PDA

View Full Version : BearSharks starting rumors about Channing Ward being ineligible

Coach34
12-23-2013, 01:19 PM
or even dismissed from team

Another 4-star Feb victory

messageboardsuperhero
12-23-2013, 01:27 PM
A 5-star bust in Oxford?!?! Alert the media.***

Seriously, he's done absolutely nothing for them since signing anyway. Just another fine example of UM #WinningThePressConference.

Bully Dee Williams
12-23-2013, 01:30 PM
I'm completely shocked by this development.*****

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
12-23-2013, 01:31 PM
If I remember right, he barely got eligible to get in (and how that happened is probably questionable). Somebody else will probably remember details better than I do. I just remember them hooping and hollering that he had been cleared to sign with them because there were academic eligibility concerns.

I've only seen him on special teams. At least he bulked up the star rating after the 2-win season though.

Schultzy
12-23-2013, 01:38 PM
Aberdeen Public Schools lost accreditation at that time. Guess we might see why now bc d1 football players get a tremendous amount of academic support.

Political Hack
12-23-2013, 02:00 PM
I doubt it's his grades. Powe made it through but they couldn't manage his grades? BS. they even got Brassell in and out for a couple of years but they give up on him after a one game suspension??? Don't be gullible.

There's one reason he's not eligible and it has very little to do with academics.

reddog
12-23-2013, 02:07 PM
then what?

Thick
12-23-2013, 02:11 PM
I agree with PH....total bs. If Ward would have come to State, he would have blossomed due to good development. He's a casualty of OM's short comings, and it's a damn shame that his career has come to this!!

M.Fillmore
12-23-2013, 02:16 PM
I doubt it's his grades. Powe made it through but they couldn't manage his grades? BS. they even got Brassell in and out for a couple of years but they give up on him after a one game suspension??? Don't be gullible.

There's one reason he's not eligible and it has very little to do with academics.

/\/\/\ THIS /\/\/\

If UMiss can get Perfesser Po from illiteracy to college level work in three years then they can handle Channing Ward. Perfesser Strong agrees with me.

coastdoglover
12-23-2013, 02:17 PM
Opens up funds for Hootie and a few new recruits.

archdog
12-23-2013, 02:37 PM
Balancing the accounts payable.

MetEdDawg
12-23-2013, 02:40 PM
Over the last 6 years, these are the big recruits have either dropped out or done nothing at Ole Miss (Just by 4 star rating or higher according to Scout from 2008 to 2012) :

Raymond Cotton
Tig Barksdale
Pat Patterson
Delvin Jones
Vincent Sanders
Carlos Thompson
Carlton Martin
Wayne Dorsey
Damien Jackson
Randall Mackey
Nick Brassell
CJ Johnson
Donte Moncrief
Tobias Singleton
Senquez Golson
Channing Ward

None of these guys are or were anything more than role players except Moncrief. The only one that did anything of note that was a 4 star was Moncrief, and he's at best a 2nd round guy. How do you have THAT many highly rated guys not pan out and still reel them in on a consistent basis? How many of those have NFL potential? How many of those guys are all conference guys? How many losses do those guys have to MSU over that period of time?

We have had our share of duds too, but what disturbs me is the number of DL on that list for OM. There's like 5 or 6 four star or higher duds on that list that will never do anything at the next level. Meanwhile, we've had Pernell McPhee, Fletcher Cox, and Josh Boyd get drafted, and we have Kaleb Eulls, Preston Smith, Denico Autry (his raw athleticism will get him drafted), and Chris Jones as at least 4 more that will be drafted in the next 1-3 years. Why would any DL want to go to Ole Miss? All those MS guys like Johnson, Martin, and Thompson just wasted at Ole Miss.

At some point, it's going to become obvious that you can develop at MSU and get to the next level at a much higher rate than at Ole Miss. We have Gabe Jackson going first two rounds and a few others that can make an impact at the next level like Perkins, Autry, Whitley, Swede, and Skinner. Guess Tyler would have an outside shot at being drafted but I doubt it. But that's still 5 or 6 guys that have draft potential.

We turn almost every single guy at MSU into a better person and player than when they got there. 2 stars don't just become role players. They start and make big impacts like Clausell, Jameon, McKinney, Dillon Day, Slay, and many others. 3 stars like Banks and Gabe are 1st and 2nd round guys. Then 4 stars like Sherrod and Fletcher Cox are 1st round guys. We are stepping our game up and making everyone contribute, and many are contributing beyond what their stars say they will. Ole Miss stars consistently perform at a rate much lower than their stars would indicate. We recruit talent and put them in situations to succeed. Ole Miss recruits stars and prays they work together and will just be good enough to win. It's dumb, and I hope at some point recruits will understand that money only gets you so far when you are a star. You actually have to be developed and we have a great track record of doing that.

Political Hack
12-23-2013, 02:40 PM
wonder if Ms. Peters let's them stay in the house.

bully99
12-23-2013, 02:48 PM
Wow, Meteddawg, you bringing it today. State should hire you in the PR department.

thunderclap
12-23-2013, 02:54 PM
That was my first thought. I wonder if they have to move now?

ShotgunDawg
12-23-2013, 02:57 PM
Good post Met.

I agree that it's blatenly obvious to anyone with a brain.

The only problem is that in 2 years Ole Miss will make a big deal put of developing Kemdechee, Tredwell, Conner, and Tunsil into early NFL Draft guys when, in fact, all 4 of those guys were NFL players the day they stepped on campus, and very little development had to take place for them the leave early. They'll claim credit for it though.

Coach34
12-23-2013, 03:08 PM
Over the last 6 years, these are the big recruits have either dropped out or done nothing at Ole Miss (Just by 4 star rating or higher according to Scout from 2008 to 2012) :

Raymond Cotton
Tig Barksdale
Pat Patterson
Delvin Jones
Vincent Sanders
Carlos Thompson
Carlton Martin
Wayne Dorsey
Damien Jackson
Randall Mackey
Nick Brassell
CJ Johnson
Donte Moncrief
Tobias Singleton
Senquez Golson
Channing Ward

Not alot of production relative to the size of that list. Wow

Saltydog
12-23-2013, 03:13 PM
They took care of Ward and family..........Ward getting cleared to play was suspicious to begin with but to be honest, doesn't surprise me if he's gone or ineligible........I saw him play numerous times in HS and he was lazy as hell so being lazy in the classroom would be par for the course with this kid...........One of the best 5 star special teams players I've seen though (yes that's a sarcastic remark)...........

notsofarawaydawg
12-23-2013, 03:21 PM
Aberdeen Public Schools lost accreditation at that time. Guess we might see why now bc d1 football players get a tremendous amount of academic support.

He's enrolled in the new Jerrel Powe College of Reading and Rithmetic.

Saltydog
12-23-2013, 03:21 PM
nt

cheewgumm
12-23-2013, 03:22 PM
I feel sorry for him... Relegated to special teams all that time .

Political Hack
12-23-2013, 03:24 PM
he could've been great in maroon and white.

Schultzy
12-23-2013, 03:24 PM
This is the kind of attrition that ended the Nutt era and he would've been a third year hand on the ground dl.

They don't have the depth to lose these types and keep up with mid tier SEC football.

MetEdDawg
12-23-2013, 03:25 PM
And that's the whole point here. Relative to what is expected by the highly ranked guys, they are almost guaranteed to under perform at Ole Miss. It's no question that the big 4 Ole Miss got last year were extremely talented. But how much more talented will they become while staying at Ole Miss? I just don't see Conner, Nkemdiche, Tunsil, and Treadwell raising their game much more than what they are at now because the history of Ole Miss and their lack of ability to develop talent leads me to that conclusion.

You can catch lightning in a bottle a few times and have it pay off like it did last year for Ole Miss with their recruiting. But having 5-6 really talented guys that came in already really talented won't cut it. You have to develop your talent and if you look at our 2 deep compared to their two deep, I don't think there is any question that we are the superior talent developers. We put large amounts of weight on guys, much more muscle, change position of guys frequently, and they all get better than where they were before. I dare Ole Miss to try and put 80 pounds on a DL like we did to Cox and turn him into a 1st round draft pick. They can't do it because they don't know how. We do and we continue to do it with our DL and LBs.

Now we have the perfect storm of experience and talent next year and we have to capitalize. We've got an insane amount of talent on next year's team and we can make some major national noise with our performance on the field and the potential to follow that up with a great recruiting class. If you play football in Mississippi, why the hell would you want to go to Ole Miss right now? Outside of money or being an OM fan your whole life, name one single thing related to football or sports that would make a recruit choose them over us. I'll hang up and listen on that one because there isn't anything anyone can think of.

Bully Dee Williams
12-23-2013, 03:31 PM
[\Quote]The only problem is that in 2 years Ole Miss will make a big deal put of developing Kemdechee, Tredwell, Conner, and Tunsil into early NFL Draft guys when, in fact, all 4 of those guys were NFL players the day they stepped on campus, and very little development had to take place for them the leave early. They'll claim credit for it though.[/QUOTE]

Of those 4 players listed, I am not convinced that all 4 have amazing NFL potential. Tunsil, I believe, will end up getting drafted highest. Robert has head problems, as in mental issues. Treadwell is a possession receiver. He is tough, but I don't see top end speed. Conner is a mystery. He is good playing that tweener LB/S in college, but how will that translate at the next level.

I am just not convince the likes of Freeze, Kiffin, Wommack, and Heard can develop those guys that much.

Political Hack
12-23-2013, 03:32 PM
This is the kind of attrition that ended the Nutt era and he would've been a third year hand on the ground dl.

They don't have the depth to lose these types and keep up with mid tier SEC football.

mid-tier in the SEC? they were second to last in the West in front of only a horrid Arkansas team.

engie
12-23-2013, 03:48 PM

That's what it seems like to me -- if true.

RougeDawg
12-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Went over to fannypackspeaks to see what was being said about ward, and not one single post or thread about it. I fully expect that place to evolve into a knitting and quilting web forum before 2016. What a bunch of scared pussies.

MSUMatt
12-23-2013, 04:04 PM
Ward could never get the playbook and that's per a starting defensive tackle for the Rebels.

Political Hack
12-23-2013, 04:05 PM
Ward could never get the playbook and that's per a starting defensive tackle for the Rebels.

so they kicked him off the team?

captain
12-23-2013, 04:08 PM
fannypackspeaks

is this serious?

captain
12-23-2013, 04:09 PM

cuz chris jones stole it duh

Schultzy
12-23-2013, 04:14 PM
mid-tier in the SEC? they were second to last in the West in front of only a horrid Arkansas team.

Good point. I was speaking more to their aspirations than their current standing.

Bubb Rubb
12-23-2013, 04:25 PM
And that's the whole point here. Relative to what is expected by the highly ranked guys, they are almost guaranteed to under perform at Ole Miss. It's no question that the big 4 Ole Miss got last year were extremely talented. But how much more talented will they become while staying at Ole Miss? I just don't see Conner, Nkemdiche, Tunsil, and Treadwell raising their game much more than what they are at now because the history of Ole Miss and their lack of ability to develop talent leads me to that conclusion.

To be fair, I don't think the Freeze regime has been in place long enough to say this with absolute certainty. But I agree that for the most part, their highly-rated recruits don't usually pan out. I don't think it's as simple as their inability develop them, and it usually has more to do with the fact that most of the five stars they take are huge risks, grade-wise, personality-wise, or whatever. Those types of players will rarely pan out.

Of the group they have today, I think Conner will pan out because he's a hard worker. Treadwell will probably be a beast but he's only going to be as good as the QB they have throwing him the ball. Engram is a good one and I'd love to have him on my team. I think Nkemdiche and Tunsil will be busts.

Saltydog
12-23-2013, 04:31 PM
obviously have some knowledge of the situation.....I live in Monroe County, so I'll keep my ear to the ground for any rumblings........

engie
12-23-2013, 04:46 PM
Tunsil a bust? Seriously?

engie
12-23-2013, 04:47 PM
Bottom line is all 3 highly-rated DL players in the class of 2012 have turned out to have huge issues. We've got 2 of them ourselves.

CadaverDawg
12-23-2013, 04:49 PM
Ward is an active member of the Big Head/Tiny Helmet club with Kimdimche as well..so bad news all around for him*

Political Hack
12-23-2013, 04:55 PM
Good point. I was speaking more to their aspirations than their current standing.

lol. understood.

Political Hack
12-23-2013, 04:57 PM
I like DS and think he's a great bulldog... but I got a kick out of fannypackspeaks.

thejunction1977
12-23-2013, 05:15 PM
He would be NFL bound after his junior year if he had signed with us. Waste.

thf24
12-23-2013, 05:15 PM
I think Nkemdiche and Tunsil will be busts.

Tunsil did pretty well for a true freshman OL this year. Yeah, he got abused at times, but you can't expect even a 5-star true freshman tackle to be rock solid. He probably won't reach his potential in college due to their poor player development, but he'll be far from a bust.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Kimdeechee fails to reach his third year, what with his attitude problems and his delusional brother fueling them.

Coach34
12-23-2013, 05:20 PM
I think all 4 of them- Kimchee, Paidwell, Conner, and Tunsil will be 3 year players. Kimchee wont likely have a choice due to his behavior. Conner and Treadwell are ballers, and Tunsil will be pretty good if he can stay healthy

Political Hack
12-23-2013, 05:22 PM
Conner and Treadwell are definetly three year guys IMO. Kimchee will likely make a bad decision and go after a third year.

Tunsil is a wait and see IMO.

engie
12-23-2013, 05:28 PM
Tunsil is by far the best of the 4 IMO. He's one of the best true freshman tackles I've ever seen. Gave up one total sack this year.

Political Hack
12-23-2013, 05:35 PM
Tunsil is by far the best of the 4 IMO. He's one of the best true freshman tackles I've ever seen. Gave up one total sack this year.

he's a beast but it's much harder to project the development and NFL "readiness" of an OT this early in their career than it is a S or a WR. I think he's got the highest ceiling of any of them, but that doesn't necessarily mean he should come out first.

Johnson85
12-23-2013, 05:35 PM
Tunsil is a wait and see IMO.

I feel like any true freshman LT that is serviceable has a decent chance of getting to leave after three years, but especially somebody like Tunsil who seemingly would benefit a lot from another year of college strength and conditionoing training. Sometimes it's deceptive looking at people in pads, but to me, Tunsil could have passed for one of those high school linemen that are basically signed just because they are big, with the hope that a good strength and conditioning program will allow them to develope strength and speed. It just seems like even average effort in the weightroom and in practice over the next few years would likely result in a lot of improvement.

Kimdeechie on the other hand looks fairly well developed. Maybe he could be slimmed up some if he wants to state at DE, but he looks like a guy whose body simply developed early. He's obviously good, but it seems possible he's closer to his ceiling than a lot of high school players are when they get to college. I think the same could be said of Chris Jones physically except he seems more raw.

Political Hack
12-23-2013, 05:39 PM
true 85, but I haven't seen a single a defensive lineman get better under that staff. in fact, I think they've gotten worse as time passed.

Ward, Gross, and CJ peaked early. Hooks looks to be a bust and Kimchee wasn't all he was advertised to be, but time will tell on him.

MSUMatt
12-23-2013, 05:39 PM
so they kicked him off the team?

No just offering insight as to his lack of contribution.

thejunction1977
12-23-2013, 05:43 PM
true 85, but I haven't seen a single a defensive lineman get better under that staff. in fact, I think they've gotten worse as time passed.

Ward, Gross, and CJ peaked early. Hooks looks to be a bust and Kimchee wasn't all he was advertised to be, but time will tell on him.

This is it in a nutshell. Watch the difference between Chris jones and kimchee after their third years.

Homedawg
12-23-2013, 05:49 PM

Agree w this. He is legit. Treadwell will be a great draft. Conner is a great player. #5 is a talented **** up, w no true position. Not a great end not a run stuffing tackle. A solid college player that will get drafted but not a star. And yes agree w coach he will bail after 3 years too.

AlSwearengen
12-23-2013, 05:55 PM
Tunsil seems to have a lot of upside and if you listen to the rebels, their OL completely goes to shit when he isn't in there. That said, I could see Tunsil being one of those players that tries to come out of the game if he has a hang nail, all so he can protect himself for an nfl future. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that others have noticed this as well.

thejunction1977
12-23-2013, 05:57 PM
Tunsil seems to have a lot of upside and if you listen to the rebels, their OL completely goes to shit when he isn't in there. That said, I could see Tunsil being one of those players that tries to come out of the game if he has a hang nail, all so he can protect himself for an nfl future. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that others have noticed this as well.
The problem is he won't be coached up at all. Also, their linemen are fat. Their strength program is bad

Coach34
12-23-2013, 06:09 PM
The problem is he won't be coached up at all. Also, their linemen are fat. Their strength program is bad

meh- we'll see this upcoming year in year 3 of the Bucky Era. They certainly need to be more physical on the OL blocking fronts like Bama, Auburn, State, etc...

BossDawg
12-23-2013, 06:17 PM
they are almost guaranteed to under perform at Ole Miss.

I think this "under performance" is a consequence of their fans literally worshiping the ground these blue-chips walk on. It seems like a huge distraction to me. They already think they're "the man", then they come to UM and get treated like the damn Pope. They see that everything will come easy for them there and they end up just being spoiled rotten.

Coach34
12-23-2013, 06:24 PM
I think this "under performance" is a consequence of their fans literally worshiping the ground these blue-chips walk on. It seems like a huge distraction to me. They already think they're "the man", then they come to UM and get treated like the damn Pope. They see that everything will come easy for them there and they end up just being spoiled rotten.

I think athletes get that everywhere. Their nightlife seems to take more of a toll and claim careers to me. Winning the party and staying focused as a college athlete dont usually go hand in hand. I know of which I speak. I won way more parties than I did battles vs pitchers with runners in scoring position.

RougeDawg
12-23-2013, 06:33 PM
I like DS and think he's a great bulldog... but I got a kick out of fannypackspeaks.

Glad someone caught that. It's very difficult to browse through threads over there anymore.

Oxfordawg
12-23-2013, 06:33 PM
I just can't get on the Paidwell bandwagon till he proves he has the ability to stretch the field bubble screens really don't impress me. If Tunsil can keep his knees healthy he has a chance to be very good. If Connor can keep his nose clean for 3 years he's a millionaire Freeze staff can't even screw that up. Kimdouche was way over hyped never needs to play on the outside he is a DT, but I think he will spend his career pouting about not being on the outside.

messageboardsuperhero
12-23-2013, 06:34 PM
I thought Tunsil was really really good for a true freshman, as were Connor and Treadwell (although his reception numbers were tremendously inflated by the ridiculous amount of bubble screens they ran). Nkemdichie was good, but he had unrealistic hype and an attitude problem.

The problem with the UM offensive line is they aren't physical AT ALL, plus they have to rely on some players who just are not SEC caliber. Justin Bell is terrible, but he had to start because they have no one else.

whosyourdawgy
12-23-2013, 06:35 PM
Hell if true, get him to Starkville, sit out a year, redshirt, and come back and whip the Bears ass in 2 years after he gets some real coaching

Political Hack
12-23-2013, 06:48 PM
Hell if true, get him to Starkville, sit out a year, redshirt, and come back and whip the Bears ass in 2 years after he gets some real coaching

I would not be opposed to this at all. unfortunately for him Juco isn't an option any more.

coastdoglover
12-23-2013, 07:22 PM
PAIDWELL. now that is funny

Bubb Rubb
12-23-2013, 07:48 PM
Tunsil a bust? Seriously?

Maybe bust is harsh. Maybe "won't ever reach potential because he can't stay healthy" is a better way of putting it.

Political Hack
12-23-2013, 07:53 PM
Maybe bust is harsh. Maybe "won't ever reach potential because he can't stay healthy" is a better way of putting it.

I worry about that for him. he's a hell of a player. I think he could be better than Oher after a year or two in the league.

Coach34
12-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Spirit Chuck say the OM rumor their fans started about Ward is false. Glad to hear that his journey through mediocrity continues

Sam&DeansDawg
12-23-2013, 08:02 PM
I thought Tunsil was really really good for a true freshman, as were Connor and Treadwell (although his reception numbers were tremendously inflated by the ridiculous amount of bubble screens they ran). Nkemdichie was good, but he had unrealistic hype and an attitude problem.

The problem with the UM offensive line is they aren't physical AT ALL, plus they have to rely on some players who just are not SEC caliber. Justin Bell is terrible, but he had to start because they have no one else.

This.

Sam&DeansDawg
12-23-2013, 08:03 PM

Put the drink down man

paco
12-23-2013, 08:27 PM
Ward was swayed to um (like several recruits) by the recruiting pitch, "Mullen won't be at MSU when you finish eligibility". Grades were indeed a factor for Channing at the time of his enrollment. I was very disappointed we didn't get Ward. However, after two years of watching him play, Ward is nothing more than an average DE. MSU currently has three DE's better than Ward. Ward would fit in the next catagory on our depth chart along with two other DE's currently on our roster.

I seen it dawg
12-23-2013, 08:31 PM
I think athletes get that everywhere. Their nightlife seems to take more of a toll and claim careers to me. Winning the party and staying focused as a college athlete dont usually go hand in hand. I know of which I speak. I won way more parties than I did battles vs pitchers with runners in scoring position.

We damn sure did.

Political Hack
12-23-2013, 09:13 PM
Ward was swayed to um (like several recruits) by the recruiting pitch, "Mullen won't be at MSU when you finish eligibility".

no he wasn't.

dawg27
12-23-2013, 09:15 PM
u are dead on great post i dont see any of them raising there game i think freeze (bucky) is in over his head fins up lol go dawgs