PDA

View Full Version : Marlon Humphrey has scheduled his visits

MetEdDawg
12-29-2013, 08:29 PM
FSU on 1/17, UCLA on 1/19, Bama on 1/24, us on 1/26. That means he's scheduled FSU and Bama on a Friday and us and UCLA on a Sunday. Can't tell whether that is a good thing or a bad thing that he will most likely be on campus all by himself. We should be able to impress the hell out of him with it being just him, but I was really hoping he would be on campus with all the other recruits. Very interesting choice of days for him. Any thoughts about how this looks for us?

smootness
12-29-2013, 08:41 PM
He also finally publicly stated that FSU and Bama are his top two. By all means, bring him in for a visit and do everything you can, but he's not coming here. I think he likes our coaches a lot and is keeping us 'in it' as basically a favor to them.

esplanade91
12-29-2013, 08:53 PM
I'm just glad he's coming to State before FSU. I don't want Brewster to be able to sit down and nitpick everything he says he liked about us. Let Collins earn a raise.

ScoobaDawg
12-29-2013, 09:00 PM
A Sunday visit is very odd..especially the fsu to ucla cross country flight. wont surprise me at all if he skips that one. Bama to us in a weekend is obviously not a problem..
It is nice he is coming to give us a look but I'm not getting any hopes up.

RougeDawg
12-29-2013, 09:03 PM
You never know what can/will happen during any of his visits. We can most likely offer immediate PT. If he's got 3 yrs and done in mind, he may be looking for that early PT and/or a starting position. He can make the league at any of the 4 schools, but would shine at MSU, as apposed to being another blue chip guy at Bama or FSU. You never know what these guys will take away from a visit when they see they could be the best DB on the team when they step on campus. To me,ost CB's have that attitude/confidence that they are the best and nobody will beat them. Like a PG in basketba or a closer in baseball. They want to be "The Guy" to make "The Play". Maybe our coaches can sell him that.

It's time for us as fans to start believing we can land guys like this. We have a rising stock in the SEC right now, and the next step involves 9+ win seasons and landing top recruits.

Any chance Smoot just happens to drop by the football facility that day?

mic
12-29-2013, 09:12 PM
I'm just glad he's coming to State before FSU. I don't want Brewster to be able to sit down and nitpick everything he says he liked about us. Let Collins earn a raise.

It wont be brought up on his visit to FSU, but if Brewster was to bash or nitpick any school it will be Bama.. He would prob tell Hump that if he didn't come to FSU to go to MSU..

smootness
12-29-2013, 09:15 PM
It's time for us as fans to start believing we can land guys like this. We have a rising stock in the SEC right now, and the next step involves 9+ win seasons and landing top recruits.

This has nothing to do with my belief about our ability to land 'guys like this'. It has everything to do with my belief in our ability to land Marlon Humphrey. I just don't think we're really in it with a legitimate chance to land him.

Again, he just publicly stated what everyone has thought for a while, and that is that his top two are FSU and Bama.

Coach34
12-29-2013, 09:26 PM
We're 3rd in this race and have been for acouple months. Kid loves Mullen, but wants the bigtime.

Jack Lambert
12-29-2013, 10:08 PM
We're 3rd in this race and have been for acouple months. Kid loves Mullen, but wants the bigtime.

Mullen should point out how many two and three stars signees he has put into the NFL. I am not just talking MSU but he can go all the way back to his Utah days.

esplanade91
12-29-2013, 11:23 PM
Mullen should point out how many two and three stars signees he has put into the NFL. I am not just talking MSU but he can go all the way back to his Utah days.

Unfortunately Mullen wasn't the head coach or even a coordinator at Utah.

I agree that we need to start thinking we can land these guys, but at the same time we have to start separating Urban's success and Mullen's success.

We should sell Marlon on the fact that he can start game one on the very first defensive snap, and HIS coach will be a x2 SB champ from Super Bowls he's old enough to remember. He won't get that anywhere else. He can play the same teams he would at Alabama except he has a chance to BEAT Alabama with us. Brewster and Saban & Co. are a lot better at communicating those type of things than we are, which is why I'm not holding my breath.

Jacksondevildog
12-29-2013, 11:26 PM
nm

defiantdog
12-29-2013, 11:47 PM
Brewster has nothing to do with Humphrey's recruitment.... nothing. Jeremy Pruitt talks to Humphrey constantly, and has been his recruiter since day 1 at FSU. Kirby Smart might as well live at the Humphrey's house as much as he's there. Collins is our only contact yet hasn't made any in home visit. He's only visiting UCLA cause he probably wants to see what California is all about lol.

The kid just wants to be recruited like any other 5 star prospect. If he actually steps on campus, we really need to blow his mind. His dad really likes what we've done with our facilities and is surprised by our progress. We need to be Marlon Humphrey's second guess. We need him to realize he can be the guy here instead of just another guy at Alabama or FSU.

ShotgunDawg
12-30-2013, 12:00 AM
I honestly don't understand why we aren't seen as big time. The only thing that Bama has over us is the size of their stadium. Literally, we play the same schedule, and play on TV the same amount of times. We play much better competition than FSU.

The only reason that Bama and FSU are better than us is because more good players choose to go there, and the only reason more good players choose to go there is because they won some championships with teams that have nothing to do with their current team or they have a bigger stadium.

Seriously, does it matter which city you go to in the NFL, who won a championship 20 years ago, or how many people the stadium seats? NO it doesn't, but why does it matter in college football? You have no greater chance of winning a Super Bowl in Dallas or Green Bay than you do in Houston, Miami, or New York.

I just find it logically ridiculous that recruits continue to go to the same schools when the only reason they are good is because they won in the past the good players go there now.

If the good players would just choose to go to MSU, we would be just as good as Bama. There is nothing about Bama, the school, the facilities, the uniforms, etc.. that allow a kid a better opportunity to develop or win than MSU. It's all about the players.

Do you understand what I'm saying? When you watch the NFL, you realize how dumb it is that, in college football, how many games you won in 1990 matters in how many you win now. Especially when other schools play the same schedule and offer the same media exposure.

HancockCountyDog
12-30-2013, 12:11 AM
You never know what can/will happen during any of his visits. We can most likely offer immediate PT. If he's got 3 yrs and done in mind, he may be looking for that early PT and/or a starting position. He can make the league at any of the 4 schools, but would shine at MSU, as apposed to being another blue chip guy at Bama or FSU. You never know what these guys will take away from a visit when they see they could be the best DB on the team when they step on campus. To me,ost CB's have that attitude/confidence that they are the best and nobody will beat them. Like a PG in basketba or a closer in baseball. They want to be "The Guy" to make "The Play". Maybe our coaches can sell him that.

Any chance Smoot just happens to drop by the football facility that day?

Completely agree.

The focus around here has been the bears, it needs to higher.

defiantdog
12-30-2013, 12:18 AM
I honestly don't understand why we aren't seen as big time. The only thing that Bama has over us is the size of their stadium. Literally, we play the same schedule, and play on TV the same amount of times. We play much better competition than FSU.

The only reason that Bama and FSU are better than us is because more good players choose to go there, and the only reason more good players choose to go there is because they won some championships with teams that have nothing to do with their current team or they have a bigger stadium.

Seriously, does it matter which city you go to in the NFL, who won a championship 20 years ago, or how many people the stadium seats? NO it doesn't, but why does it matter in college football? You have no greater chance of winning a Super Bowl in Dallas or Green Bay than you do in Houston, Miami, or New York.

I just find it logically ridiculous that recruits continue to go to the same schools when the only reason they are good is because they won in the past the good players go there now.

If the good players would just choose to go to MSU, we would be just as good as Bama. There is nothing about Bama, the school, the facilities, the uniforms, etc.. that allow a kid a better opportunity to develop or win than MSU. It's all about the players.

Do you understand what I'm saying? When you watch the NFL, you realize how dumb it is that, in college football, how many games you won in 1990 matters in how many you win now. Especially when other schools play the same schedule and offer the same media exposure.

Sometimes you think there might be another incentive lol

CadaverDawg
12-30-2013, 01:34 AM
We're bound to have some money leftover from what we saved on Cam that we could throw at him*

bluelightstar
12-30-2013, 01:38 AM
I think I understand the point, but saying that stadium size is the only thing Bama has us over us is asinine.

MetEdDawg
12-30-2013, 01:49 AM
I think I understand the point, but saying that stadium size is the only thing Bama has us over us is asinine.

Agreed. Multiple national titles that are very very recent, multiple recent first round draft picks, and the amount and quality of tv and media they get over us is very real. We may play roughly the same competition, but how many CBS games to we get in a time slot where the SEC game is clearly the prime time game? Bama has more money, bigger stadium, bigger name, and the reason it's like this is because of their history. That's why we are trying to rewrite our recent history so that people can see we have a track record of doing well and performing at a high level.

The whole reason good recruits don't come to MSU over Bama is because of all of that. We would get those recruits if we had what Bama had. That's why we have to continue to work to put a consistently competitive product on the field so that these kids coming up have a history of MSU being successful and something they can see themselves being part of.

Bully Dee Williams
12-30-2013, 01:51 AM
I'm not getting my hopes up for marlon or Epps. I'm glad we are going hard after them. Unfortunately, I think Humphries is just paying us a courtesy visit and I'm not sure what Epps' motivation is? I hope I'm wrong on both fronts, as both are good kids.

Dawg61
12-30-2013, 02:23 AM
Bama has Nick Saban. Saban is why they've become so dominant.

bully99
12-30-2013, 08:33 AM
Am I missing something. The original post said he was visiting FSU on 1/17 and MSU on 1/26.Then esplande91 said it's a good thing he's coming to Starkville before he goes to FSU. Are we changing the calendar next year.

blacklistedbully
12-30-2013, 09:20 AM
You have no greater chance of winning a Super Bowl in Dallas or Green Bay than you do in Houston, Miami, or New York.

While I understand the point you're trying to make, and agree with almost all your other posts, I think you've strayed off the reservation with this one a bit. In the NFL, it absolutely can & does matter which team you are on. There is a reason teams like the 49er's, Packers, Cowboys, & Patriots have appeared in and/or won multiple Super Bowls in recent history while the vast majority of NFL teams have never made an appearance.

It may be a self-fulfilling prophecy due to the players who choose to go there, but then it also may be the coaching staffs and/or that elusive "winning attitude". When a team is perceived to be a "winner", they not only attract "winners" but they also have a winning atmosphere, perhaps an air-of-expectation that permeates the team, causing all the guys who go there to work as hard as they can, and against a team full of guys feeling and working the same way. It elevates the individual to his peak, and when all your players are doing that, you've got something special.

That's a powerful aphrodisiac to players who want to be a part of greatness like that.

The thing we can sell against that is a recruit having a better chance at being the man here, while still in the SEC, and also that very, very special opportunity to be a factor in actually winning big here at MSU. Win an SEC Championship at MSU (which would get us in the playoffs for a national championship), and you're a bigger part of something that is even more special than "getting another one" at Bama, FSU, etc. But we have to show we are capable of actually getting there. We need to convince these guys we are really "on-the-cusp" and could get there with their help.

We've progressed to the point where we can legitimately talk about making higher end bowls just below the BCS level. But in order to attract the level and quantity of players the blue-blood programs get, we have to demonstrate we are close to being capable of actually making a NC game if we get that one or two special player to put us over the top.

Maybe the switch to a playoff will help us, as we won't have to fight the "public perception" as much. We now know if we win the SEC West, we have a great shot of winning the SEC, and if we win that, we are in the playoffs without question. Sure, winning the SEC would have likely got us a shot at the NC anyway, but it just seems less a pipe-dream to sell, "we can win the West and make the playoffs" than to try and convince them we can win a national championship.

bully99
12-30-2013, 11:47 AM
Maybe we can convince Humphrey that he already has a coliseum named after him.

Pollodawg
12-30-2013, 12:10 PM
The camel needs two humps, but Marlon is so damned good we'll only need one if he signs here. Ok, That was awful. I apologize.

dickiedawg
12-30-2013, 12:20 PM
Yes, but if you read the rest of the post you can tell what he meant.

HailState2008
12-30-2013, 12:22 PM

Im a hardcore state fan but....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0&feature=youtube_gdata_player