is not impacted by media, that it can be helped or hurt by the media and public perception.

Political Hack
12-30-2013, 11:19 AM
this site has grown tremendously over the last six months. If it continue to grow, we wi be able to generate large social medi campaigns aimed at certain outlets.

Step one: Grow the site.
Step two: Crap on those who crap on MSU.

Clarion Ledger, the Columbus newspaper, Stevens at BSR, and a few others are already on the short list.

Coach34
12-30-2013, 11:21 AM
Why do they put Matt Stevens on bulldog sports radio? Said Mullen didn't care if we won last year's bowl game & Very negative on Dak's potential next year! Who picks these people? Tsun?

Bulldog Sports Radio is privately owned and in no way affiliated with Miss State

FlabLoser
12-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Bulldog Sports Radio is privately owned and in no way affiliated with Miss State

That's what we need to change. The message needs to be if you're going to make revenue covering Mississippi State, you better give a damn about Mississippi State.

Pollodawg
12-30-2013, 11:42 AM
That's what we need to change. The message needs to be if you're going to make revenue covering Mississippi State, you better give a damn about Mississippi State.

Here here.

State82
12-30-2013, 11:43 AM
Better pay attention to what blacklistedbully said. Very good and pertinent analysis.

Coach34
12-30-2013, 11:44 AM

I agree 100%

Bubb Rubb
12-30-2013, 11:59 AM
Anyone who doesn't understand that the media is powerful, can influence public opinion, and that public opinion can and does impact our program from a recruiting standpoint, a bowl standpoint, poll standpoint, etc., is badly misguided.

While I agree we should not worry about meaningless drivel from any number of clueless, delusional Black bear fans, or take the bait from their pathetic attempts to get us to implode on recruits, those implying we should not be concerned about any of this media stuff need to get their head out of the sand.

History is replete with examples of the power media holds on society. Propaganda, for instance has led countries to war, has helped put & keep people in positions of power over others, and has absolutely shaped history. While we're not talking about the rise of the Nazi Party, the NK dictatorship, etc, it's simply naive to think our school is not impacted by media, that it can be helped or hurt by the media and public perception.

I don't disagree with you. My point is that there is a difference between correcting the record and just being punchless victims. Coming on a message board to cry about what Stevens said on a radio show is the latter. He is what he is and that's not going to change. We defeat that by continuing to grow the university, grow the program, and whip their asses every Thanksgiving. It will take care of itself.

blacklistedbully
12-30-2013, 12:18 PM
I don't disagree with you. My point is that there is a difference between correcting the record and just being punchless victims. Coming on a message board to cry about what Stevens said on a radio show is the latter. He is what he is and that's not going to change. We defeat that by continuing to grow the university, grow the program, and whip their asses every Thanksgiving. It will take care of itself.

We have beaten them 4 of the last 5. We've finished ahead of them in the SEC standings 4 years-in-a-row, yet if you pay attention to the media outlets, and follow the major sports message boards, you'll find a bunch of folks talking up Ole Miss, and the vast majority crapping on us. Doesn't seem to matter that we beat them, and we give these other schools a much tougher game, the majority of those folks don't look beyond the media hype, so consistently overrate Ole Miss, calling them "dark horses" or "the one they're worried about", while we're most often thought to be an auto win.

Facts don't seem to matter to the drive-by fans. They're buying the hype that Ole Miss has always been good at selling. Sadly, there also appears to be this mentality by some "professionals" who are supposed to have informed opinions. These types do stuff like look at OM close near win versus TAMU last year, yet ignore the fact that it was close because TAMU had 7 t/o's. They look at OM beating Texas this year, yet forget what a hot mess Texas was at the time of the game. They see OM beat LSU, but don't actually watch the game to see that LSU played poorly that day, not because OM was spectacular., but because Mett couldn't hit the side-of-a-barn that day and/or their WR's were flat out dropping passes they should have caught, exactly the opposite of what happened versus us.

maroonmania
12-30-2013, 01:00 PM

No Stevens won't ever change and I'm not real sure why he hangs around the area to cover MSU since he's from the Midwest. He is one of these "journalistic idealist" who believes, as a journalist, if he is not critiquing and poking at everything relative to the program he covers he is not a TRUE journalist. Pretty obvious he's just a negative type person anyway. I think Hadad puts him on to offer a "different perspective" and tries to balance him out with the Coleman guy who is an avowed MSU fan. I sort of agree with the point of view that Stevens is who he is and if you don't like him just don't listen because you know what you're getting. I actually find him very naive and ignorant in a lot of his views on things relative to MSU.

Bubb Rubb
12-30-2013, 01:18 PM
We have beaten them 4 of the last 5. We've finished ahead of them in the SEC standings 4 years-in-a-row, yet if you pay attention to the media outlets, and follow the major sports message boards, you'll find a bunch of folks talking up Ole Miss, and the vast majority crapping on us. Doesn't seem to matter that we beat them, and we give these other schools a much tougher game, the majority of those folks don't look beyond the media hype, so consistently overrate Ole Miss, calling them "dark horses" or "the one they're worried about", while we're most often thought to be an auto win.

Facts don't seem to matter to the drive-by fans. They're buying the hype that Ole Miss has always been good at selling. Sadly, there also appears to be this mentality by some "professionals" who are supposed to have informed opinions. These types do stuff like look at OM close near win versus TAMU last year, yet ignore the fact that it was close because TAMU had 7 t/o's. They look at OM beating Texas this year, yet forget what a hot mess Texas was at the time of the game. They see OM beat LSU, but don't actually watch the game to see that LSU played poorly that day, not because OM was spectacular., but because Mett couldn't hit the side-of-a-barn that day and/or their WR's were flat out dropping passes they should have caught, exactly the opposite of what happened versus us.

The reason all of this stuff continues to happen is because we are beating them. It's the only thing they're better than us at, so they are going to try to exploit it. Once they see that it doesn't work, it will eventually stop. We just can't keep playing into the stereotype.

dawg27
12-30-2013, 01:33 PM
dont forget the daily journal in tupelo i think they are on the tsun pay roll

thunderclap
12-30-2013, 01:38 PM
These little pricks could learn a thing or two from guys like Sekou Smith and Ian Rappaport. They were smart, really got to know players and coaches, worked positive angles, therefore had great reputations and have gone on to really nice careers. Think Matt Stevens will be on anyone's radar with all his scoops he finds on message boards and negative bullshit? Nope.

blacklistedbully
12-30-2013, 01:47 PM
The reason all of this stuff continues to happen is because we are beating them. It's the only thing they're better than us at, so they are going to try to exploit it. Once they see that it doesn't work, it will eventually stop. We just can't keep playing into the stereotype.

The reason stuff other than the OM sites continues to happen is due to perception over reality. Perception can & does often trump reality and can impact reality going forward. That is why being an active participant in media is important. Ole Miss' reality sucks, but their perception is well above their reality. This helps them and hurts us.

While we can speculate that highly-rated recruits who choose them over us, are "not the kind of player that works well for us", we can't really know that they wouldn't have been great here in our environment as opposed to under-performing over there, possibly due to an overdose of koolaid & hype, or just a lack of development from the coaching staff. Do you really think we couldn't more quickly & more frequently compete with the Bama's, LSU's, etc., if we had our pick of recruits in Mississippi, not just our fair share? Ole Miss used to have it that way in the 50's & 60's. Worked out pretty well for them back then.

I believe perception (along with some fairly obvious cheating) has helped them with recruiting beyond what their reality warrants. Media plays a role in that.

justwin
12-30-2013, 02:48 PM
That and that a majority of the articles need to paint Msu in a positive light....let's face it...impartial journalism went by the wayside years ago especially with twitter quotes becoming the norm.

I agree 100%

blacklistedbully
12-30-2013, 02:56 PM
Better pay attention to what blacklistedbully said. Very good and pertinent analysis.

Thank you for the compliment!

Political Hack
12-30-2013, 03:05 PM
These little pricks could learn a thing or two from guys like Sekou Smith and Ian Rappaport. They were smart, really got to know players and coaches, worked positive angles, therefore had great reputations and have gone on to really nice careers. Think Matt Stevens will be on anyone's radar with all his scoops he finds on message boards and negative bullshit? Nope.

that's the problem. he's not good enough to ever get promoted out. he'll be a thorn in MSU's side for years because he's a prick and a shoddy journalist.

MabenMaroon
12-30-2013, 04:59 PM
that's the problem. he's not good enough to ever get promoted out. he'll be a thorn in MSU's side for years because he's a prick and a shoddy journalist. "shoddy"

You got that right, He refuses to acknowledge that Tyson Cunningham was given a scholly last spring. I called him out on it in the fall, and just called hime out on it again a few minutes ago on Twitter. He continually insults the players and coaches.