PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else think it would be fun to see some Flexbone formation with....

blacklistedbully
12-24-2013, 01:27 PM
JRob at fullback, Lewis & Perk as slotbacks, and, of course DP at QB? Put Bear & RoJo at WR, maybe Samuel, and mix in others as the game goes on.

I'm not suggesting a change in offense so much as an occasional change-of-pace. Would it really require much prep time to add, given the time we've had to get ready?

Man, I'd love to have Perk, Jrob AND Lewis as options with DP at the same time. I figure our O-linemen are quick enough to do it, too.

Thoughts?

ckDOG
12-24-2013, 01:29 PM
YES

blacklistedbully
12-24-2013, 01:35 PM
And would be really easy to shift into a spread formation as well, with a 4 WR set.

Political Hack
12-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Yes, but it would likely be Griffin at FB with JRob and Perk in the backfield.

blacklistedbully
12-24-2013, 02:06 PM
Yes, but it would likely be Griffin at FB with JRob and Perk in the backfield.

I'd expect to shuffle FB's & SB in & out, but see no reason why JRob couldn't be devastatingly effective from the FB position in a Wingbone formation. He's only a FB in the sense of where he'd line up in the formation, and would still be the main RB for running between the tackles.

I suspect you're confusing the Flexbone with the Wishbone. I'd want Perk & Lewis as slot-backs capable of also morphing into a 3 or 4 WR set. I"m envisioning Griffin and Shump seeing time at FB. For that matter, we could easily mix & match our RB's.

Thick
12-24-2013, 02:20 PM
We would all like to see anything besides a one back set.

thejunction1977
12-24-2013, 02:34 PM
I just want to see more JRob period

blacklistedbully
12-24-2013, 02:41 PM
I have visions of Perk & Lewis as slotbacks, with either going in motion pre-snap to be the pitch-man, the other running a slant or quick curl, and DP doing the read-option with JRob. We have only 2 WR's and no TE's in this formation, but we get JRob, Perk & Lewis on the field at the same time, with Lewis & Perk both fine options as WR.

Defense would have nightmares trying to stop JRob inside while also accounting for Perk or Lewis as a pitchman on the outside, not to mention the threat of DP keeping at any point as usual, including the occasional pass.

Political Hack
12-24-2013, 02:43 PM
I would use Griffin at FB in the wishbone or the flexbone. I've seen a Paul Johnson game before...

JRob is fine between the tackles but he's best when he can run to space and use his vision. I wouldn't limit him to carries between the tackles when Griffin would likely be just as effective as a downhill runner and probably more effective as a blocker.

blacklistedbully
12-24-2013, 02:51 PM
I would use Griffin at FB in the wishbone or the flexbone. I've seen a Paul Johnson game before...

JRob is fine between the tackles but he's best when he can run to space and use his vision. I wouldn't limit him to carries between the tackles when Griffin would likely be just as effective as a downhill runner and probably more effective as a blocker.

I see what you're saying, but feel that Perk & Lewis bring the versatility, speed and moves of a scatback/WR hybrid that would be a natural fit as the slotbacks. Having JRob or Griffin at the FB position would be about the same as we use them now in the read option, only with them lined up behind DP rather than to the side. Hell, we could just go ahead and line them up as usual to the side if we wanted, right? We just lose the TE/extra WR and replace it with the slotbacks more or less. Again, not to replace our main scheme, rather to mix in to show a different look/confuse the defense, and get our best weapons on the field at the same time.

I'd bring Griffin and Shumpert in for JRob to keep them all fresh, assuming Griffin can hang onto the ball.

gravedigger
12-24-2013, 09:36 PM
I like that idea and what better time to experiment if nothing more than a half or so?

Eta: can't leave shumpert out of the equation.

deltadawg99
12-25-2013, 12:28 AM
This year:
FB: Shumpert
RB : Jrob
RB: Perk

Next year
FB: Griffin
RB: Jrob
RB: Shumpert

I remember us running this one time in 2010 vs auburn. It was working great and we were running a no huddle to keep the defense off balance. Relf fumbeled the ball, but we were moving the ball.

I would love to see us use this every once in a while. It would also set up a great play action pass

blacklistedbully
12-25-2013, 02:34 PM

I'd be fine with that, or even rotating them. JRob is certainly versatile enough, as are Griffin & Shump. About the only ones I wouldn't put at the FB postion are Perk & Lewis.

So, I'd still like Jrob at FB, Perk & Lewis at slotbacks, but could also enjoy Shump or Griffin at FB with JRob & Shump rotating at either position, and Perk & Lewis rotating in & out at slotback only.

MSUDawg4Life
12-25-2013, 02:46 PM
What about Holloway?

blacklistedbully
12-25-2013, 03:08 PM
Holloway could rotate in at slotback, but he'd be down the list from the others.

Barking 13
12-25-2013, 07:44 PM
Y'all quit! Your getting me excited...