PDA

View Full Version : Why the SEC Dominate College Football, In Six Charts- Businessweek

Outside Dawg
12-27-2013, 10:06 AM
Some interesting notes about MSU in there too...

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-12-27/why-the-sec-dominates-college-football-in-six-charts

sleepy dawg
12-27-2013, 10:21 AM
I learned that MSU is the 4th heaviest team in the country. Should we hang a banner for a top 5 season?

engie
12-27-2013, 10:27 AM
Wow.

By average weight roster-wide, MSU is the 4th largest team in all of FBS, 3 lbs per player behind Bama for #1 and 1lb per player behind Stanford and Mizzou.

In terms of first and second round NFL picks per capita since 2000, the state of MS is 4th behind South Carolina, Alabama, and Louisiana.

In terms of athletics revenue generated per undergrad student, MSU is 15th nationally and 6th in the conference.

Political Hack
12-27-2013, 10:34 AM
the NFL picks doesn't surprise me but the rest does. MS produces a lot of celebrities, authors, athletes, etc... considering it's size.

15th nationally is pretty damn impressive in per-student revenue. Seems like we would be able to invest that so our students have a better collegiate experience than others.

RougeDawg
12-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Don't let any of those lurkers up north get wind of these stats. They will start lobbying businessweek with hefty donations to pad their stats, like they do with every other media outlet.

This is surprising to know that we are on each of these lists. Looks like we are doing a lot of things correctly, and the reward of the hard work and determination should start paying off soon on the field. Hopefully.

messageboardsuperhero
12-27-2013, 12:52 PM
In terms of athletics revenue generated per undergrad student, MSU is 15th nationally and 6th in the conference.

Which is why I'm pretty optimistic about our future in all major sports.

We are growing at maybe the highest rate in our school's history- both in terms of athletic revenue and student enrollment.

Goat Holder
12-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Another reason that I always say we really should forget about other areas in recruiting like Texas, Georgia and Florida unless we have a tie there. We can field a national caliber team by just wearing out Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama. Numbers 3, 4 and 5 per capita. Sure I know we have about 4 solid Georgia commitments right now, but try and see my point for what it is.

nsvltndog
12-27-2013, 01:41 PM
What it tells me is that outside of needing to increase assistant coaches salaries, we are doing a lot of things right.

Coach34
12-27-2013, 02:02 PM
What it tells me is that outside of needing to increase assistant coaches salaries, we are doing a lot of things right.

bingo

engie
12-27-2013, 02:30 PM
The assistant salaries, compliance, and video dept are the only major complaints that I still harbor about AD right now.

I'm, of course, assuming Stricklin fixes the video board this time -- like he's been promising for 2 years now.

RougeDawg
12-27-2013, 04:23 PM
The assistant salaries, compliance, and video dept are the only major complaints that I still harbor about AD right now.

I'm, of course, assuming Stricklin fixes the video board this time -- like he's been promising for 2 years now.

If the video board isn't fixed in 2014, it never will be and Strick has been behind the shitty use all along. The contract is up with whoever we had it with(Learfield I believe), and the board is ours. Time will tell.