PDA

View Full Version : ESPN reporting that the Texans are about to offer

Thick
12-28-2013, 06:07 PM
the Fighting Sanduskeys coach, Bill O'Brien. DM's dream job might be coming open boys!

TrapGame
12-28-2013, 06:18 PM
So...(sigh)...you're saying we might still end up with Hud as our new coach? smh.

Thick
12-28-2013, 06:20 PM
Nope, just reporting what's being reported.

SDDawg
12-28-2013, 06:21 PM
Mullen isn't going to Penn State and Stricklin won't get Hud-winked. Dan will be in Starkville for at least a few more years. Plus he's a young man, could always take the Penn State job in 10 years and still have another 10 - 15 to go. It's not like another JoePa is going to sit in that chair for 40 years up there. Nothing to see here...

Todd4State
12-28-2013, 06:25 PM
If a coach were to leave us in any sport, I would much prefer it be because said coach was wanted by other schools as opposed to being fired.

Whomever our coach is next year- whether it be Dan, Hud, or Jon Gruden- they're going to be walking into a really good situation next year.

A good QB who is a leader, 3/5 of our o-line, two quality running backs in Robinson and Shumpert, all of our WR's and TE's, at least 3/4 of our d-line including a likely future first round pick in Chris Jones, a really good group of LB's including 2 starters returning, and a talented secondary. Kicker is an issue, but we should be solid in the other phases of special teams as well.

HoopsDawg
12-28-2013, 06:25 PM
I think Dan is a great fit there. I really do. He should be on their short list.

TrapGame
12-28-2013, 06:26 PM
MSU>PSU for Mullen at this point. There is about to be a maroon resurgence not seen in many a year.

Todd4State
12-28-2013, 06:26 PM
Mullen isn't going to Penn State and Stricklin won't get Hud-winked. Dan will be in Starkville for at least a few more years. Plus he's a young man, could always take the Penn State job in 10 years and still have another 10 - 15 to go. It's not like another JoePa is going to sit in that chair for 40 years up there. Nothing to see here...

IF it's his dream job, I can't see him waiting around 10-15 years for it. But that's assuming that Penn State actually is his dream job.

CadaverDawg
12-28-2013, 06:28 PM
Dan knows that next year he has a chance to put himself at the top of many lists. I think he knows what he's got in Dak, and will be here a minimum of 2 more years.

Bully Dee Williams
12-28-2013, 06:29 PM
Mullen isn't going to Penn State. Just don't see it happening.

HoopsDawg
12-28-2013, 06:30 PM
IF it's his dream job, I can't see him waiting around 10-15 years for it. But that's assuming that Penn State actually is his dream job.

He grew up in the North. He had Penn State sheets on his bed. If PSU is interested, and that's a big IF, it will come down to what Megan wants. And where they want to raise their family. The PSU job is better than the MSU job according to everyone but MSU fans.

Thick
12-28-2013, 06:37 PM
Right now, Franklin is a good candidate for the job, and he's from Pennsylvania. The list I saw of possible candidates did not include Dan.

Dawg61
12-28-2013, 06:40 PM
I'd say before Penn State joined the B1G it was a top 10 job but it's fallen back considerably now after not dominating the B1G like they thought they would and of course the huge scandal.

HoopsDawg
12-28-2013, 06:42 PM
Right now, Franklin is a good candidate for the job, and he's from Pennsylvania. The list I saw of possible candidates did not include Dan.

ESPN is pimping Al Golden. Mullen would probably be down their list a good bit.

bulldawg28
12-28-2013, 06:44 PM
Mullen is a dawg and that's a great thing.

messageboardsuperhero
12-28-2013, 06:47 PM
ESPN is pimping Al Golden. Mullen would probably be down their list a good bit.

PSU probably wants to stay with a pro-style system- Golden would be a good fit if he wants it.

nsvltndog
12-28-2013, 06:52 PM
Mike Munchak from the Titans is a PSU grad and will also likely be a candidate. He's busy denying interest right now which means he could be hired shortly.

Todd4State
12-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Mike Munchak from the Titans is a PSU grad and will also likely be a candidate. He's busy denying interest right now which means he could be hired shortly.

One things for sure- we know it WON'T be former PSU LB Matt Millen. Putting together an 0-16 NFL team is quite a feat.

HoopsDawg
12-28-2013, 07:01 PM

Munchak would be a great fit at PSU, but it's pretty rare to leave an NFL head job for a college head job unless you are on the hot seat.

Saltydog
12-28-2013, 07:48 PM
nt

bully99
12-28-2013, 07:49 PM
Some Penn State recruit said he talked to O'Brien after the rumor started and O'Brien said he's NOT going anywhere. Take it for what it's worth.

SDDawg
12-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Some Penn State recruit said he talked to O'Brien after the rumor started and O'Brien said he's NOT going anywhere. Take it for what it's worth.

Good thing coaches never lie to recruits. *******

War Machine Dawg
12-28-2013, 08:12 PM
Not a big fan of this hire for the Texans, if true. I think O'Brien is a good coach, but Lovie Smith is/was available.

As for PSU, they are literally almost the only school I'd worry that Mullen would leave us for. He may be down their list a little, but he'd be good for their program. We'll just have to wait and see what happens. But I'll say this: If Mullen DOES end up bolting for PSU, we don't need to just anoint Hud as the heir apparent. I want us to at least talk to Chad Morris and see if we could pry him away from Clemson.

Harrydawg
12-28-2013, 08:21 PM

This...I heard that on H2H last week. Franklin is PS bound

bully99
12-28-2013, 08:23 PM
I'm not a Mullen hater, but can you imagine Penn State trying to sell their fans on Dan Mullen. Doesn't have a reputation as a great Coach or recruiter. Has spent five years just kind of muddling through. The national media would have a field day with that hire.

preachermatt83
12-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Penn State would not want Dan Mullen. The List would be Shiano, Golden, and Franklin... Seriously just watch Al Golden, Is he not like the second coming of Joe Pa?

HoopsDawg
12-28-2013, 09:12 PM
I'm not a Mullen hater, but can you imagine Penn State trying to sell their fans on Dan Mullen. Doesn't have a reputation as a great Coach or recruiter. Has spent five years just kind of muddling through. The national media would have a field day with that hire.

Recruiting is a heck of a lot easier at Penn State and the Big 10. There are lot of kids that go to PSU no matter what. And until Urban Meyer joined the conference they pretty much quit recruiting a kid once he commits.

hacker
12-28-2013, 09:49 PM
Al Golden is lookin' good tonight

MarketingBully01
12-28-2013, 10:00 PM
He never said PSU was his dream job btw. I thought Notre Dame was his dream job. His dad went to PSU otherwise there are no connections there.

Bothrops
12-28-2013, 10:14 PM
Penn St., much like ND, Pitt, and Miami is a has-been program.

DownwardDawg
12-28-2013, 10:15 PM
Colin Cowherd nailed this one. The day after the Texans fired their coach, Cowherd was pimping Obrien as the replacement.

DownwardDawg
12-28-2013, 10:20 PM
Penn St., much like ND, Pitt, and Miami is a has-been program.

Surely you dont believe that. Let ND make the right hire and they'll play for NC's regularly. Penn State also. A Nick Saban would be unbelievable at ND.

preachermatt83
12-28-2013, 10:24 PM
Al Golden is lookin' good tonight

actually he is.. having Miami, after the ncaa fiasco, in a decent bowl this year is quite an achievement.

CadaverDawg
12-28-2013, 10:25 PM
Surely you dont believe that. Let ND make the right hire and they'll play for NC's regularly. Penn State also. A Nick Saban would be unbelievable at ND.

Haha, A Nick Saban would be unbelievable at MSU too!

Tbonewannabe
12-29-2013, 01:07 PM
Recruiting is a heck of a lot easier at Penn State and the Big 10. There are lot of kids that go to PSU no matter what. And until Urban Meyer joined the conference they pretty much quit recruiting a kid once he commits.

I think Mullen will be on the list but probably further down the list than we have to worry. It will be interesting if he even interviews. I would think where to raise their kids will be a big factor if he ever goes anywhere. Starkville area schools need to get better for any retention of MSU employees.

Political Hack
12-29-2013, 01:55 PM
why the hell would Franklin be higher on any list than Mullen? CDM has done as much if not more in the sec against a more difficult division than Franklin.

Martianlander
12-29-2013, 06:45 PM
One things for sure- we know it WON'T be former PSU LB Matt Millen. Putting together an 0-16 NFL team is quite a feat.

Good point. I can't believe Millen was hired to do "expert " commentary after being such a disaster putting a team together.

civildawg
12-29-2013, 07:10 PM
This. I'm not a huge Mullen fan but I don't see the fascination over franklin. I think him and Mullen are equal as head coaches