PDA

View Full Version : SEC Most Underrated

DCdawg
12-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Sorry if this has already been posted. Thought it was interesting that we had so many make it, yet Ole Miss, for instance, didn't have any. That kind of makes me want to see a Most Overrated list.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/sec-all-underrated-team-2013/

archdog
12-28-2013, 10:15 AM
I would say kardashian would make the overrated list. Paidwell and conner are the real deal though.

SDDawg
12-28-2013, 11:00 AM
I would say kardashian would make the overrated list. Paidwell and conner are the real deal though.

Conner is definitely the real deal, to me the jury is out on Paidwell. That strip he made in the Egg Bowl shows that his awareness seems to be good, but does the dude run any routes or just catch screen passes? He's physical for sure, but if you pound on him can he make you pay for it? I haven't seen that yet. He averaged 8.3 yards per catch on 67 receptions with 5 TDs. Derunnya averaged 13.7 ypc on 29 receptions with 3 TDs. A top WR like Beckham from LSU averaged 19.6 ypc. Elite? I don't see it.

nemsdawg
12-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Whitley played with a torn ACL! That still blows my mind. I can count on 1 hand the times I have heard of this happening. The others I have heard of were linemen, not a safety. A torn ACL! Just had to say that again. He basically made the two biggest plays of the season on a freaking torn ACL! That dude needs an award or one named after him. That is what you call going above and beyond. He has gone from a player I constantly bashed to one of the players I will talk about for years to come.

Jacksondevildog
12-28-2013, 12:05 PM
Treadwell is the real deal. I don't like to say it, but I've seen enough. He just doesn't have top end speed, hence the bubble screens and outs thrown to him on the edge. He is physical and has great instincts.

SDDawg
12-28-2013, 12:09 PM
Treadwell is the real deal. I don't like to say it, but I've seen enough. He just doesn't have top end speed, hence the bubble screens and outs thrown to him on the edge. He is physical and has great instincts.

Is he playing out of position then? His stats just don't jump off the page and I saw him in several games, wasn't any more impressed with his play than I would be with Derunnya, Jameon or even MJ. He makes some plays but so do a lot of guys.

Jacksondevildog
12-28-2013, 12:24 PM
I think they played him in the slot some this year. He's more of an outside guy in my opinion. I agree about Derunna. I feel that he was really good and probably should have played more. Next year will be his coming our party, but I hope that he's stalk blocking a ton because we are RTGDF.

messageboardsuperhero
12-28-2013, 12:38 PM
They should move Treadwell to the outside next year with Logan and Moncrief moving on next year. That will be a better fit for him IMO. Treadwell is a really good receiver, although I don't take much from his stats this year because of the absurd amount of bubble screens he caught.

messageboardsuperhero
12-28-2013, 12:40 PM
I think they played him in the slot some this year. He's more of an outside guy in my opinion. I agree about Derunna. I feel that he was really good and probably should have played more. Next year will be his coming our party, but I hope that he's stalk blocking a ton because we are RTGDF.

Bear Wilson is very a good and physical blocker, and should be even better next year. Blocking is something he seems to take real pride in.

gravedigger
12-28-2013, 12:41 PM
he is misused. He should be pushing defenses down the field more, but his qb just doesn't have the arm and nor do they have the OL to protect the qb for very long.

If OM gets a bruising RB, a better line and starts using Treadwell correctly, they can be much better than they were this year. I think Wallace holds them back.

I'm not saying Treadwell shouldn't catch quick passes, but he shouldn't do it as often as he does.

He's sort of like Perkins for us. He should, at times run between the tackles, but not nearly to the extent we ask him to.

I am very impressed with Treadwell. I think he'll be on to the NFL the second he's given the chance. As well he should be.

We haven't gotten Wilson the ball enough, for a similar reason that OM hasn't gotten Treadwell downfield. We would struggle to hold blocks that long in the pocket. This is why I pitched such a fit about our obsession with pocket passing this year. The qb has to be able to move out of the pocket and then throw down field.

I sure hope to see us do that this coming season. I sure hope Freeze never figures out just what Treadwell is capable of. He's capable of so much more.

Coach34
12-28-2013, 01:48 PM
Their big 4 are good. Kimchee was a good player this year, he just wasnt Chris Jones good. Got too much hype, but he still aint bad.
Conner and Paidwell are the real deal for sure and will be 3 year players then moving on.
Tunsil played pretty well but he has some toughness questions to answer moving forward

OM has to replace 5 of their top 10 on the OL for 2014. How well they are able to fix the OL and injuries that group suffers will decide their fate in 2014. Freezus is 6-10 in the SEC and thats not going to improve until their OL gets more physical

engie
12-28-2013, 01:58 PM
They lose 5 of the top 10 -- and 3 of the remaining 5 are currently out with injuries. Morris and Golson's were major -- Tunsil's isn't exactly minor either.

They are relying on a perfect storm of development, recruiting, and no injuries in hopes of getting their OL up to speed for next season. It might work out for them -- or it might spell disaster. Pretty bad that Freeze is still living on that ragged edge in year 3. After all, that was what they told us when we had our own OL troubles in year 3...

gravedigger
12-28-2013, 02:09 PM
OM has to replace 5 of their top 10 on the OL for 2014. How well they are able to fix the OL and injuries that group suffers will decide their fate in 2014. Freezus is 6-10 in the SEC and thats not going to improve until their OL gets more physical

Good info. Didn't realize they were in that kind of shape on the ol.

I was expecting them to win at least 7-8 next year. Not so sure now. Of course our success depends on the same unit.

Coach34
12-28-2013, 02:14 PM

I was expecting them to win at least 7-8 next year. Not so sure now. Of course our success depends on the same unit.

We return 7/10 plus Malone who went down in Game 1

Barkman Turner Overdrive
12-28-2013, 02:15 PM
Paidwell was a very good investment for the Bears. He will be All SEC the next two seasons and go in the first round in two years.

messageboardsuperhero
12-28-2013, 02:34 PM

I still expect them to win 7 games next year, maybe even 8 with some breaks. The question is- will that be enough to satisfy the crazies in Oxford who have a "9 wins or bust" mentality.

You're just not going to be able to win too many more games than that in the SEC without a physical presence at the line of scrimmage. You can out-finesse Troy and lower-tier SEC teams, but the gimmick bubble screen shit doesn't work against good defenses for 60 minutes.

Coach34
12-28-2013, 02:43 PM
I still expect them to win 7 games next year, maybe even 8 with some breaks. The question is- will that be enough to satisfy the crazies in Oxford who have a "9 wins or bust" mentality.

You're just not going to be able to win too many more games than that in the SEC without a physical presence at the line of scrimmage. You can out-finesse Troy and lower-tier SEC teams, but the gimmick bubble screen shit doesn't work against good defenses for 60 minutes.

OM gets Auburn, Bama, and State at home. All 3 have physical DL's that will give the BearSharks trouble. I think Tenn is their other home opponent and they should be improved.
OM travels to LSU, A&M, UPig, and Vandy. Having all your toss-up games on the road is always a tough proposition.

They could very, very easily be 3-5 in the SEC again in 2014.

SDDawg
12-28-2013, 02:55 PM
OM gets Auburn, Bama, and State at home. All 3 have physical DL's that will give the BearSharks trouble. I think Tenn is their other home opponent and they should be improved.
OM travels to LSU, A&M, UPig, and Vandy. Having all your toss-up games on the road is always a tough proposition.

They could very, very easily be 3-5 in the SEC again in 2014.

OM wins 6 or 7 games next year. Getting to 8 is a huge stretch but 5 isn't out of the realm of possibility, even considering that high school team they're playing.

Bully Dee Williams
12-28-2013, 03:59 PM
I'm just not buying the hype for OM. Most of those guys are will get in the league on their measurables, but I don't see anything special. Tunsil is soft. Knemdiche is an ego driven head case. Conner is a tremendous player, but what position is he going to play at the next level? Treadwell is a tough possession type receiver. Is he a game changer? I don't think so. He is going to regress next year without Logan and Moncrief to draw defenders away from him.