PDA

View Full Version : One thing I like about the college playoff

Todd4State
12-22-2013, 01:36 AM
Is it increases our odds of going to the Sugar Bowl.

We went 9-2 in 1980. We got the Sun Bowl.

We went 9-2 in 1999. We got the Peach Bowl.

Hypothetically speaking, if we went 10-2 in the future with say losses to Alabama and LSU and both of those teams made the Final Four- chances are very good we would go to the Sugar under the new system and play a Big 12 team like Texas or Oklahoma. And yes- it would depend on the teams in the SEC East, which hopefully will all have at least three losses amongst them.

But pretty cool to think about. In the past a dream season for us- as defined by me as 10 wins or greater or a season with a SEC West Title or better- is going to get us further along in the past.

PassInterference
12-22-2013, 09:33 AM
I thought the BCS bowls were going to host playoff rounds.

Todd4State
12-22-2013, 10:17 AM
To my understanding, it's a four team playoff and two of the BCS bowls host the playoff round and then the winners go to play in the championship game. The BCS bowls are the Rose, Sugar, Orange, Cotton, Fiesta, and Chik-Fil-A, but only two of those bowls host the playoff and then they rotate it so that those bowls host a playoff game every three years. The bowls that don't host a playoff game pretty much do what they've always done- just have a bowl game. One caveat is the non-power conferences have to get at least one team in- and that could potentially trip up a SEC team in the future as well.

But my guess is the SEC is probably going to get at least three and possibly four teams in the BCS going forward.

LilSebastian
12-22-2013, 11:54 AM
The BCS won't exist anymore. I know what you mean, but the Sugar Bowl has had a tendency to blow of late and I have to think if that continues it may fade into the background as it isn't being propped up by being a BCS Bowl anymore.

Todd4State
12-22-2013, 12:52 PM
The Sugar Bowl should be good this year with Bama and Oklahoma.

Quaoarsking
12-22-2013, 01:01 PM
I like that the "no more than 2 teams from the same conference in a BCS bowl" rule is no more. The SEC will probably have 4 teams every year in the 6 major bowl games (every year, 2 out of the Sugar, Rose, Cotton, Orange, Fiesta, and Chick-fil-A will be semifinals, and the other 4 will be the best bowl games)

Todd4State
12-22-2013, 01:06 PM
And then there is going to be a trickle down effect from the old BCS bowls down because now the Capital One is going to get the 4-5th place team in the SEC, which means 8-4 could get us to Disney World.

engie
12-22-2013, 01:08 PM
The BCS won't exist anymore. I know what you mean, but the Sugar Bowl has had a tendency to blow of late and I have to think if that continues it may fade into the background as it isn't being propped up by being a BCS Bowl anymore.

Say what? I think you need to carefully read through the new reality -- because the fact is -- the Sugar just became FAR more prominent in the playoff era. Slive basically worked it to be an equal to the Rose Bowl -- as the biggest bowl game(s) period going forward.

The Sugar Bowl by itself will bring in MORE MONEY than the entire BCS system did previously. $40mil to the SEC and $40mil to the Big12.

thedawg
12-22-2013, 01:44 PM
I think the sugar bowl will always be the premier sec team that isn't in the playoffs

engie
12-22-2013, 01:50 PM
I think the sugar bowl will always be the premier sec team that isn't in the playoffs

Sugar always gets the SEC Champion -- or highest-SEC team not in playoff. And the same is true for the Big 12.

It's one of only 3 elite bowls going forward that retains permanent tie-ins. Rose, Sugar, and Orange.