PDA

View Full Version : Gameday Forecast: Bowl of Rice edition

TheRef
12-29-2013, 03:46 PM
Well it's finally that wonderful time of the year where we get to do a forecast for our Bowl game against the Owls of Rice. Game time is 3:00 PM CST in the great town of Memphis, TN. I'll do a tailgate forecast (11-2) and a game forecast (3-6). I think that would be good enough, I can do a midnight forecast later on if y'all would like. But here we go!

Tailgate
Clear skies, Temp around 44 degrees and rising throughout the period. No chance of rain, obviously, so we won't have to bring the rain jackets out. Winds will be light out of the NE becoming calm as the day moves on.

Gametime

Kickoff: 47 degrees, clear skies will persist throughout the period, winds will be light from the NE becoming calmer.

Halftime: 46 degrees, clear skies.

Lifting up the Bell: 43 degrees, clear skies.

I hope y'all enjoy.

gravedigger
12-29-2013, 03:49 PM
Hell of a service you provide there, ref.

TheRef
12-29-2013, 03:58 PM
Hell of a service you provide there, ref.

No problem. I enjoy doing it and it gives me experience in improving my forecast methods. If y'all want to say hi during the bowl, I'll be in Sec. 118, Row 51

starkvegasdawg
12-29-2013, 04:35 PM
Ref,

What's your thoughts on the new weather network on direct? At least they only do weather. On the flip side they don't seem to have the eye candy requirement the weather channel does for on air meteorologists. To me it seems like you're watching your local network weather nonstop.

TheRef
12-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Ref,

What's your thoughts on the new weather network on direct? At least they only do weather. On the flip side they don't seem to have the eye candy requirement the weather channel does for on air meteorologists. To me it seems like you're watching your local network weather nonstop.

I heard about this a while ago. Network Weather, right? I like it, personally as a weather geek. They may not have the eye-candy, but that will come. You have to remember that TWC is owned by NBC so they have a better pull for talent than a startup network like this. It will come in time.

bully99
12-29-2013, 05:12 PM
Does the "weather network"have any MSU grads on there.
Ref, let us know how the "refs "do in the bowl game.

TheRef
12-29-2013, 05:14 PM

I'm not sure of any grads at network weather.
I'll definitely keep an eye on the refs as much as I can.

TheRef
12-29-2013, 09:41 PM
Bump for PSA

TheRef
12-29-2013, 10:07 PM
Latest forecasts show no changes. Hail State.

MabenMaroon
12-29-2013, 11:28 PM

Weather Nation is a couple of years old, been on independent local TV broadcasts here and there, Dish Network used them during their contract holdout with TWC a year or so ago.
Most of their meteorologists are from U of Minn, Iowa and Penn State. No MSU grads that I have read about.

TheRef
12-30-2013, 05:02 PM
24-hour update: All indications are that it will be slightly (1-2 degrees) cooler than previously thought. I'm adjusting the forecasts accordingly. The snow will be melted before the game tomorrow and there is no indication of snowfall at all tomorrow so no worries from that side of the forecast.

Tailgate

We're going to start off around 40 degrees and increase steadily up to our high of 46 which will be reached around kickoff. Skies will be clear with winds light (< 5 mph) from the North and shifting towards the East as the day goes on.

Gametime

Kickoff: 46 degrees. Winds light from the ESE and decreasing slowly. Clear skies.

Halftime: 43 degrees. Winds light from the S and continuing the decreasing trend. Clear skies

Lifting up the Bell: 39 degrees. Calm winds. Clear skies.

quickstrike2
12-30-2013, 05:10 PM
Ref, dumb question but bored at work. Do you know how cold it was at the 07 Liberty Bowl. I know it was one of the colder games i been to, and just trying to compare how it should be be at this one.

TheRef
12-30-2013, 05:16 PM
Ref, dumb question but bored at work. Do you know how cold it was at the 07 Liberty Bowl. I know it was one of the colder games i been to, and just trying to compare how it should be be at this one.

Assuming the same start and finish times:

Kickoff: 45

Halftime: 39

End of Game: 37

quickstrike2
12-30-2013, 05:20 PM
Assuming the same start and finish times:

Kickoff: 45

Halftime: 39

End of Game: 37

Appreciate it. Almost the same temps.