PDA

View Full Version : Todd Jordan

Todd4State
12-27-2013, 01:32 PM
The thread below made me think about the sweet flea flicker that he threw to Eric Moulds in the 1993 Egg Bowl. I wish there was video of it out there, but the only way I know to get it would be to get the game from MSU TV and download it to youtube.

Hand off to Micheal Davis who stops, turns and pitches it back to Jordan who then hits a wide open Moulds for six.

Also- on sixpack about 8 years ago, someone sent me a PM asking me if I was Todd Jordan. For the record, I am not if anyone has any doubts.

Goat Holder
12-27-2013, 01:38 PM
Yes, I remember that. My dad's comment "That's about as pretty of a pass as I've seen an MSU QB make in my life".

I may be ridiculed for this, but I don't care. I hear there was a big racial problem on that team in 1993. I was just a kid fan at the time, so I'm just basing it on what I heard in the stands. Something like the black WRs wouldn't catch for Jordan, they wanted Taite. Fred McCrary was one of them. Eric Moulds didn't like Taite because they were fighting over King Jackie's daughter or something. Anyways, that was the bleacher rumors back in those days. I have no idea of the accuracy of it. There was no message board to discuss back then, ha.

It could have just been the combination of a sucky, disappointing season, another super QB bust for MSU, backup QB is always better controversy, and bad fans in general. I have no idea. But it ended with 3-6-2.

BogeyGolfer
12-27-2013, 01:52 PM
For the 91' game v Auburn at home when Jordan started and we beat Auburn. A tornado touched down just prior to the game in Columbus I think... It was the last time we beat AU until 96' I believe..

Bully Dee Williams
12-27-2013, 01:54 PM
I remember there was a big rift between Taite and Moulds over a girl. There was a lot of animosity between them.

I remember sitting in the Georgia Dome for the Peach Bowl against NCST and we were driving and got in the Red Zone. On back-to-back plays, Moulds got wide open in the end zone. Taite threw in to triple coverage on one and the other he kept it for like a two yard gain I believe. Needless to say, we didn't score the TD. My big older brother, an MSU student at the time, turned to me and said,"that's what happens when you put poon before the team." I was about 11 or so at the time and didnt know what the heck he was talking about. Now, I understand.

Todd4State
12-27-2013, 01:59 PM
I have a feeling that Taite was a trouble maker for our team. Aside from the obvious of course. But those issues seemed to leave the team once he left. Taite was one of the more talented QB's we had- and probably talented enough to play in the NFL at least as a back-up. But he just had way too much baggage for anyone to even throw a free agent deal at him.

Bully Dee Williams
12-27-2013, 02:09 PM
I have a feeling that Taite was a trouble maker for our team. Aside from the obvious of course. But those issues seemed to leave the team once he left. Taite was one of the more talented QB's we had- and probably talented enough to play in the NFL at least as a back-up. But he just had way too much baggage for anyone to even throw a free agent deal at him.

It's a shame. When Taite was clicking with Moulds, they were darn good. That Bama game in Starkville where Moulds made ridiculous play after ridiculous play was a classic. They could've done big things.

BrunswickDawg
12-27-2013, 03:16 PM
For the 91' game v Auburn at home when Jordan started and we beat Auburn. A tornado touched down just prior to the game in Columbus I think... It was the last time we beat AU until 96' I believe..
The tornado was later - like '94. My wife was at the W then. We got to campus after the game and it was like a bomb went off.

bulldawg28
12-27-2013, 04:08 PM
Jordon was a bust.

HoopsDawg
12-27-2013, 04:11 PM
Jordon was a bust.

No QB's played well under Jackie. Hell Jackie even held Marino back at Pitt. The Watson Brown/Sleepy Robinson combo was probably the best QB play we had under the Kang.

bulldawg28
12-27-2013, 04:29 PM
No QB's played well under Jackie. Hell Jackie even held Marino back at Pitt. The Watson Brown/Sleepy Robinson combo was probably the best QB play we had under the Kang.

I agree. Jackie seemed to change running philosophies throughout his career.

Todd4State
12-27-2013, 06:13 PM
It's a shame. When Taite was clicking with Moulds, they were darn good. That Bama game in Starkville where Moulds made ridiculous play after ridiculous play was a classic. They could've done big things.

And by ridiculous, he means Moulds jumping up on an Alabama DB's shoulders to catch a TD. And then Taite throwing a ball up for grabs as he is about to be sacked and then Moulds catching it off of his shoelaces and then out running the Bama D for a TD. For anyone who didn't see that game. That game is probably my most favorite MSU loss of all time. That was an epic game.

Todd4State
12-27-2013, 06:15 PM
Jordon was a bust.

Well, he was a very good punter. I think Jordan actually was on the Colts pre-season roster one year. And he had some big games as a QB as well against Florida in the Swamp- a game we lost, and then the aforementioned Egg Bowl. Jordan was highly recruited and no doubt he didn't meet expectations, but I don't know that I could say he was a bust.

bulldawg28
12-27-2013, 06:42 PM
Well, he was a very good punter. I think Jordan actually was on the Colts pre-season roster one year. And he had some big games as a QB as well against Florida in the Swamp- a game we lost, and then the aforementioned Egg Bowl. Jordan was highly recruited and no doubt he didn't meet expectations, but I don't know that I could say he was a bust.

Jordon was an All American out of high school deemed to be the Savior and he struggled to even crack the lineup. He only passed for 2700 yards in his career with 14 TD's and 21 int's. Punting was what landed a chance in the NFL not a job at Qb.

Jacksondevildog
12-27-2013, 07:17 PM
That game was the 1994 game vs Bama in Starkville. We led like 24-14 with 5 minutes to go and Bama scores 2 TD's late to win. Moulds was unreal that day.

Bully Dee Williams
12-27-2013, 07:55 PM
That game was the 1994 game vs Bama in Starkville. We led like 24-14 with 5 minutes to go and Bama scores 2 TD's late to win. Moulds was unreal that day.

One of favorite MSU games win, lose, or tie. Didn't Moulds also score a two point conversion on a reverse/jet sweep play? I remember Fred McCrary being involved, but I don't remember that play exactly. Needless to say, Moulds was on beast mode. I was so sad at the end of that game that I didn't want to leave the stadium. Man, we should have won that one.

Maroonthirteen
12-27-2013, 09:29 PM
Jordon was an All American out of high school deemed to be the Savior and he struggled to even crack the lineup. He only passed for 2700 yards in his career with 14 TD's and 21 int's. Punting was what landed a chance in the NFL not a job at Qb.

You left out a few important facts;

Jordan played on occassion his freshman year under Felker. He was being groomed to be THE QB. Felker is fired after the 90 season. Jackie and Watson Brown come in and install an option offense. Jordan isn't an option QB. So he patiently sits until Watson is gone and a pro style offense is installed his LAST year at State.

Maroonthirteen
12-27-2013, 09:34 PM
1994 Bama game....what a game! As many have said, Moulds played out of his mind. After sitting in the stands and watching that one, I say he was the best athlete ever to play football at State. Maybe others had his combination of speed and vertical, but I haven't seen it displayed during game time.

BogeyGolfer
12-27-2013, 09:36 PM
Jordan beat AU 14-7 and I think a tornado also hit at or near Columbus as well on that night just prior to the game.

Thrill1
12-28-2013, 01:18 AM
Jordan beat AU 14-7 and I think a tornado also hit at or near Columbus as well on that night just prior to the game.

Am I crazy or didn't Plump play Qb most of that game? And Tony James won the game with punt return TD.

As for the prior Auburn games - the '91 game was at Auburn. Kenny Ray Roberts with the 60+ TD scamper for the win. Didn't know we were allowed to beat a team from Alabama before that.

The hurricane came through in '95 - game was at auburn and was supposed to be a Thursday nighter. Slim crowd on the plains two days later for a Tiger romp. But Anthony Derrricks made up for it two years later with the 90 yd pick 6. Huge road win.

bulldawg28
12-28-2013, 07:42 AM
Am I crazy or didn't Plump play Qb most of that game? And Tony James won the game with punt return TD.

As for the prior Auburn games - the '91 game was at Auburn. Kenny Ray Roberts with the 60+ TD scamper for the win. Didn't know we were allowed to beat a team from Alabama before that.

The hurricane came through in '95 - game was at auburn and was supposed to be a Thursday nighter. Slim crowd on the plains two days later for a Tiger romp. But Anthony Derrricks made up for it two years later with the 90 yd pick 6. Huge road win.

True.

Schultzy
12-28-2013, 09:07 AM

Andre Bennett at safety let the wr get behind him for a fitty yd td late in the game or we win that one. Should've won that game against a great bama team.

That's the bama team that demolished Miami in the superdome for the national championship I think.

Pollodawg
12-28-2013, 09:13 AM
Todd Jordan. He wouldn't nothin' but a one term peanut farmer.............Oh, I'm thinking about Jimmy Carter, my bad.

whosyourdawgy
12-28-2013, 09:30 AM
He is the best athlete to ever wear maroon period. Hell, I think he's one of the best pure athletes to play in the entire SEC. He made some of the best catches you'll ever see and could jump higher than anyone I've ever seen. Smoke and Z included. I watched an intramural game when he played on a team with Daryl Wilson(prop 48 year) I believe against the Pikes. I want to say only 4 showed up to play, super D, Moulds, and 2 others. Opening tip, Pikes get the ball, come down, shoot a 3, and Moulds jumps up over rim, grabs the ball , and says we'll give you that 3. Needless to say, they whipped some ass after that. That's my Eric Moulds story

LeakyD
12-28-2013, 11:26 AM
The other two on the intramural team with Moulds and Super D were Marlon Dorsey and Rodney Hudson. Yeah, they were pretty good.

NCDawg
12-28-2013, 12:24 PM

I remember watching Sleepy Robinson run the wishbone against LSU in '91, when we beat them one of our very few times. They couldn't stop it.

NCDawg
12-28-2013, 12:29 PM

Wasn't that the game where Moulds had beaten their DB on the last play of the game and Taite threw the ball down field out of bounds?