PDA

View Full Version : Rut Activity?

RougeDawg
12-29-2013, 09:35 PM
Wanted to ask about the rut activity across the state? Been hunting on my land by Amory the last few days (been all but 2 weekends consensus season opened) and we finally saw bucks chasing does yesterday and today. Big and small bucks chasing pretty heavy. Bowl game and work cut hunt trip short.

Sidewalkdawg
12-29-2013, 09:58 PM
Wide open near belzoni past few days

BeastMan
12-29-2013, 10:00 PM
From what other posters on the OD have been posting, there is some activity going on now. In another thread somebody posted about a 3 legged doe getting chased (lol). I'll leave specifics to the experts but I'm glad you're posting over here Rouge. Don't be a stranger.

hells bells
12-29-2013, 10:13 PM
Lauderdale county. Does we're hot Saturday, bucks did not show. Saw a 9 killed in Kemper yesterday. Loner, lured him with tink's.

Harrydawg
12-29-2013, 10:35 PM
Thanks for starting this thread and I wish I knew of other places where this type information can be shared.

I have a good buddy who thinks Madison county prime rut was around the 15th of December. I have hunted SW MS my whole life and we always had the most action after Christmas thru the first week in Jan.

Now, I live in Madison County but hunt Yazoo/Warren County. It has been quiet until now from reports I have received (been out of town for Christmas)....we have had some chasing and pure breed activity in the past few days. Either bucks chasing or bucks just following does, knowing that it is time. Just this afternoon, my nephew saw a nice buck at dark feeding with two does. Most likely, he was just hanging around until she was ready

RougeDawg
12-29-2013, 11:24 PM
From what other posters on the OD have been posting, there is some activity going on now. In another thread somebody posted about a 3 legged doe getting chased (lol). I'll leave specifics to the experts but I'm glad you're posting over here Rouge. Don't be a stranger.

I'll post more as I hunt the remainder of season. Been crazy with end of year closing at work, plus holidays. I forget about this forum. Been trying to hunt as much as possible. We've been seeing some rub/scrape activity for over a month now, but only pics of the big bucks checking scrapes at night. This was first weekend they've been chasing hard during daylight hours. One decent 5 point ran this doe all over my stand this morning. Was hoping he would run her by a bigger buck abc back out by me, but never did.

I've used Tinks before but never noticed it having a positive effect. I did put out one of those scrape drippers today that I've had a few years but never used. Anyone ever used one and had success? I plan on being bank this coming weekend to catch them again before end of rut.

Feel free to update this thread with rut info.

WeWillScrewItUp
12-29-2013, 11:44 PM
I was hunting in Southeast Arkansas on the Arkansas River today and had a lot of activity. It was a fun evening in the tree that's for sure.

SpeckleDawg
12-29-2013, 11:52 PM
Killed a buck in Yazoo Co. on Christmas Day that was all about the ladies. Same with the only other buck I saw that day.

trob115
12-29-2013, 11:56 PM
Hunting in Neshoba, Kemper, and Warren county. Warren county deer have been chasing for a few weeks. Here in the eastern counties we are in the prime rut. I killed a buck trailing 2 does at Christmas and hoping the big boy does the same again this week. Good luck to all!

hells bells
12-30-2013, 12:43 AM
This rain last night made for a early morning feed. We chose ducks and banged three. The deer are killing the yellow gold. Nada to eat.

State82
12-30-2013, 11:37 AM
I'm not a deer hunter, just ducks. But how long does the rut here typically last?

GlassFacedScum
12-30-2013, 11:40 AM
They just starting run heavy in my area thomastown member in club killed a really good 8 pt yesterday

hells bells
12-30-2013, 10:14 PM
They just starting run heavy in my area thomastown member in club killed a really good 8 pt yesterday

From earlier in the week. Today loner Buck at 5:05pm hunting ass. No time to take a shot at 190 yards. He did not stop for wheat. Only deer no does. Once agiain bucks ready, does not.

starkvegasdawg
12-31-2013, 08:14 AM
Guy on our property in Choctaw county shot a 12 point yesterday that was in full rut. You could smell his tarsal glands from 10 feet away and he had fight injuries on him and bits of wood in his antlers from rubbing trees.

GreaterCowbell
12-31-2013, 01:30 PM
Here in Lawrence County they seem to be in the trailing phase right before the all out chasing phase. I got this one yesterday morning just cruising for does.(hope attachment works)

Harrydawg
01-01-2014, 09:01 PM
Nice! Very unique rack!

RougeDawg
01-15-2014, 11:52 PM
Forgot to update. Been hunting every weekend but last. I'm only person out if 4 who hunt on my land not to shoot a nice sized 8+ point. They've killed 2 nice 8's, two 9's and one nice 11 point. I haven't seen shit to shoot. Only small 6's a less. Bucks never really went into all out rut. We mainly have been seeing the smaller bucks following the does. Tried to attach pic of 11 pt from phone.