PDA

View Full Version : Rice Scouting Report

owl40
12-23-2013, 09:57 PM
Look forward to a good Liberty Bowl. Thought you would like a scouting report on Rice from Owl perspective. No smack talk..just some background as I'm sure Rice is not a program that many Miss St. fans know much about. Many Miss St. fans have gone over to Rice boards and have been posting info. I will say that all have been very friendly, informative, and civil. Most schools we play are not as classy (including one SEC school in Texas). It has been a pleasure to learn more about the State program and after this upcoming game, I think you have many Rice folks turned into Miss. St fans.

Overall, I understand that many are probably disappointed to play Rice as the upside of a W is not near the downside of a L. It probably feels equivalent to us playing a Sunbelt team in a bowl game. For us, it obviously helps our program to play a great program like Miss St. and start improving the brand of Rice football on the national stage. We have turned the corner as we are 16-4 in our last 20-games. Lots more talent than Rice teams of years past w/ guys now in NFL and many on this team who will get a shot as well.

Unfortunately, we could not control our schedule and played a lot of bad teams. It affected our rankings but good to see us get 33 votes for top-25 in most recent poll Poll w/ Jimbo Fisher voting us #19 and ahead of a lot of brand teams like Notre Dame, Nebraska, Va Tech, etc. who also received votes. For reference, we also got more than Bowling Green.

Here is how we breakdown by position

Offense
We run spread but want to run first, pass second. Will see a lot of zone read action and speed option. We use a lot of formations and confuse defenses to help open up holes. Owls ranked #16 in FBS in rushing and #7 in time of possession. Marshall found out that stacking the box proved problematic as we were able to execute on a few trick plays that changed complexion of game. Will also take a lot of shots down-the-field as teams load up to stop running game between the tackles. Our OC left for Kansas a couple weeks ago (he is from there and was on Mangino's staff earlier) and our Passing Coordinator/QB coach (Edmonson who coached at Miss. St in late-90's) will be calling the plays and auditioning for the OC job. So I do expect us to throw a bit more than we have shown earlier in season.

QB
Taylor McHargue (McH) is the starter and fifth-year senior. Solid, good kid who understands opposing defenses and calls a good game. He had a few bad games early where his decision making was a bit suspect, however, over past few months, it has improved. Not a 4.4 guy but fast and mobile enough to make plays with feet. Driphius Jackson (DJ) will get snaps and is future at QB. Quick and mobile but still a bit raw. Most Owl fans would like to see him get more involved as he has been hurt the last month or so. Was MVP of Armed Forces Bowl last year. Luke Turner is big kid who is former HS QB and will run the Wild Owl (Wildcat) package and won MVP for C-USA championship game.

RB
Four guys (Ross, Dillard, Turner, and Davis) will likely get touches. Ross is the best of the group and leading rusher w/ over 1000 yards and 15+ TD's. Big (240 lbs) who runs strong and patient but also has 4.5 speed. Unfortunately, the fifth guy in that group, Turner Petersen, got hurt in last regular season game which is loss for Owls as he is big guy who also catches balls out of backfield and is team leader. Davis is shifty true frosh who looks like he will be a good one.

WR
Jordan Taylor is the class of the group. Has four Sportscenter top-10 plays in last two-seasons. Makes plays and will line-up in different spots. Other guys (Parks, Moore) are fast to keep defenses honest. Moore has 4.3 speed but not shown the hands to match the feet. Parks has emerged of late with some nice plays and go-to-guy when Taylor is being double-covered.

TE
A big strength last season as the two primary guys are both now in the NFL (Willson on Seahawks and McDonald on 49ers). Young guy (Celia) and converted RB (Eddington) are there now. Have not done much this year.

OL
Historically a weakness for Rice and finally passing the eye test. Much improved from last year. Have played together and come together as unit. All big (300 lbs average).

Defense
Rice runs 4-2-5 and has graduated from a bad D to now has a D ranked #24 in FBS. Not going to make them out to be anything close to what you have already seen (we recognize the offenses they have been going against) but arguably the biggest improvement for the team. They play hard and are especially good at getting off-the-field on Third Down (16th in country). Only point this out as it seems to be weakness for Miss St ranked around 90th?.so assuming you are not running up/down field on first/second down.this could be important.

DL
Two best DL are lost (Shahin and Moustanef). Covington is all C-USA guy and class of group . A bit undersized. Bauer on DE is a playmaker. Group is thin but has played hard. Would not be surprised to see you try to line-up and run it straight at us.

LB
Average as best, All-CUSA LB (Nwosu) has redshirted after knee surgery. Others have stepped-in (Radcliffe, Elder, Lyons, Kutzler) and play hard but not a 'dominate' area

DB's
The strength of the D. Both CB's will get NFL looks (Callahan and Gaines). Gaines was pre-season player of year in C-USA. They will lock down on outside. The safeties are decent but have been known to get beat deep/over-the-top. Porras is best tackler but in schemes, Rice safeties find themselves in man covering faster receivers and 4.6 cannot cover 4.4?so getting QB pressure will be important.

Special Teams
Punting has been a pleasant surprise this season w/ Farrimond. Coverage teams are much improved but nothing special. Return teams have not shown anything special. The strength of the group is at kicker. Boswell has NCAA record for most FG's greater than 50-yards. Amazing leg. All kickoffs will be touchbacks unless designed otherwise. Will get a shot to kick on Sunday. If you have not seen his Sportscenter on-side kick, YouTube it...lots now trying to do it as well.

Coaching/Intangibles
Bailiff is in year-7. He is a likable guy, gets Rice, graduates almost 100% of his players, and finally is winning. Many Owl fans still criticize in-game adjustments, preparation, and the 'killer' instinct and 'hard' edge that he does not bring but overall things are improving. We don't turn ball over much. When we do, we let crappy teams play us close (UAB) or lose (Houston) and when we don't we have blown people out (Marshall, La Tech, UTEP). This will be the key to the game. We are a completely different team when losing vs. winning turnovers. Have had some stupid penalties this year which is uncharacteristic.

We get criticized for travel but that is not true for bowl games. Last year we sold more tickets for our bowl game than any other team in C-USA. We put over 50K in the Texas Bowl vs. a MAC team a few years ago. We will clearly be in the minority on New Years Eve, but we should have ok turnout. So far, ticket sales are a bit below expectations as getting to Ft. Worth, Houston, and New Orleans (prior three bowl games) is a bit easier/cheaper than Memphis but we will have a vocal minority there. There is plenty of excitement for Rice football and been decades since that has been the case. All at Rice looking to build a program that gets mentioned in same breath as Stanford, Duke, Vandy, and Northwestern as we see those as our 'peer' schools. Look forward to a great game.

Coach34
12-23-2013, 10:03 PM
thanks Owl- appreciate the write-up

Not sure what you know about us, but I'll be short and to the point:

Our QB is the heart and soul of our team and he gets better every week. He is healthy again and will be a force in the bowl game
Our WR's are average but got better during the season
Our back-up RB is better than our starter
Our DL is by far the best you will have played against
We are good at LB too
The Secondary was young to start the season and has gotten better

Good luck dude

starkvegasdawg
12-23-2013, 10:06 PM
Is your fg kicker interested in transferring? We hold our breath on extra points.

CadaverDawg
12-23-2013, 10:08 PM
Hell of a post, Owl. I'm not gonna lie, I've always liked Rice's baseball teams and usually pull for them as long as they aren't playing the Dawgs. I am expecting a pretty competitive game. Hopefully we pull it out, but either way, we appreciate posts like this. Great breakdown.

I'm going to have to say your 50,000 fans at a bowl game is probably not true, but outside of that, a very solid post.

thejunction1977
12-23-2013, 10:08 PM
thanks Owl- appreciate the write-up

Not sure what you know about us, but I'll be short and to the point:

Our QB is the heart and soul of our team and he gets better every week. He is healthy again and will be a force in the bowl game
Our WR's are average but got better during the season
Our back-up RB is better than our starter
Our DL is by far the best you will have played against
We are good at LB too
The Secondary was young to start the season and has gotten better

Good luck dude

I would add that our defense is at its strongest against offenses like Rice's. It sounds like y'all are a lot like Auburn and Ole miss. We handled them pretty well.

Also I second Dak Prescott is a load on offense. Many of the national commenters like Jesse Palmer say that his skill set is every bit as good as Tim Tevow.

Appreciate the write up and good luck (but not too much)

BeastMan
12-23-2013, 10:10 PM
Thanks for sharing owl. I'm assuming you over from The Parliament? Glad to have you

preachermatt83
12-23-2013, 10:15 PM
good info... welcome to the board.

Political Hack
12-23-2013, 10:15 PM
I hope we get a rematch in Omaha. Would be a hell of a game.

I think we'll control the ground game on both sides of the ball to be honest. That's not because I don't respect Rice's run game as much as I think our front seven is by far the most under appreciated in the sec. If you can make plays out of play action, you'll have a great chance to put pressure on us. Outside of that, I just can't see Rice's OL controlling our DL.

Dak will start his Heisman campaign in this game. If he gets banged up or hurt, all bets are off and it's an immediate toss up. With Dak, I think we cruise comfortably.

One thing to note: our six losses were to a neutral site game against Oklahoma State, @Auburn, Bama, LSU, @South Carolina, and @A&M.

Political Hack
12-23-2013, 10:17 PM
oh, and yes, thanks for coming over. invite your friends. would love to talk more. this board has some amazing baseball knowledge on it (I'm not one of them!). It's one of the better college baseball boards out there.

CadaverDawg
12-23-2013, 10:18 PM
oh, and yes, thanks for coming over. invite your friends. would love to talk more. this board has some amazing baseball knowledge on it (I'm not one of them!). It's one of the better college baseball boards out there.

This^

This board is awesome, but it is at it's best come baseball season

SilkyJohnson
12-23-2013, 10:49 PM
You guys need to focus on defending against our special teams. If you don't spend the majority of your practice time trying to figure out how to stop this facet of our game you will regret it and we will make you pay. Do not worry about anything else but our special teams.

I would say good luck, but it would not be sincere. I will say good luck after the 31st.

Political Hack
12-23-2013, 10:53 PM
You guys need to focus on defending against our special teams. If you don't spend the majority of your practice time trying to figure out how to stop this facet of our game you will regret it and we will make you pay. Do not worry about anything else but our special teams.

I would say good luck, but it would not be sincere. I will say good luck after the 31st.

lmao. they should spend about 95% of their time on the FG defense team.

FlabLoser
12-23-2013, 11:45 PM
Thanks, owl.

Our QB is an average passer and a great runner. He is a bulldozer with speed and quickness. Our 1st RB Perkins is a prototypical 3rd down back and most of us wish our 2nd guy, Robinson was our 1st guy. Robinson's nickname is bowling ball, but he's good good speed too.

The OL is pretty good, led by future 1st round draft pick, Gabe Jackson.

Our WRs are young but serviceable. Jameon Lewis is a little speedy guy with a knack for getting open. He is our favorite target.

Our DL is the strength of the team and one of the best in the SEC. The LBs are real good too. The DBs are young and have improved greatly as the season has gone on. Injuries hurt the secondary for the first 2/3 of the season, but we're OK now. Because of youth and injury, the defense struggled this year. But late in the season, the D has come around and played a lot better. We held Alabama and Texas A&M to their lowest outputs.

Our special teams are pathetic. Our place kicker, Devon Bell, got benched late in the season. He was below .500 and even missed some XPs. Our best punter who was a candidate for the Ray Guy award was benched for reasons nobody understands - so that Devon Bell could punt. Bell has dropped some punt snaps in the end zone resulting in bad things for us. Basically, we cringe every time Bell steps on the field - he finds creative ways to make bad things happen.

What to watch for - watch the end of the 1st half. I'm pretty sure we've set a school record for giving up scores in the last minute of the 1st half. Its been a year long problem. About the only thing we've done consistently is let the opponent score at the end of the 1st half, even if it requires some oddball thing like dropping a punt snap in the endzone.

owl40
12-24-2013, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the replies.

A couple points back.

We did put over 50K in Texas Bowl against W. Michigan who brought nobody. That is true. See summary here .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Texas_Bowl

Your front is amazing on both sides of ball. We know that. Big and physical. On O, I do expect to see us stretch horizontally and vertically a bit more to negate all of that space you have between the tackles. I do think your secondary is the weak spot we will try to go after. Would expect to force them to come up to stop run on the perimeter to then open-up passing game on the seams. We have done that a lot this year.

Dak is a big boy. Reminds me a bit of Brett Hundley at UCLA who we faced last year and is 6-3/230. We have faced at least three QB's this year that will be playing on Sundays. Playing good QB's is not anything new for us. I do expect to see us have a bit of 'bend but don't break' on D. We are good at getting off the field on 3rd down. Won't be surprised to see you run over us at times b/c of the physicality at QB and up-front. So big 4-7 yard clips, move the chains drives and then when you stub your toe on penalty, incomplete pass, etc…is where we are better at getting off-the-field on 3rd and long.

We have a lot of respect for your baseball team as well. We are working hard to make our football team as respectable as the baseball team. We are making positive strides but still have a ways to go.

We play better with time to prepare and later in the year. This is a hallmark of Bailiff. It is frustrating to many Owl fans as November success does not translate over to following September.. Historically, we are 4-9 the last three years in August and September but 10-2 over past three years in November and December.

Bowl games are very unpredictable. Playing on different rhythm, more time to prepare, different attitudes about Bowl Game, etc. do create higher probability for different outcomes (good and bad) as one team can blow-out other (like USC and SD St) where they probably don't in regular season and other teams win where they don't in regular season and have an inferior team (Colo. St and ULaLa). This time of year is great b/c you just don' know what you are going to get.

Bottom line is that we are an underdog for a reason. You guys have played an amazing schedule. We have played a cupcake schedule. We have not beat anyone that matters on landscape of college football. Although that is not our fault, it still is the fact(s). We will need to play a near perfect game and win turnover battle to get a W. But I do think we are much better than >90%+ of the country thinks we are and will surprise many to the upside/positive that have not seen us play. Similar to Vandy in SEC w/ decades of futility, that is the key for us to begin changing the brand of Rice football. We are making strides and Liberty Bowl is important for us to continue on that journey to respect and earn a ticket out of C-USA. I think many close to Rice view this opportunity similar to the 1998 Sun Bowl where TCU had its coming-out party against USC and used that W as a springboard for its program more broadly. That is what Rice would like to do against a "SEC Brand" in Liberty Bowl. Let the dreamers dream..

Bothrops
12-24-2013, 01:03 AM
If you aren't familiar with Memphis make sure the doors are locked while in traffic around the stadium.

Political Hack
12-24-2013, 09:16 AM
Owl, your prediction about us getting penalties and y'all taking advantage of it is exactly what I fear. we've played several good defenses this year where we could move the ball, but we'd dig ourselves a hole with a penalty or stupid play and couldn't get out of it. we've had a lot of games with a lot of yards that didn't result in a lot of points. having a crapshoot of a FG kicker doesn't help in that regard either.

If I'm a Rice fan, I'm hoping for a low scoring game. Despite us having a less than great year, whipping ole Miss's ass in the egg bowl gets the fan base and the team pretty jacked up. we've dominated them four of the last five and feel like we've got momentum back now. I don't expect a let down game from either team.

thanks for coming over again. See you in Omaha.

Rick Danko
12-24-2013, 09:27 AM
Our special teams are pathetic. Our place kicker, Devon Bell, got benched late in the season. He was below .500 and even missed some XPs. Our best punter who was a candidate for the Ray Guy award was benched for reasons nobody understands - so that Devon Bell could punt. Bell has dropped some punt snaps in the end zone resulting in bad things for us. Basically, we cringe every time Bell steps on the field - he finds creative ways to make bad things happen.

This shit made me laugh

paco
12-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Owl, your scouting report is very insightful (and well written). I watched your first and last game this year. It appears the Owls are a solid football team that is well coached. MSU special teams are truly pathetic. However, MSU has no other weakness. Like Rice, I use the word "solid" to describe MSU on both sides of the ball. There is quality depth with a lot of youth that gained experience over the season. Keep an eye on these two players: MLB-McKinney (will be top 10 draft pick in 2015) and WR-Wilson (Randy Moss?).
The MSU front four are good and deep. The MSU defense is well coached. There is a lot of youth in the LB's and Secondary whick bodes well fot the coming years.
I look forward to a good game. Merry Christmas to all Owls and Bulldogs!

TrueMaroon
12-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Ive watched college football since I was in diapers, and Ive always had a hard time spotting good interior lineman, but Gabe Jackson(#61) stands out every time he takes the field. He is 340 pounds of mauling bulldozer.

Our MLB is a freak. Bruce Feldman said he was one of the 20 greatest freaks in CFB. He is 6-4 240 with legit 4.4 speed and a 42 inch vertical. But hes not just a weight room warrior-hes a baddie on the field.

Chris Jones, much like our MLB, is much a man. The man, the myth, and the soon-to-be-legend. Hes only a freshman, but he demands double teams. If you try let a guard handle him alone, I feel sorry for your QB.

On the flip side, our Safety play will be suspect due to losing both starters to injuries. Our WRs can be hit or miss. Our #1 WR is solid, but the rest are more possession types. We also struggle to get QB pressure from our DEs.

Thanks for stopping by and for giving us by far the most in depth look at Rice football.

blacklistedbully
12-24-2013, 12:10 PM
lmao. they should spend about 95% of their time on the FG defense team.

If you'd said they should spend about 95% of their time on returning missed field goals it wouldn't be so much of a joke. Good chance they'll get opportunities. #AuburnApprovesOfThisMessage

gravedigger
12-24-2013, 12:41 PM
One of the things about our team you may notice, and I hope you do not: We fail to stick with our bread and butter plays for very long. If we are running the ball well, you can expect us to throw like there was no such thing as a ground game starting the second half.

We tend to win when our defense plays emotionally. If you notice this, past half time you are in trouble. Conversely, if we do not play with emotion on defense, we tend to let teams 'hang around' or let the game get away from us before there is a chance to get back in it. We played LSU's eyes out, but stopped right before half time and the emotion never came back. Late season we learned to overcome this even though we continued to give up late first half points like we were trying to dump Enron stock.

Know this. If you don't score within 2 minutes of the 1st half expiring, you will need to pack up and head back to the tailgate as you would just about be the only team to fail to do so since Labor day.

I'm not one who thinks MSU will have an easy time in this game. I expect to see us have to bounce back from an early Rice score.

owl40
12-24-2013, 10:29 PM
One of the things about our team you may notice, and I hope you do not: We fail to stick with our bread and butter plays for very long. If we are running the ball well, you can expect us to throw like there was no such thing as a ground game starting the second half.

We tend to win when our defense plays emotionally. If you notice this, past half time you are in trouble. Conversely, if we do not play with emotion on defense, we tend to let teams 'hang around' or let the game get away from us before there is a chance to get back in it. We played LSU's eyes out, but stopped right before half time and the emotion never came back. Late season we learned to overcome this even though we continued to give up late first half points like we were trying to dump Enron stock.

Know this. If you don't score within 2 minutes of the 1st half expiring, you will need to pack up and head back to the tailgate as you would just about be the only team to fail to do so since Labor day.

I'm not one who thinks MSU will have an easy time in this game. I expect to see us have to bounce back from an early Rice score.

I believe in 11 of our 13 games, we have scored first and in one we did not, it was b/c our FG was blocked on first possession and the other one was the only game where we did not get ball first (we always take ball if win toss and most other teams defer if they win) Good news and bad news is that we tend to play really well early in the 1Q w/ an aggressive offensive game plan..but then Defenses adjust/settle-in and we don't do a good job adjusting to the adjustments. Been a criticism of the OC all year and so w/ him now gone, it will be interesting w/ our ex-Miss St. coach (Edmonson) calling plays for the first time and auditioning for the OC job how he does on in-game adjustments.