12-26-2013, 12:08 PM
This is absurd.

http://maroonandwhitenation.com/2013/12/26/getting-geoff-collins-paid/

Bass Chaser
12-26-2013, 12:22 PM
I don't know what we're waiting on.

MetEdDawg
12-26-2013, 12:25 PM
This is killing our public perception. Until we commit about an extra 750K to 1 million a year on assistant salaries, we will continue to have a lot of turnover with our assistants.

Political Hack
12-26-2013, 12:58 PM
every time I try to read it an ad pops up. when I close it out the screen goes black and I can't view the article anymore. anyone else having this issue? I'd like to read it... always enjoy your work.

engie
12-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Totally stupid...

That said, all raises and extensions should be publicized in the next week. Our coaches actually "sign" them right around the first of the year. I'm going to raise 14 kinds of hell if Collins isn't making $500k+.

RougeDawg
12-26-2013, 01:09 PM
Here's how easy it would be for us to raise another $1mil for coaches salaries. Say we will now have 50k season tickets sold. Increase each season ticket $20($2.56 a game) and you'll get your $1mil quickly and easily.

MetEdDawg
12-26-2013, 01:13 PM
The problem I have right now is that we are doing this backwards. We are adjusting our crappy assistant pay up because Collins is doing really well. Even if we adjust it up, it's still crap compared to the rest of the SEC. We need the confidence from the Athletic Department that if Collins indeed gets a raise to 500K, that salary will be the new standard of pay at MSU for a DC. We don't need to adjust Collins' pay because he's doing well. We need to increase it because the DC position at MSU demands that much pay because of what we expect.

There's a big difference in "Collins is getting a pay increase because he's good" and "Collins will be getting 500K next year because that is what that position demands at MSU". It's all about perception.

Political Hack
12-26-2013, 01:17 PM
Here's how easy it would be for us to raise another $1mil for coaches salaries. Say we will now have 50k season tickets sold. Increase each season ticket $20($2.56 a game) and you'll get your $1mil quickly and easily.

I don't understand it all. the only thing I can begin to somehow stupidly rationalize it is if here refusing to give one guy a decent raise so they decide to not give it to all of them. Would've made sense somewhat if Melvin was still around, but I don't understand how they're holding the salaries back while dumping millions into the stadium expansion, football practice facility, basketball facility, and the dude. paying coaches who deserve it results in immediate results. those other things take time to pay off.

engie
12-26-2013, 01:18 PM
Agree that I'd rather be proactive than reactive. But reactive is still better than totally ignoring and avoiding.

I thought Collins should make $500k before he ever called a game. But he certainly should now. I had a post awhile back about how I would structure everything for our assistants. Collins is the only one I would raise tremendously in base pay -- but give incentives that could get him to $750 and other assistants to $500.

FlabLoser
12-26-2013, 01:27 PM
Totally stupid...

That said, all raises and extensions should be publicized in the next week. Our coaches actually "sign" them right around the first of the year. I'm going to raise 14 kinds of hell if Collins isn't making $500k+.

Don't wait. Be proactive.

Todd4State
12-26-2013, 01:28 PM
I would be OK with raising ticket prices if we had to- BUT I don't see how we don't have the money. 1 million dollars is not that much in today's SEC. And well worth the investment to keep good coaches like Collins around.

Political Hack
12-26-2013, 01:28 PM
I'd make him tell me his plan to improve our two-minute defense and then give him a raise.

The Croom Diaries
12-26-2013, 01:53 PM
I would be OK with raising ticket prices if we had to- BUT I don't see how we don't have the money. 1 million dollars is not that much in today's SEC. And well worth the investment to keep good coaches like Collins around.

Absolutely agree. The problem is not making assistant coaching pay a priority. There are ways to get it done..we just have to do it.

The Croom Diaries
12-26-2013, 01:54 PM
every time I try to read it an ad pops up. when I close it out the screen goes black and I can't view the article anymore. anyone else having this issue? I'd like to read it... always enjoy your work.

That's weird. I assume you've read it now, but if not just go to the front page (maroonandwhitenation.com) and it's the featured article (until 3:00).

Political Hack
12-26-2013, 01:55 PM
what happens at 3?

is it coming?

The Croom Diaries
12-26-2013, 02:54 PM
what happens at 3?

is it coming?

Haha, no I wish I had IT. We just post articles at 7am, 11am, 3pm and sometimes 7pm. The one at 3 is about whether coaches should be allowed to comment on recruiting...nothing great.

RougeDawg
12-26-2013, 03:32 PM

I agree. I was somewhat implying that we as fans could start suggesting that we see the importance of keeping the assistants, and could show the Admin that we're willing to pay more per seat, if they're willing to start keeping the assistants that are worth it. Maybe that will push them to focus more on that aspect of our program, instead of the landscaping surrounding the Football Complex.

PendingTransaction
12-26-2013, 03:33 PM
He's not underpaid....those others a badly overpaid

1bigdawg
12-26-2013, 04:26 PM
I don't understand it all. the only thing I can begin to somehow stupidly rationalize it is if here refusing to give one guy a decent raise so they decide to not give it to all of them. Would've made sense somewhat if Melvin was still around, but I don't understand how they're holding the salaries back while dumping millions into the stadium expansion, football practice facility, basketball facility, and the dude. paying coaches who deserve it results in immediate results. those other things take time to pay off.

Is that the same Melvin who is coaching in the National Championship game? I really like Townsend, but Melvin might not be all bad.

engie
12-26-2013, 04:55 PM
He's not underpaid....those others a badly overpaid

I bet you walked 20 miles uphill both ways to school didn't you?**

Political Hack
12-26-2013, 05:13 PM
Is that the same Melvin who is coaching in the National Championship game? I really like Townsend, but Melvin might not be all bad.

yeah, the same one that didn't return Ty Montgomery's phone call when he wanted to visit. He's a great coach, but he had checked out at State.

MetEdDawg
12-26-2013, 05:34 PM

From what I understand, Melvin won't be at Auburn next year. Have you seen Auburn's CBs and safeties this year? They blow hard. That is by far the worst unit on their team. Melvin is washed up and is not able to adjust to the SEC of today. Townsend blew it out of the water the 2nd half of the year when he was finally able to determine what personnel worked. I would love it if Melvin stayed at Auburn.

We had two of the better CBs in our history last year. Both went in the 2nd round. We gave up over 500 yards passing to Troy and there were multiple times we just got blown away on the outside because of that soft cushion crap we played. A good coach doesn't let that happen. We played better this year with a bunch of sophomores than we did last year with two 2nd round draft picks. Coaching makes a big difference.

Dawg61
12-26-2013, 06:08 PM
This is just another example of how our athletic department is still stuck in 1994 at times. It's beyond embarrassing.

The Croom Diaries
12-26-2013, 07:15 PM

Auburn's pass defense was dead last in the SEC this year. I'll take Townsend over Melvin Smith.

PendingTransaction
12-26-2013, 07:23 PM
From what I understand, Melvin won't be at Auburn next year. Have you seen Auburn's CBs and safeties this year? They blow hard. That is by far the worst unit on their team. Melvin is washed up and is not able to adjust to the SEC of today. Townsend blew it out of the water the 2nd half of the year when he was finally able to determine what personnel worked. I would love it if Melvin stayed at Auburn.

We had two of the better CBs in our history last year. Both went in the 2nd round. We gave up over 500 yards passing to Troy and there were multiple times we just got blown away on the outside because of that soft cushion crap we played. A good coach doesn't let that happen. We played better this year with a bunch of sophomores than we did last year with two 2nd round draft picks. Coaching makes a big difference.

I'll bet you $10,000 to $1,000.00 that Melvin will be at Auburn next year. Did you not see the shit that was the DB's at Auburn last year. Not a single interception all year. And yes they were being coached by a former NFL coach. Plus Melvin does not coach the safeties. Melvin was the most effective recruiter in the last ten years at State. Who has Hervesy signed? He'll many of you thought Townsend would flip Conner. SMH.

Speaking of Townsend, our Db's weren't great by any measure. What made our DB's look better was a much improved DL and Mullen stop trying to call coverages. But you'll thought Townsend would walk in, bling his Super Bowl ring and we would have to turn back 4 stars.

Like it a not, Melvin landed great players at MSU; when our DL was worth a shit, took Freshmen corners and made Mullen and TEEBOO look like shit; he makes more money than our DC and has a good chance to get one of them national championship "rangs" like Mullen has.

maroonmania
12-26-2013, 07:25 PM
The fact that a washed up Melvin Smith makes more at Auburn as a DB coach than Collins does as our DC is disgraceful.

MetEdDawg
12-26-2013, 07:30 PM
Who has Hervesy signed?

Hevesy was the primary recruiter on Chris Jones and is the primary on Aeris Williams. And if you didn't think our DBs were beyond good the last half of the year, then you are a troll with no objectivity. Which I think you are.

There really wasn't any point in responding to your post which was full of fail, but I felt compelled to.

Percho
12-26-2013, 07:42 PM

I use Google Chrome and also at times Firefox and on both I have an extension called AdBlock Plus. Takes care of all pop ups.

Coach34
12-26-2013, 08:34 PM
Hevesy was also the lead recruiter on Dakota Prescott. Using Hevesy as your example was a very poor choice. Our coaches don't recruit by position

PendingTransaction
12-26-2013, 10:37 PM
Yea I'm sure Hervesy is a star recruiter and his winning personality has landed a many big fish.

MetEdDawg
12-26-2013, 11:07 PM
Yea I'm sure Hervesy is a star recruiter and his winning personality has landed a many big fish.

How have you lasted this long posting dumb stuff like this? It's a well known fact he was the primary recruiter for 2 of the best players on our entire team. You can't even get his name right. It would be funny if he sucked, but considering he got Dak, Chris Jones, and Aeris Williams on board as their primary recruiter, and has turned our OL into a very serviceable unit that from the group of guys that played this year will have 3-5 guys that will eventually be drafted, this really doesn't make any sense.

You need to go.