PDA

View Full Version : Nick Saban to the Detroit Lions?

ShotgunDawg
12-23-2013, 01:42 PM
I know, I know, this seems ludicrous, but when you look at it, with Jim Schwartz possibly being fired soon, this could be the best possible opportunity that Saban has ever had.

Here is why:

1. Coached at Michigan State and thus is familiar with the area

2. Matt Stafford, Calvin Johnson, and Reggie Bush, enough said and I don't need to explain this.

3. Suh and Nick Fairly, solid core to build around

4. Non-meddling owner like the Cowboys

So basically all Saban would have to do is move to an area of the country that he is familiar with, build up the o-line a little, fill in some holes on the defense, and get them to play hard.

If Saban doesn't take this job, I don't think he ever sees the NFL again. It literally couldn't be laid on a silver platter any better than what the Lions have now.

Political Hack
12-23-2013, 01:59 PM
no way.

Texas is a better job IMO.

bgover4
12-23-2013, 02:18 PM
Its not like he is going out recruiting, I don't see where being familiar with the area does much for him.

Johnson85
12-23-2013, 02:30 PM
no way.

Texas is a better job IMO.

I think you're right, but Saban is not normal. I don't think Saban will leave for the NFL again. College is perfect for him. He claims he enjoys the process, and as long as he goes through his 'process', he will succeed in the NCAA. That's obviously not true in the NFL, where the wrong personnel decision can sink you.

But I can't say no way just because a normal person (even a normal person out of the hypercompetitive group of people that can make it as Div. I football coaches) would have dialed back the intensity already. It's possible that (a) it bothers him that he was a failure and/or (b) he wants to see if his process can succeed in the NFL (even if it's clearly not guaranteed to).

smootness
12-23-2013, 02:34 PM
Its not like he is going out recruiting, I don't see where being familiar with the area does much for him.

This, and I don't think there's any way Saban tries the NFL again. Not only did he not have success in his first time around, I don't think he liked it, either. He wants to coach at a place where he has full control and if a player doesn't buy in, he can tell them to take a hike.

In the NFL, the players are more important and ultimately have more power than the head coach, in all but a very few places. Throw in guys like Suh and Fairley who aren't the type to buy in to a system and be a good soldier, and you have a recipe that probably isn't going to work under Saban.

He knows that if he stays in college for another 5-6 years and wins another couple of titles, he will be more respected than if he goes to the NFL, even if he has some success there. Unless he wins a Super Bowl, it won't match continuing to dominate the college game. Noboby says, 'Yeah, Bear Bryant was good, but he didn't do it in the NFL!'

ShotgunDawg
12-23-2013, 02:50 PM
all good points. I don't think Saban will go either, but with Detroit's roster, if he doesn't take this job, I don't think he'll ever go to the NFL because a better opportunity wouldn't likely exist.

Detroit is built to win now.

CJDAWG85
12-23-2013, 02:55 PM
Not happening

Sam&DeansDawg
12-23-2013, 07:54 PM
wut?

Coach34
12-23-2013, 08:06 PM
Saban didnt do well in the NFL- and I dont think the NFL sees him as a top target.

Gruden would be a much higher choice in Detroit than Saban

Sam&DeansDawg
12-23-2013, 08:08 PM
Saban didnt do well in the NFL- and I dont think the NFL sees him as a top target.

Gruden would be a much higher choice in Detroit than Saban

Gruden to the Raiders