PDA

View Full Version : Attrition candidates???

Coach34
04-25-2013, 09:13 AM
Here is a list of names that could/should be considered for attrition. Some may not even be on scholly- I'm just going thru the Spring roster:

Ricco Sanders
Sam Cowart
Ivan Muniz

There were plenty of other names- but they were guys I'm sure were walk-ons- though maybe had been put on scholly

We have a real problem come this Feb...shit we have a young team

Goat Holder
04-25-2013, 09:46 AM
As far as youth, I am not worried about that for this year or next. I'm more worried about 2015 where we'll have the young OL.

Ricco Sanders has played a good bit and is a Sr. Why would he transfer now? I really don't see much of any scholarship players leaving.

Coach34
04-25-2013, 09:56 AM
As far as youth, I am not worried about that for this year or next. I'm more worried about 2015 where we'll have the young OL.

Ricco Sanders has played a good bit and is a Sr. Why would he transfer now? I really don't see much of any scholarship players leaving.

Ricco is a Sr and is not even on the 2-deep...he needs to go to Delta State and help them- we need the scholarship

As far as the OL- we will bring in some jucos. That's a given

PMDawg
04-25-2013, 10:00 AM
Ricco has actually seen some PT on the field. I would have expected him to contribute some this year as one of the few veterans we have at WR.

Big4Dawg
04-25-2013, 10:02 AM
Corvell Harrison-Gay - only upper class men not on the 2 deep.

PMDawg
04-25-2013, 10:03 AM
I agree. I don't think we are young so much as we are finally hitting the red shirt bubble created by the Mullen approach vs Croom. It should stabilize after this year. If Mullen left now, the new coach would actually have a foundation to build from instead of having to start from scratch.

Coach34
04-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Ricco has actually seen some PT on the field. I would have expected him to contribute some this year as one of the few veterans we have at WR.

We are going to play with 2 TE's more on offense this year- sometimes even 3 TE's...that leaves 2 WR's and sometimes 1 WR in the formation

Our WR's:

Robert Johnson
Jameon Lewis
Fred Brown
Jeremy Chappele
Joe Morrow
Brandon Holloway

Would you rather have Ricco fighting for the leftover reps or Freshman Fred Ross getting some experience?

Bo Darville
04-25-2013, 10:20 AM
Would you rather have Ricco fighting for the leftover reps or Freshman Fred Ross getting some experience?

I agree that Ross is the better candidate. I don't totally understand one thing about Ricco leaving. We need scholarships for the new class we will sign in February. Right now there are less than 20 slots available. How will Ricco transferring help? He is a senior, so his scholarship will be avaible for that class anyway.

Goat Holder
04-25-2013, 10:23 AM
I agree. I don't think we are young so much as we are finally hitting the red shirt bubble created by the Mullen approach vs Croom. It should stabilize after this year. If Mullen left now, the new coach would actually have a foundation to build from instead of having to start from scratch.

While I think Croom left Mullen a good foundation himself, I will say there were some glaring holes, and most of them came out in 2011.

Big4Dawg
04-25-2013, 10:26 AM
I agree that Ross is the better candidate. I don't totally understand one thing about Ricco leaving. We need scholarships for the new class we will sign in February. Right now there are less than 20 slots available. How will Ricco transferring help? He is a senior, so his scholarship will be avaible for that class anyway.
Maybe Steven Bench? Just a thought.

Coach34
04-25-2013, 10:27 AM
How will Ricco transferring help? He is a senior, so his scholarship will be avaible for that class anyway.

I'm a dumbass

juniors like Muniz though and some others need to ship out

Coach34
04-25-2013, 10:28 AM

true- Ricco leaving would help there

hailmari
04-25-2013, 10:31 AM
I heard a rumor of Corvell doing some offensive work this Spring, no idea how true that is...But it could indicate that they have other plans for him.

Bo Darville
04-25-2013, 10:38 AM
That is the thing about losing guys like Knox, Redmond, and Lawson along the O-line. You hate to see guys leave or not pan out, and you lose depth when they do. However, if they weren't capable of contributing at the necessary level, then we are better off because it opens up a scholarship for someone who might can contribute.

Without a doubt, the worst scholarship to give is to someone who plays a full 5 years (redshirt plus 4) and never sees the field for any reasonable time.

Big4Dawg
04-25-2013, 10:39 AM
I'm a dumbass

juniors like Muniz though and some others need to ship out

Ivan Muniz isn't on scholarship. His brother is though and is 2nd string guard.

BeastMan
04-25-2013, 10:40 AM
I don't think Ivan is on scholarship. I hate doing this but if you made me:

1) Ricco
2) Harrison-Gay
3) John Harris
4) Paul Thompson
5) Taveze Calhoun (medical)

I hate picking guys for this but there's my top 5. The thing is, all those guys are good players. Shows you how far the program has come when an athlete like Harris won't ever get in the DE mix. 2 of the guys I suggested are seniors so it wouldn't do much good. Calhoun is a good player but has been injured more than healthy and CB looks fine this spring. Thompson has shown a lot of progression and certainly isn't Lawson or Knox, but he doesn't get many 2nd team reps.

There could also be a surprise or 2 for a discipline issue that pops up. And I have no idea who, just saying you can't predict that type of thing.

ETA- Sam Cowart isn't on scholarship either

Homedawg
04-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Here is a list of names that could/should be considered for attrition. Some may not even be on scholly- I'm just going thru the Spring roster:

Ricco Sanders
Sam Cowart
Ivan Muniz

There were plenty of other names- but they were guys I'm sure were walk-ons- though maybe had been put on scholly

We have a real problem come this Feb...shit we have a young team

Ivan and Sam not on scholarship.

Big4Dawg
04-25-2013, 10:59 AM
Paul Thompson isn't on scholarship. Right? Never heard of him. John Harris is someone I can see moving on.

BeastMan
04-25-2013, 11:04 AM
I thought he was. He was a Hargrave guy if I remember correctly. Hate even suggesting him. He seems like a really good dude

Big4Dawg
04-25-2013, 11:08 AM
Walk on:
"I am going to be walking on at Mississippi State University," said Paul. "I had some offers from some 1-AA schools and invitations to walk on at Mississippi State and NC State. After visiting the campus, I knew Mississippi State was the place for me."

engie
04-25-2013, 11:21 AM
What we are establishing here is that the attrition we are going to have, we aren't going to really like even though it's absolutely necessary at this point. Good players that we've felt all along had good potential are going to have to be let go so the next crop can be brought in.

5 classes on campus = 17 players/class = 85 scholarship limit. I think we take 22 or so in every class going forward to account for some attrition. You can bet that we will have some early attrition in the 2013 class as well from guys that just can't cut it at the college level -- just like we did in the 2012 class.

PMDawg
04-25-2013, 11:35 AM

seems to be a disciplinary issue, but I'd take a flyer on him over Ricco at this point.

Coach made a good point about not needing him.

HereComesTheSpiral
04-25-2013, 12:28 PM
That is the thing about losing guys like Knox, Redmond, and Lawson along the O-line. You hate to see guys leave or not pan out, and you lose depth when they do. However, if they weren't capable of contributing at the necessary level, then we are better off because it opens up a scholarship for someone who might can contribute.

Without a doubt, the worst scholarship to give is to someone who plays a full 5 years (redshirt plus 4) and never sees the field for any reasonable time.
If only Templeton Hardy would've followed them, what a waste he was.

Political Hack
04-25-2013, 06:41 PM
Griffin (medical)
Muniz
Harrison-Gay
J. Washington

Those are the guys that immediately come to mind for me, although I think some of them still have potential to produce. I think we can probably cut lose of an OLB or two as well and maybe a DB.

ETA: Had Lawson on the list...

missouridawg
04-25-2013, 06:56 PM
Griffin (medical)
Muniz
Harrison-Gay
J. Washington

Those are the guys that immediately come to mind for me, although I think some of them still have potential to produce. I think we can probably cut lose of an OLB or two as well and maybe a DB.

ETA: Had Lawson on the list...

Jordan Washington hasn't even had time to show what he can do yet.... Is he that bad off right now?

Coach34
04-25-2013, 07:01 PM
Jordan Washington hasn't even had time to show what he can do yet.... Is he that bad off right now?

There has to be a few cuts somewhere- or we will be signing 13-14 guys this Feb....might as well be at a position with lots of young guys

hailmari
04-25-2013, 08:03 PM
I've never seen him play/practice, but he's apparently no head-turner because we hear nothing about him. He was a bit of a head-scratcher signee anyways.

hailmari
04-25-2013, 08:04 PM
Griffin won't be cut. He can/will come back.

Esmerelda Villalobos
04-25-2013, 08:11 PM
how does harrison-gay play as a true frosh, then never see the field again?

Political Hack
04-25-2013, 08:57 PM
I've never heard a negative word about Washington, just wasn't that impressed with him coming out of high school and think he's going to get left behind by the other players we've pulled into the program. I hope he proves me wrong.

missouridawg
04-25-2013, 09:09 PM
I've never seen him play/practice, but he's apparently no head-turner because we hear nothing about him. He was a bit of a head-scratcher signee anyways.

Headscratcher signee? It was us or Ohio State at the time.