PDA

View Full Version : Gerri Green denied early graduation

NorCalDawg
12-21-2013, 11:21 AM
I can't believe this hasn't been posted here, yet.

They are making him stay to take PE and drivers ed.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20131221/SPORTS05/312210041/Mississippi-slow-produce-early-enrollees

ShotgunDawg
12-21-2013, 11:32 AM
Just Mississippi being Mississippi.

Too many uneducated leaders that lack any big picture perspective.

TheRef
12-21-2013, 11:34 AM
Just Mississippi being Mississippi.

Too many uneducated leaders that lack any big picture perspective.

No...that's Greenville being Greenville. Big difference.

Pollodawg
12-21-2013, 11:38 AM
No...that's Greenville being Greenville. Big difference.

Being in the heart of the Delta, do you think there was an ulterior motive here? Oh, and the one that makes me scratch my head the hardest is P.E. Damn, people. The kid is a football player with offers to major universities all over the SEC. I think he's set in the P.E. Department.........

Oh, and it's drivers 17 ed. Take him out, and let him drive you around for a couple of hours and give the kid the credit. Come on, man...

Bass Chaser
12-21-2013, 11:43 AM
Can this be appealed?

MarketingBully01
12-21-2013, 12:01 PM
So let me get this straight. The kids who wanted to enroll early at Ole Miss and Southern Miss are able to but the guy who wants to enroll early at State (who Ole Miss just happens to still be recruiting heavily) can't. No bias there. Right....

MarketingBully01
12-21-2013, 12:02 PM
No that's the powers that be that are Ole Miss fans keeping the kid back on technicalities. Just a bunch of bull shit. If he wanted to enroll at Ole Miss early I wonder if they would be discussing this...

Tbonewannabe
12-21-2013, 12:10 PM
I can't believe this hasn't been posted here, yet.

They are making him stay to take PE and drivers ed.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20131221/SPORTS05/312210041/Mississippi-slow-produce-early-enrollees

Just seems weird.

Percho
12-21-2013, 12:22 PM
If I were GG I would tell them I guess it is time to lawyer up.

Fred Garvin
12-21-2013, 12:48 PM
Can he just take the GED. And be done with it?

msstate7
12-21-2013, 12:51 PM
Can he just take the GED. And be done with it?

Not sure if GED will meet admission standards straight out of hs.

NorCalDawg
12-21-2013, 01:35 PM
As someone said on another board, it's that districts policy and this probably has to do with funding. Schools get so many $$ of funding for each student enrolled.

engie
12-21-2013, 01:50 PM
If you've got credits -- how can you be denied early admittance to college though?

We haven't even remotely heard the end of this story IMO. If they are holding him back strictly over funding, the shit is about to hit the fan. They better hope their technicalities are ironclad.

Do they disallow kids from dropping out -- because it hurts their funding? Yeah -- I didn't think so. But they will deny a kid the ability to get a head start on his college education?

Bothrops
12-21-2013, 01:52 PM
No that's the powers that be that are Ole Miss fans keeping the kid back on technicalities. Just a bunch of bull shit. If he wanted to enroll at Ole Miss early I wonder if they would be discussing this...

No doubt.

HunterDawg
12-21-2013, 02:03 PM
No doubt.

Our paranoia about the Red and Blue Boogeyman is incredible.

Let's focus on us for a change and what WE need to do and who WE need to recruit. Half the threads on this board are about Ole Miss. Don't you guys ever get sick of that?

MainEventDawg
12-21-2013, 02:12 PM
It's sounds to me like he just waited too late to do it. Talty didn't get detailed information, but I would think that if he had planned to graduate early before the year started he may have been able to. I graduated high school in December of my senior year but couldn't have done so without taking a correspondence course. It would have been impossible to just decide in December that I was ready to graduate. Hell you can't do that in college. While school administration in Mississippi doesn't like doing early graduation (and could be a big part of this), I think this would have been a bigger "story" if it was published in July. I just think it's odd that Talty is the one pushing it and made sure to get our fan base worked up about it.

messageboardsuperhero
12-21-2013, 02:18 PM
If you've got credits -- how can you be denied early admittance to college though?

We haven't even remotely heard the end of this story IMO. If they are holding him back strictly over funding, the shit is about to hit the fan. They better hope their technicalities are ironclad.

Do they disallow kids from dropping out -- because it hurts their funding? Yeah -- I didn't think so. But they will deny a kid the ability to get a head start on his college education?

Our administration needs to be all over this. You can't hold a kid back based on some crackpot technicality that you think might hurt your schools funding a little bit. I don't necessarily mean the school should cheat, but they should be trying to help Green instead of hurting him- it's their job to help their students.

My question would be- what about all the kids who actually drop out of high school? Do you go apeshit about them hurting your numbers?

Pollodawg
12-21-2013, 02:19 PM
But if you push this, do you risk alienating the school and pissing in your coffee there as far as other prospects go?

engie
12-21-2013, 03:17 PM

Let's focus on us for a change and what WE need to do and who WE need to recruit. Half the threads on this board are about Ole Miss. Don't you guys ever get sick of that?

Your complaints about said posting certainly goes a long way toward making this board a better place overall**

Feel free to "focus on what WE need to do and who WE need to recruit" -- instead of spending at least 80% of your posts bitching about other people's posts...

PMDawg
12-21-2013, 03:28 PM

Hammer time.

NorCalDawg
12-21-2013, 05:21 PM

If you drop out you don't get a diploma, either. In Green's case, he wants his diploma and dropping out is not an option. Looks like they're holding that over his head to make him stay. I don't know if it's funding related or not - that was merely speculation and the article didn't state that. Still, I find it difficult to believe that something can't be worked out. PE and drivers ed aren't even core curriculum, are they?

We obviously haven't heard the whole story. Looking at you, Talty! Where's VZ when you need him?

drunkernhelldawg
12-21-2013, 11:50 PM
But if you push this, do you risk alienating the school and pissing in your coffee there as far as other prospects go?

You can't waive graduation requirements. Schools have to treat all students the same on paper. I'll personally be glad when they start doing it off paper as well.