PDA

View Full Version : Remaining Possible Recuits

bulldogsmsu
12-26-2013, 12:14 PM
I haven't been keeping as close an eye on recruiting this year, but was just wonder who remaining we had a legitiment shot at? Few names I hear or see on scout:

Humphrey
Epps
Shepard
Posey

Anyone care to educate me on what the outlook is?

Statefan
12-26-2013, 12:17 PM
Can't say I have followed it closely, but the only one of those I'd give us a shot of getting is Epps.

I do remember Tee Shepard naming us as his leader and saying that the atmosphere at the MSU-Bama game was the best he had encountered. However I don't think he has said much about us since the Egg Bowl....

MetEdDawg
12-26-2013, 12:23 PM
There's quite a few more:

Cory Thomas
Darrion Hucherson
Taylor Stallworth
Grant Harris
Jervontius Stallings

We have the chance to get every one of these 5 I listed. I noticed that Cory Thomas has only 2 January visits scheduled. One to us and one to Clemson. He had two November visits to UF and FSU but I'm not really sure they are in the picture. I really think we've got a good shot at him. Stallworth also only has 2 visits set up, to us and SC. I think we end up getting him.

Hutcherson is probably a back up signing day guy that we will take if we miss on some and Harris may be as well. Stallings is waiting for an OM offer which I know for a fact he would take if he got it. If not he's ours. We've got 7-9 very viable options from this point and to me Stallings, Thomas, and Stallworth are all severely underrated guys that we would be very good gets for us.

Bully Dee Williams
12-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Shepard went back to Cali and isn't coming back to Mississippi for JUCO in the spring. It seems like we have little to no chance of signing him now.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-26-2013, 12:27 PM
As of today the most likely close would be Thomas, Stallings, Harris/Stallworth, Epps/Hutcherson, & maybe another athlete like JT Gray.

Jacksondevildog
12-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Humphrey is coming to MSU with Leonard Fournette. Package deal.

We may need to make a sticky at the top of the board regarding Marlon Humphrey. He's not coming to State.

hailmari
12-26-2013, 12:44 PM
I know we need lineman (both sides) and I hope we get some good ones, but I'd love to have a 6'7" TE like Hutcherson playing with Dak for a couple years. He's apparently a good blocking TE as well as catching, so I say take him if we can. Everybody has been raving about Epps since the MS/AL game, so he's got my interest, too. And I wouldn't mind us making room for an really good/physical athlete JT Gray, dude would be a no-brainer if we had more available spots. Unfortunately, we're mostly concerned with DL and OL.

ShotgunDawg
12-26-2013, 12:52 PM
Rosebowl said this morning that there is talk of Bo Scarborough visiting.

MetEdDawg
12-26-2013, 12:57 PM
Stallings and Calhoun are going to surprise people. OL is the absolute worst position to project people at and contrary to popular belief, it is possible to sign 5 star OL that will do poorly in your system because they don't do the things necessary to make your offense go.

We evaluate high school OL very well. We've had our fair share of busts especially from JUCO, but the last couple of years we've hit home runs with OL. Gabe is solid, Day is solid, Malone will be solid, Clayborn is solid, Clausell has turned into a draftable OT (my God who ever thought we would say that). We turned Lawrence into a serviceable OT. You are going to miss on some, but just consider that every single OL I just listed was either a 2 or 3 star and the last two years we've had some of the cleanest QBs in the conference and have had a very dominant run game over that time.

Todd4State
12-26-2013, 12:59 PM
Rosebowl said this morning that there is talk of Bo Scarborough visiting.

If we want him as a RB, we'll probably get him.

AROB44
12-26-2013, 12:59 PM
Since everybody is convinced that Humphrey is a lock for Bama, why hasn't he committed? His brother didn't go to Bama. I am still holding out hope that we get him. I just refuse to give up......and I hope Mullen refuses as well.

Todd4State
12-26-2013, 01:01 PM
Since everybody is convinced that Humphrey is a lock for Bama, why hasn't he committed? His brother didn't go to Bama. I am still holding out hope that we get him. I just refuse to give up......and I hope Mullen refuses as well.

My guess is he is trying to decide between Bama and FSU.

Todd4State
12-26-2013, 01:03 PM
As of today the most likely close would be Thomas, Stallings, Harris/Stallworth, Epps/Hutcherson, & maybe another athlete like JT Gray.

I don't think Epps and Hutcherson are either/or. I think we would take both. I think we get Hutcherson and have a good chance at Epps.

engie
12-26-2013, 01:11 PM

Bama people are starting to think Humphrey is FSU-bound...

ShotgunDawg
12-26-2013, 01:12 PM

I agree with this. With the interest he has shown in the past, i do think we could get him as a RB.

But if we do that, we run the risk of pissing off Aeris Williams and West Point. So, is Scarborough, his grade issues, and the fact that he would, according to Nick Saban, possibly playing out of position, worth pissing off Williams and potentially losing a pipeline at West Point?

I may be over reacting, but I think the West Point pipeline is more important than Scarborough, but I don't know all the factors.

This is where OM may have the advantage on us. They can more easily offer the RB position to him.

engie
12-26-2013, 01:13 PM

I'd be all for this. We were his first offer and chased him hard for awhile -- although I haven't heard much since he committed to Bama. Have to think he'd fit perfectly in what we are trying to do from the RB position...

Political Hack
12-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Bo would destroy LBs out of our formations. Can y'all imagine teams having to risk putting one person in the running lanes against him? we pull Malcolm, kick out the end, hand it off on the read, and watch him put Denzel flat on his ass.

sandwolf
12-26-2013, 01:23 PM

Did his brother have an offer from Bama?

Todd4State
12-26-2013, 01:25 PM
I agree with this. With the interest he has shown in the past, i do think we could get him as a RB.

But if we do that, we run the risk of pissing off Aeris Williams and West Point. So, is Scarborough, his grade issues, and the fact that he would, according to Nick Saban, possibly playing out of position, worth pissing off Williams and potentially losing a pipeline at West Point?

I may be over reacting, but I think the West Point pipeline is more important than Scarborough, but I don't know all the factors.

This is where OM may have the advantage on us. They can more easily offer the RB position to him.

It could be delicate- but Aeries seems like a team first type player to me. I'll trust the coaches to handle that. Everyone plays two backs nowadays anyway.

I think we have an advantage on Scarbrough since he likes Dan and made it to the Big Dawg Camp. If he's reaching out to us- that tells me he would rather come to MSU than Ole Miss.

CJDAWG85
12-26-2013, 01:25 PM
Humphrey is coming to MSU with Leonard Fournette. Package deal.

I've heard this too.

Todd4State
12-26-2013, 01:26 PM
I'd be all for this. We were his first offer and chased him hard for awhile -- although I haven't heard much since he committed to Bama. Have to think he'd fit perfectly in what we are trying to do from the RB position...

I love big RB's that just plow people- like JJ Johnson and AD.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-26-2013, 01:26 PM
I don't think we would take both just for the fact we wouldn't want 7 scholarship TE's on the roster.

I don't think Epps and Hutcherson are either/or. I think we would take both. I think we get Hutcherson and have a good chance at Epps.

Todd4State
12-26-2013, 01:49 PM
I don't think we would take both just for the fact we wouldn't want 7 scholarship TE's on the roster.

I didn't realize we had seven guys listed as TE's, but I still think we would take both.

Hunter Brandley- really is a LS.
Brandon Hill- TE; Jr.
Christian Holmes- more of a swing guy who plays LB at least as much as he plays TE.
Malcolm Johnson- TE; Jr.
Artimas Sameul- TE; Fr.
Gus Walley- Very injury prone and I don't believe he has seen any action yet because of his injuries.
Rufus Warren- Blocking TE.

So, really when you look at that position a little more in depth, we have two guys who we use a lot in Hill and Johnson and both will be seniors next year. After that all we have are Samuel and Walley. A JUCO TE would give us some competition and allow us time to develop Samuel and some insurance in case Walley isn't healthy and hopefully Epps.

Political Hack
12-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Samuel will be able to play big and as a receiving threat. I think walley could be good too, but he's got to stay healthy long enough to develop. He's got a lot of athleticism though. I think the future is fine with those two, but given walley's injury history they might have to take someone even if it's just as insurance. And if they take someone, they might as well take someone who will challenge for playing time immediately.

Seven is a lot of TEs though!

MetEdDawg
12-26-2013, 01:55 PM
I think the big thing Hutcherson would provide is a goal line formation mismatch in multiple ways. He can edge block somebody that he would most likely be much larger than, or the other team can attempt to find someone to cover him one on one on goal line play action. We did that a little with Marcus Green because of his size, not just his height. We don't have that size for the red zone right now from the TE perspective because our main TE (Malcolm) is more of a WR. Hutcherson could be that guy.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-26-2013, 02:12 PM
Another kid who has been moved to TE also is BJ Hammond.

Sam&DeansDawg
12-26-2013, 02:25 PM
I think Humphrey is FSU bound and I'm thinking Epps will look good in Maroon and White.

HancockCountyDog
12-26-2013, 02:40 PM
We really need to land Stallworth or Cory Thomas. We need a big time DL in this year's class and so far we are lacking in that department. Stallworth and Thomas would be great additions and jump this class up a significant notch.

To me they are the most important recruits left on our board. We all saw what an impact DL like CJ can make on a recruiting class. Now Stallworth or Thomas aren't at his level (Not many are), but they are solid players. We will graduate Eulls, PJ, Smith next year, and we can't rely on CJ to make every tackle, though I do think he might.

engie
12-26-2013, 02:42 PM

Why would/should it bother Aeris? He's one of 2 backs in the class already -- and if we got Scarborough, I would prefer we still only take only 2 backs -- thus not changing Aeris' situation at all. If I was Aeris, I would be pumped about the possibility of playing in the backfield with a guy that size. Him being good would only make Aeris better and viceversa. Let them decide on the field which one is Christian Ducre and which one is Anthony Dixon...

Bully Dee Williams
12-26-2013, 02:51 PM
How recent is that news saying Bo is thinking about visiting us? I hadn't heard anything on that front in a while.

hailmari
12-26-2013, 02:53 PM
I willing to bet Scarborough would be pretty dang good at the TE/HB/FB position. But I'm suspecting he wants to be the primary ball carrier..

ShotgunDawg
12-26-2013, 03:01 PM
How recent is that news saying Bo is thinking about visiting us? I hadn't heard anything on that front in a while.

Rosebowl said this morning that he may take a visit. That's all that has been said.

ShotgunDawg
12-26-2013, 03:11 PM
Why would/should it bother Aeris? He's one of 2 backs in the class already -- and if we got Scarborough, I would prefer we still only take only 2 backs -- thus not changing Aeris' situation at all. If I was Aeris, I would be pumped about the possibility of playing in the backfield with a guy that size. Him being good would only make Aeris better and viceversa. Let them decide on the field which one is Christian Ducre and which one is Anthony Dixon...

Hopefully, it wouldn't matter. Just pointing out that it is something that should be discussed.

Bully Dee Williams
12-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Rosebowl said this morning that he may take a visit. That's all that has been said.
Appreciate the update! I don't follow Rosie very much. If this is a case of him reaching out to us, then I think that bodes well for us. I know PJ247 said Bo always like our staff. This is also a welcome develop given how people have mentioned Yancy's smiley shades for Bo.

deltadawg99
12-26-2013, 03:29 PM
Scarborough is a guy that could play multiple positions right away for us. Imagine him, Shump and Dak in the same backfield on short yard situations.

You could also use him some at TE/FB, depending on how well he can block and catch.

What do you do roster wise if we sign Scarborough and tell him that he is going to play offense? Drop Milton? Drop Lee or maybe try him at different position? Or just let it play out with a stable consisting of JRob, Shump, Griffin, Milton, Williams, Lee and Scarborough?

One other thing. I could be 100% wrong, but aren't he and Malcolm Johnson real close? I thought I read somewhere that they went to the same high school before Scarborough transferred to the school in Florida.

missouridawg
12-26-2013, 03:38 PM

His brother wasn't talented enough for Bama.

Political Hack
12-26-2013, 04:17 PM
I suspect Griffin is going to be more of a FB and Milton is fumbling too much. I suspect his share of carries will be in mop up duty. I suspect JRob and Shump to lead the way next year and I wouldn't be shocked if JRob has a chance to leave early. We're going to run it early and often next season and I think he's going to have a huge year.

That could leave us with one feature back going into 2015 if you don't count this years recruits. To me, we have to sign 2-3 RBs.

DCdawg
12-26-2013, 04:25 PM
Does anybody else think the coaches should encourage Walley and Warren to transfer out to make room for Epps and Hutcherson? Epps is the receiving threat and we already have a decent blocking TE with Samuel.

Political Hack
12-26-2013, 04:31 PM
I'm against attrition generally unless a player wants to look for OT somewhere else. I think guys should be given an option sometimes, but I dislike it when players are "encouraged" to go elsewhere.

DCdawg
12-26-2013, 05:14 PM
I'm against attrition generally unless a player wants to look for OT somewhere else. I think guys should be given an option sometimes, but I dislike it when players are "encouraged" to go elsewhere.

Yeah I didn't want my post to sound like I want our coaches to start "cutting" players; however, if our coaches don't think a player will ever see playing time at his position, shouldn't he be told the truth? We are building depth at every position so the competition will only increase.

Todd4State
12-26-2013, 06:22 PM
Another kid who has been moved to TE also is BJ Hammond.

I forgot about him.

Todd4State
12-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Scarborough is a guy that could play multiple positions right away for us. Imagine him, Shump and Dak in the same backfield on short yard situations.

You could also use him some at TE/FB, depending on how well he can block and catch.

What do you do roster wise if we sign Scarborough and tell him that he is going to play offense? Drop Milton? Drop Lee or maybe try him at different position? Or just let it play out with a stable consisting of JRob, Shump, Griffin, Milton, Williams, Lee and Scarborough?

One other thing. I could be 100% wrong, but aren't he and Malcolm Johnson real close? I thought I read somewhere that they went to the same high school before Scarborough transferred to the school in Florida.

I like the idea of Scarbrough as an athlete. Remember the guy that played LB and RB for Stanford? That's how I would use him.

Todd4State
12-26-2013, 06:27 PM
Does anybody else think the coaches should encourage Walley and Warren to transfer out to make room for Epps and Hutcherson? Epps is the receiving threat and we already have a decent blocking TE with Samuel.

No. Walley is a good athlete like Hack said. Some people were down on him on some other MSU boards, and I never understood why. At the very least, Walley is a good teammate and he always does everything the coaches ask him to do. The reason he got an offer was because the coaches asked him to bulk up- and he did it. I'd hate to process someone like that out of the program for any reason.

Warren is a blocking TE whereas Samuel is more of an all-around TE to me.

Todd4State
12-26-2013, 06:28 PM
I suspect Griffin is going to be more of a FB and Milton is fumbling too much. I suspect his share of carries will be in mop up duty. I suspect JRob and Shump to lead the way next year and I wouldn't be shocked if JRob has a chance to leave early. We're going to run it early and often next season and I think he's going to have a huge year.

That could leave us with one feature back going into 2015 if you don't count this years recruits. To me, we have to sign 2-3 RBs.

If it were me, I'd look at using Brandon Hill at FB some as well. Depending on what we sign in this class as far as TE's go.

maroonmania
12-26-2013, 07:11 PM
It could be delicate- but Aeries seems like a team first type player to me. I'll trust the coaches to handle that. Everyone plays two backs nowadays anyway.

I think we have an advantage on Scarbrough since he likes Dan and made it to the Big Dawg Camp. If he's reaching out to us- that tells me he would rather come to MSU than Ole Miss.

And what about Dontavian Lee? Are we moving him to a different position? We certainly wouldn't need 3 running backs in this class. Two is enough and we could live with one.

MetEdDawg
12-26-2013, 07:13 PM
I think Lee is going to be an LB. That is what his position was supposed to be in the MS/AL All Star game. He's got the frame, but he will need a little time to bulk it up and add the proper weight. Good thing is that we don't need him immediately. We've got a young group of LBs and we don't need him to come in and play right away.

CallMeRancho
12-26-2013, 10:07 PM
I'm a closet bear who talks negative about all MSU recruits and then tweets it to them.

Bothrops
12-26-2013, 10:55 PM

How? His video is very impressive. Good speed and better balance. He could play rb at a lot of schools.

hailmari
12-26-2013, 11:47 PM
I thought he looked good too. I've seen people compare Aeris Williams to Vick Ballard before, but Lee is the one that reminded me the most of Vick.. Doesn't have eye-popping measurables but does everything well kinda guy.

Dawg61
12-27-2013, 12:16 AM
I like the idea of Scarbrough as an athlete. Remember the guy that played LB and RB for Stanford? That's how I would use him.

Are you referring to Myles Jack the absolute stud freshman LB and HB for UCLA that just won BOTH freshman offensive and defensive player of the year awards? Jack is unbelievable.

CallMeRancho
12-27-2013, 01:51 AM
I'm always wrong because I'm a closet bear

Todd4State
12-27-2013, 03:13 AM
And what about Dontavian Lee? Are we moving him to a different position? We certainly wouldn't need 3 running backs in this class. Two is enough and we could live with one.

Lee is an athlete. I think he will be a FB, but we could move him to LB. Dan will figure it out when he gets here. I'm not too worried about what he did or didn't do in high school.

Todd4State
12-27-2013, 03:13 AM
Are you referring to Myles Jack the absolute stud freshman LB and HB for UCLA that just won BOTH freshman offensive and defensive player of the year awards? Jack is unbelievable.

I'm talking about a different player- but the same idea pretty much.

Covercorner2
12-27-2013, 09:18 AM
I think you're talking about Owen Marecic

FISHDAWG
12-27-2013, 09:27 AM
Seven is a lot of TEs though![/QUOTE]

so we move to two TE's and a fullback ... anyone have a problem with that ?

Political Hack
12-27-2013, 10:37 AM
Seven is a lot of TEs though![/QUOTE]

so we move to two TE's and a fullback ... anyone have a problem with that ?

I'm in favor.

ScottH
12-27-2013, 10:45 AM
No. Walley is a good athlete like Hack said. Some people were down on him on some other MSU boards, and I never understood why. At the very least, Walley is a good teammate and he always does everything the coaches ask him to do. The reason he got an offer was because the coaches asked him to bulk up- and he did it. I'd hate to process someone like that out of the program for any reason.

Gus is a helluva fine young man. However, in the two bowl practices I saw I was not as impressed with his performance as I had hoped I would be. And my level of hope fully took into account his injury and rehab.