PDA

View Full Version : Just back from Memphis

Todd4State
04-24-2013, 04:24 PM
1. I was worried about this game because I knew the guy we were facing had shut down Ole Miss twice and we were pitching Evan Mitchell. I hate to say it, but once we got Evan out of the game, my anxiety level dropped significantly.

2. Hunter Renfroe is a bad mother. Everyone hit the ball well it seemed like- not very many strike outs and a lot of good quality contact. Slowly but surely, we are making progress at the plate it seems like.

3. Mitch Slauter did a good job of coaching first base. Mingione was out recruiting somewhere. I bet Mitch had a blast out there.

4. I sat close behind the MSU dugout. One interesting interaction was between Cohen and Butch after Ross went out for the sixth or seventh inning. Cohen comes up to Butch and goes "We have GOT to get (couldn't tell what Cohen said- others, someone else, Fitts?) into the game.

5. Another interesting moment- we almost pinch hit Nick Flair for Hunter in the ninth, but Sam struck out.

6. Sam Frost's "awesome play per twitter"- Wes's foot was clearly off the bag and the umpire blew it.

7. The ninth inning outburst was a little misleading. Memphis's dumbass coach played the infield in with the bases loaded and no one out despite being down by six. And we made them pay.

8. We ran the bases well. We got a run off of a squeeze- that's a really tough play on a baserunner. And then later in the game, we used Robson to pinch run, and on a sac fly, the OF for Memphis threw the ball to third, and then Robson comes in the back door and takes second. Very nicely done.

SnakePlissken
04-24-2013, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the comments, Todd!!

engie
04-24-2013, 05:38 PM
7. The ninth inning outburst was a little misleading. Memphis's dumbass coach played the infield in with the bases loaded and no one out despite being down by six. And we made them pay.
Shoenrock say "that's baseball." OM made Raffo pay on the same day...

8. We ran the bases well. We got a run off of a squeeze- that's a really tough play on a baserunner. And then later in the game, we used Robson to pinch run, and on a sac fly, the OF for Memphis threw the ball to third, and then Robson comes in the back door and takes second. Very nicely done.
Agreed on all. Nevermind how risky a bases loaded squeeze play can be. Tremendous overall productivity on the basepaths last night I thought...

Todd4State
04-25-2013, 01:32 AM
The Fighting Raffo's are 22-19 right now in year five. He's a solid mid-major coach, but I think he would be in over his head a little bit in the SEC. Especially in recruiting like you said- I just don't think he is aggressive enough of a recruiter to get the talent you need to be a high level team.

Also- I noticed that UAB "that's baseball"ed a loss to Alabama State on Tuesday. It would suck for Brian Shoop if Polk takes that ship down too. I'm not saying that Polk runs things there- but with the way they schedule, I can tell based on that alone that there is a heavy influence.