PDA

View Full Version : What's the story on Deion Calhoun? New OL Commit...

RougeDawg
12-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Looks like a decent sized guy, 6'3" 310. Wondering if he's an under the radar guy that our coaches think they can develop and add some lean muscle to? I usually don't keep up with OL commits and how they pan out, but who is a current player that coaches took in a similar situation? I know Gabe Jackson was a 3 star so I have confidence that our current staff knows what to look for when they are offering players, especially these kids from the smaller schools in rural areas.

I think what some of us forget about recruiting and stars is this. The more big name and larger high school programs, get much more attention from the recruiting site evaluators. This is where they get the most bang for the buck. Therefore, they start noticing underclassmen and start rating them early on in their career. They then have much more time to evaluate and garner attention from more evaluators. A small school may have a DI prospect every year or two, thus not getting a lot of attention from recruiting sites, and thus no high star recruits, each year. Therefore they get noticed between their junior and senior seasons, by coaches and start getting offers. If they only camp at USM and State, and both offer, the recruiting sites don't really think much of it, but they are now on the radar (Chris Jones). This guy only had a USM offer. Recruiting sites make their money off of the big name schools, hence why players rank increases when they get offers from the big name schools. It's all about knowing and feeding your audience. Look at how much emphasis some fans in the state put on recruiting, and spend on the recruiting websites. It all starts to make sense when you start looking at the big picture, and realizing which fan bases have more money than sense.

On the other hand, our coaches get to see these players all on the same playing field during summer camps. They see the 4 star kids who have been being evaluated by sites since their 9th grade year, along side a 2-3 star guy, who recruiting sites barely know anything about. Most times the only difference in the two types of players, is the amount of time each has been evaluated, and the ease of accessibility of each players school. Nothing else. These recruiting guys have to evaluate the most players, in the shortest amount of time, so they will pass up the small school that might have one prospect to go to the Hoover's of high school football, to evaluate 20 prospects.

Anyways, I went on a tangent, but what do ya'll know about Calhoun?