PDA

View Full Version : UNLV

SilkyJohnson
12-22-2013, 10:19 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't deville smith play for them? How's he doing?

Coach34
12-22-2013, 10:22 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't deville smith play for them? How's he doing?

ESPN stats say:

He has played in 9 of 10 games
He averages 15 mins, 4 ppg, 2 Rebs, 2 assts, shoots 40% from the FT and 23% from 3

TheRef
12-22-2013, 10:24 PM
He is. He has played in 9 games. Averages as follows:
PPG: 4.0
APG: 2.2
SPG: 0.7
MPG: 15.0

hailmari
12-22-2013, 11:01 PM
Dang, I thought he had some pretty good potential at one time.. Same for DJ Gardner. They were fun to watch in high school.

Coach34
12-22-2013, 11:03 PM
Deville just has/had a severe drug problem that caused other issues when he was at State. Hopefully he has conquered some of those problems or at least gotten them under control.

preachermatt83
12-22-2013, 11:37 PM
Deville just has/had a severe drug problem that caused other issues when he was at State. Hopefully he has conquered some of those problems or at least gotten them under control.

I hope so too but Vegas is not the best place to go to conquer an addiction.

Raytoraid83
12-22-2013, 11:37 PM
He's got 14 on 5/6 shooting at the half right now. By far his best game of the year. I guess the chance to play former team has given him a little extra motivation.

JOHNHEVESYMADE
12-23-2013, 12:19 AM
Coming out of high school it was a no brainer to take Deville Smith over Jarvis Summers in Jackson. Now Jarvis has become arguably the best player on Ole Miss' team and in the upper echelon of pg's in the SEC. Funny how things work out. I wish Deville the best his only future is in basketball because his family life is a complete mess.

TheRef
12-23-2013, 12:46 AM
It's official, we are playing UNLV tomorrow at 9:30 CST.

TheRef
12-23-2013, 01:27 AM
UNLV Preview using ONLY Stats and Schedule so far.
The facts: UNLV (7-4) vs. MSU (9-2)
PPG: 74.1 - 70.7
Pts. Allowed: 63.9 - 64.3
RPG: 43.7 - 34.7
APG: 14.4 - 12.2
FG%: 44.4% - 46.0%

UNLV has played a much tougher schedule than we have. They played #2 Arizona at Arizona and lost 63-58. Their other three losses were to UC-Santa Barbera (86-65), Arizona State (86-80), and Illinois (61-59). Their quality wins, however, are certainly lacking as the best team that they have defeated is University of Nebraska - Omaha (9-4) in the Summit League by a score of 73-70. But, with close endings in three of their losses, this is definitely not a team to look over and count as an easy win. Deville Smith doesn't play many minutes so I don't expect him to see the floor much unless they decide to change their tactics for this tournament. Their leading scorer is their center, Roscoe Smith (12.6 PPG, 13.8 RPG). So it seems that they feed the low block very well and so I feel that our post game will be put to the test. If we can shut their down post, our perimeter defense will have to be on point against them as they can also shoot the ball with some consistency, see previous game for reference. In order for us to win, I think we need to win the battle on the glass and not make the mental mistakes we were making in our previous game. They are the #9 rebounding team in the nation which means they live on second chance opportunities. If we can dominate the boards, we win this game in my opinion.

HailState39110
12-23-2013, 07:28 AM
Deville was born should I say from a mom who made his life very difficult while he was developing in utero (I'm trying to be nice) He would hallucinate and such while he was in Sville and have to travel back to Jackson for treatment. His high school coach kept this hush hush during his recruitment

Political Hack
12-23-2013, 08:40 AM
Deville was born should I say from a mom who made his life very difficult while he was developing in utero (I'm trying to be nice) He would hallucinate and such while he was in Sville and have to travel back to Jackson for treatment. His high school coach kept this hush hush during his recruitment

I can't believe he's still playing. he was pretty bad off at times in Starkville. Happy he's still able to play though and hope like hell he gets a chance at a normal life somehow.

whosyourdawgy
12-23-2013, 09:26 AM
I agree. I liked the way he played. He was out of control but you could see that as he got older and wiser he had potential to be a very good pg. glad to see he may have rid himself of his demons.

Coach34
12-23-2013, 10:14 AM
His high school coach kept this hush hush during his recruitment

This is true- and that coach is no other than Wayne Brent- JSU's coach

Smith was one ****-up Stands couldnt be blamed for

RougeDawg
12-23-2013, 11:28 AM
UNLV -8.5. Looks like Vegas thinks this one isn't even close.

I hope we come out and prove them wrong. Winning a game like tonight will be a big boost for SEC play.