PDA

View Full Version : OT: Memphis recommendations for restaurants

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
12-27-2013, 10:57 AM
Only been to Memphis once - what would be a good restaurant or 2 to take the missus to? We'll probably just be doing lunch and supper in Memphis, heading back Wednesday morning.
I'm thinking BBQ for lunch, something nice (but not bank-breaking) for supper.
I've googled a few, just hoping some locals on here can save me the time of looking thru reviews and menus. One site I saw had Central BBQ as a "stone throw away from Liberty Bowl Stadium"
so that may be lunch.

May have already been a thread about this, but I missed it if so.

War Machine Dawg
12-27-2013, 11:13 AM
Central BBQ is a good call. You also can't go wrong with either Corky's or The Commissary. If fried chicken is an option, you've GOT to try Gus's. But only go to the downtown or Mendenhall locations. I haven't personally been yet, but a lot of my friends have raved about Restaurant Iris.

BogeyGolfer
12-27-2013, 11:21 AM
I always hit up Memphis BBQ Company in Southhaven... It is off of I 55 and not that far out... Maybe 15-20 min from LB

codeDawg
12-27-2013, 11:52 AM
Central BBQ is going to be PACKED NYE. I would avoid it like the plague, unless you go to the Summer Ave. location. If I were coming in Tuesday morning, I would stop in Southaven for an early lunch at Memphis BBQ Company, Germantown for the Commissary (out of the way), or closer in, hit One and Only BBQ in East Memphis. Those are all easy to get in and out of. One and Only has as good BBQ ribs as I have ever had in a restaurant.

For dinner, it depends on where you are staying and what your budget is. For something "nice but not budget breaking" let me recommend The Elegant Farmer. It's very close to the Liberty Bowl, but away from everything. It is a nice, quiet environment with upscale southern food. I would make reservations wherever you want to eat though. The combination of NYE and the Liberty Bowl is going to have everything packed.

http://www.theelegantfarmerrestaurant.com/dinner

Happy to help with any other questions or more recommendations.

Goat Holder
12-27-2013, 12:08 PM
Hit up Bryant's on Summer Ave. for breakfast or lunch. Not touristy, very old school. Good MS people. For a sit down dinner I'd go with Butcher Shop, it's always a good bet no matter what.

FlabLoser
12-27-2013, 12:28 PM
I always hit up Memphis BBQ Company in Southhaven... It is off of I 55 and not that far out... Maybe 15-20 min from LB

This is the best BBQ and the best wings I've ever had. EVAR.

DawgInMemphis
12-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Central BBQ is a good call. You also can't go wrong with either Corky's or The Commissary. If fried chicken is an option, you've GOT to try Gus's. But only go to the downtown or Mendenhall locations. I haven't personally been yet, but a lot of my friends have raved about Restaurant Iris.

You've got to make a reservation months in advance for a weekend spot at Restaurant Iris, and it's not cheap. It's the best restaurant in the city though.

For lunch I'd check out one of the Midtown spots, as it's far enough away from the Liberty Bowl that it won't be too crowded but close enough that you don't have a long drive afterward. Soul Fish, Young Avenue Deli, BBQ Shop, Beauty Shop, Sweetgrass, or Alchemy are all good bets.

For dinner there are as many options as you'd want. If you're heading out of town after the game, I'd recommend something on the outskirts of town. Which direction will you be traveling?

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
12-27-2013, 01:40 PM
We live around Meridian, so we'll be going back on 78 I believe it is. Staying in Olive Branch that night, but I imagine we'll hang around Memphis after the game for all the New Year's Eve festivities.

Thanks to everybody for the feedback. Got some good options to choose from. A few of the options look a little out of the way, but may be worth a little extra drive if we have time.

hailmari
12-27-2013, 03:07 PM
The Commissary has the best pulled pork sandwich I've ever had, but it may be out of the way for you.

As far as downtown/Beale are goes, Blues City Cafe has good ribs and catfish. The Flying Fish is a solid, not that pricey fish place, and has a neat atmosphere. Kookie Canuck (sp?) is cool, I guess, but the burger is nothing you can't grill yourself.. unless you order the five pounder. Rendezvous is a great place to see, but the food just isn't as tasty as it used to be. There's oddly not a ton of great BBQ right on/off Beale.

BulldogBear
12-27-2013, 04:13 PM

Yes, folks, best BBQ by a landslide, but it's Horn Lake. Exit is Getwell Road and I mean it is right by the interstate on West side.

You can get bacon added to any orser for $1. If you got a bunch of folks, there are 2 huge platters of different options you can choose. Comes out on a trash can lid!!! One is $45 and the bigger is $75 but if you got several folks you can split it. That way you can all sample several items and will be cheaper than everybody getting an individual and sharing.

War Machine Dawg
12-27-2013, 04:37 PM
Damn, totally forgot Memphis BBQ Co. As everyone else said, STOP HERE!!! It's amazing. Never, ever had anything bad there.

Sam&DeansDawg
12-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Central isn't far from the Stadium at all.
Downtown you have a lot of places like Gus's, Pearls, and The Rendezvous.
Midtown you have Cooper Young area with Alchemy, Young Avenue Deli, and Sweet Grass.
East Memphis(area) you have Brookhaven Pub, The Commissary, Swankys Taco Shop, Old Venice, and tons others.
In bold I have my choice for each area. Enjoy!

msstatelp1
12-27-2013, 10:34 PM
"Exit is Getwell Road"
It's Goodman Road. Exit 289 or 291 off I-55. Replying from my phone so sorry if it doesn't line up correctly.

It is a great place for BBQ.

Percho
12-27-2013, 11:26 PM

This is the best BBQ and the best wings I've ever had. EVAR.

I prefer One and Only BBQ at Oak Court