PDA

View Full Version : WMD's Liberty Bowl Preview: Offense

War Machine Dawg
12-26-2013, 07:37 PM
Gents, I'm doing an in depth Liberty Bowl preview at FWTCT (http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2013/12/26/5244294/wmd-liberty-bowl-preview-offense-rice-owls-msu-bulldogs-dawgs). Part 1: Offense is available for your enjoyment. Check it out and let's get some discussion going.

Political Hack
12-26-2013, 08:03 PM
I think you made TE a push just to appear more balanced. We have the advantage at QB, WR, OL, & TE. They have it at RB & FGs.

I really enjoyed your short cap of the return teams "Push. Both teams suck in the return game." hahahaha

HoopsDawg
12-26-2013, 08:06 PM
I'll admit, I don't know much about Rice. I watched them play A&M and I watched them play Marshall. But I will be disappointed if we don't win by double digits.

Bothrops
12-26-2013, 08:25 PM
I'll admit, I don't know much about Rice. I watched them play A&M and I watched them play Marshall. But I will be disappointed if we don't win by double digits.

Me too. I've watched some if their footage. Solid C-USA team with a nice big rb. However, if we play our best game, it will be a slaughter!

War Machine Dawg
12-26-2013, 11:12 PM
I think you made TE a push just to appear more balanced. We have the advantage at QB, WR, OL, & TE. They have it at RB & FGs.

I really enjoyed your short cap of the return teams "Push. Both teams suck in the return game." hahahaha

I wouldn't disagree with that assessment, Hack. But I do think we ask different things out of our TEs. I'm comfortable saying as a group our TEs don't block nearly as well as Rice's TEs. But our TEs are wayyyy more of a factor in the pass game, primarily because we throw the ball more. I'd *probably* give us the edge, but it's probably closer than most would like to admit. Of course, if the improvement of MoJo's blocking continues and Samuels progression continues to be good, it could widen the gap a rather significant amount.

Todd4State
12-27-2013, 03:18 AM
We need to stack the box and make them throw to beat us.

BulldogBear
12-27-2013, 09:33 AM

Yes please

CJDAWG85
12-27-2013, 10:18 AM
When you say "It doesn't get much worse than MSU." in reference to our kicking woes, it does get worse. It gets a lot worse. Have you seen SDST's or NIU's kicker? Particularly NIU's kicker. Dude is a decent kicker, but he got the shanks. Started the year 9-9, and finished 8-20. I'm not defending us by any means, but it just seems when a kicker lets his problems get in his head, it completely screws him up. Almost similar to a golf swing when you get the shanks.

War Machine Dawg
12-27-2013, 10:53 AM

I'd be very, very surprised if that wasn't our game plan. I think this is a strength vs strength game. Their rush offense vs our rush defense. If we can't stop the run, it's going to be a long day in all likelihood.

War Machine Dawg
12-27-2013, 10:55 AM
When you say "It doesn't get much worse than MSU." in reference to our kicking woes, it does get worse. It gets a lot worse. Have you seen SDST's or NIU's kicker? Particularly NIU's kicker. Dude is a decent kicker, but he got the shanks. Started the year 9-9, and finished 8-20. I'm not defending us by any means, but it just seems when a kicker lets his problems get in his head, it completely screws him up. Almost similar to a golf swing when you get the shanks.

How is that different from our kickers combining for 45% on the season?

Kickers are notorious head cases in general. At this point, I'd much rather we just went for it on 4th down inside the 40 rather than attempt another field goal.

Where'sWaldo
12-27-2013, 11:01 AM
I imagine this game will look similar to us against Bama from an offensive perspective. They want to run the ball but I think we can stop it without stacking the box. This will leave their offense in shambles because they struggle passing the ball and we will get to play two high to defend it.

CJDAWG85
12-27-2013, 11:25 AM
Our kickers have been consistently inconsistent all year. IMO it would be a lot worse if Bell started the year 9 for 9 and then went 8 for 20.

Hypnodawg
12-27-2013, 11:50 AM
If bell had started the year 9 for 9, we beat Auburn. I fail to see how that's worse.

CJDAWG85
12-27-2013, 12:16 PM
I'm looking at expectations. The guy in 2011 was 15-19 (79%) and started the year 9-9. Until his collapse this year, he was 85% during that stretch. My point is he was a very dependable kicker and went to what we have dealt with all year.

Dawgtini
12-27-2013, 12:17 PM
This. Much like the Bama and OMU games. If our front four can stop the run, we will have a field day in the secondary...if they get the pass off.

blacklistedbully
12-27-2013, 01:25 PM
MSU SOS - 8
Rice SOS - 104

Hard, if not nearly impossible to make a good analysis, so I applaud your effort, even if I don't put too much stock in it. The level of competition is just so disparate that I don't see how we can give the nod or edge to Rice in any category, really. That's not to say they won't prove to have one, as their low level of competition doesn't preclude them from being effective against better teams. But, at least in my opinion, it should preclude them from receiving an edge in any category pre-game.

Conversely, pretty much any category where we are statistically remotely close should give us a distinct edge, given the competition we played. Imagine our stats and rankings today if instead of:

Auburn
Bama
LSU
SCar
Ok State

we played:

Marshall
UTSA
North Texas
Tulsa
Kansas

Additionally, they lost to the one common opponent TAMU by 21 points, and JFF didn't even play a complete half. TAMU's backup QB tore them a new asshole. Can you imagine our chances versus TAMU with JFF on the bench more than half-the-game and DP playing the whole game?