PDA

View Full Version : Derek Pegues ?

BossDawg
12-29-2013, 12:22 AM
Whatever happened to the guy? And not necessarily a "what's he up to now" sort of question....but how did he end up NOT being an NFL standout? Seemed like you could always count on him to grab an INT or three per game.

Todd4State
12-29-2013, 12:29 AM
He was a great player, but Pegues is only about 5'8". That was his issue.

Bark
12-29-2013, 12:37 AM
He gained too much weight through college and didn't maintain his speed. I think he ended up running a 4.8 forty at pro day or the combine. As a db that's not gonna cut it in the NFL but glad he was on our side.

War Machine Dawg
12-29-2013, 01:16 AM
To be honest, DP has no one to blame for his failure to make the NFL other than DP. He was big enough, but got too muscled up and lost some speed. Then he had an absolutely terrible Combine. And he topped it off by letting the left handed cigarettes cause him to miss OTAs with the Giants, as best I remember. Basically, DP just plain screwed himself. It sucks, because he had the talent to be as good as he wanted. I would love to have seen what he'd have been under Mullen instead of Crxxms. Hell, we might have even seen him touch the ball on offense some.

preachermatt83
12-29-2013, 03:10 PM
To be honest, DP has no one to blame for his failure to make the NFL other than DP. He was big enough, but got too muscled up and lost some speed. Then he had an absolutely terrible Combine. And he topped it off by letting the left handed cigarettes cause him to miss OTAs with the Giants, as best I remember. Basically, DP just plain screwed himself. It sucks, because he had the talent to be as good as he wanted. I would love to have seen what he'd have been under Mullen instead of Crxxms. Hell, we might have even seen him touch the ball on offense some.

Him not playing some offensive plays on a regular basis was one of the biggest crimes of the croom era. DP was an absolute freak of nature.

Todd4State
12-29-2013, 03:31 PM
Him not playing some offensive plays on a regular basis was one of the biggest crimes of the croom era. DP was an absolute freak of nature.

I used to work with a guy that was a walk-on for us during the Croom era. He said that we would work on some plays with Pegues on offense and then we would never run them during a game.

thedawg
12-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Pagues had an Lsu offer among other big time places to be a tailback.. He came to us partly because he thought his best route to NFL was as a db.. I agree that he was better with the ball in his hands but Croom was hard headed to a fault... I remember him basically being quoted as this is the SEC not South Panola High School. Saying he couldn't play both ways.... Pissed off a bunch of panolians