PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting thoughts

Todd4State
12-29-2013, 01:11 AM
I enjoy and follow recruiting. What I enjoy about it is seeing these players go from high school to college and then end up like Nikoe Whitley, or Gabe Jackson. It's a process.

Now, part of that process is picking a college. We have to remember that these are high school kids. Think back to your senior year in high school- most of us visited colleges and looked around. And for some of us that was even if we knew we were going to MSU. We got to miss school and maybe we got to visit somewhere cool like New York City or wherever.

I can only imagine what being a senior in high school is like for a blue chip high school football player. I'm sure these players and their families get bombarded by schools. I'm sure it gets crazy. I don't know how I would respond to a guy like Yancy stalking me at a gas station bathroom at 2 AM in Pontotoc County. I've often wondered how my parents would have responded to the craziness- probably by telling me to commit to MSU and end everything. I also think that a lot of these football players have perspective. They know that this is the one time in their life that they get to do this. Some are going to take advantage of that. Some are going to do like Devon Desper and Ryan Buchanan and commit and let that be the end of it.

But the ones that want to enjoy it- let them enjoy it. And have faith in our coaches that they are going to get the job done and keep our recruits. We have a GREAT product at MSU right now. New facilities, a very nicely renovated stadium with a new end zone about to open up, we're putting players in the NFL, and we're going to our fourth bowl in a row. And in case no one noticed- we kicked a certain school that likes to win the press conferences ass four times the last five years. Let them win the press conference- we'll win the trophy.

There are going to be rumors the next few weeks about players all over the country- including some of ours. Just let things play out. Remember- things got crazy with Chris Jones last year- and now he is throwing up the fins up symbol- after he devours Bo Wallace.

SDDawg
12-29-2013, 01:39 AM
Well said, the kids that are really good that commit early are more often than not going to have some second thoughts at the end and want to explore. No real surprise there. And Ole Miss is frankly better at handling this than State fans in my opinion, they know this process well and they say all the right things up until the end (or until they cut bait) and then they trash the kids mercilessly. We should give the kids credit, they can figure this out and make the right decision.