PDA

View Full Version : QB Steven Bench leaving Penn State- didnt we recruit this guy?

Coach34
04-24-2013, 03:51 PM
funny- just one year ago was talking about how Penn State was in his blood

http://pennstate.247sports.com/Article/Quarterback-Steven-Bench-granted-release-from-Penn-State-127995

col. forbin
04-24-2013, 04:20 PM
are we sure that was Penn State in him or did he mean Sandusky?

ckDOG
04-24-2013, 04:57 PM
Collins recruited him.

sandwolf
04-24-2013, 11:50 PM
funny- just one year ago was talking about how Penn State was in his blood

http://pennstate.247sports.com/Article/Quarterback-Steven-Bench-granted-release-from-Penn-State-127995

Yep.....if that dumbass had transferred last year, he wouldnt have had to sit out a year.

BeastMan
04-24-2013, 11:58 PM
Yep.....if that dumbass had transferred last year, he wouldnt have had to sit out a year.

He still won't per 247

sandwolf
04-25-2013, 12:28 AM
He still won't per 247

Oh ok......well maybe I'm the dumbass then.

BeastMan
04-25-2013, 12:41 AM
Oh ok......well maybe I'm the dumbass then.

Naw man. I thought the same but apparently they still can. I don't think that was 100% confirmed but they think he can transfer and be immediately eligible

engie
04-25-2013, 01:24 AM
Paul seems to think we are back in the mix with him...I read an article that he intends to stay enrolled at Penn St thru the end of the semester(early May).

I'd take him right now. Slides right into the hole left by Schuessler... and gives us 3 qbs this year(assuming we redshirt both freshmen...

sandwolf
04-25-2013, 09:28 AM
Naw man. I thought the same but apparently they still can. I don't think that was 100% confirmed but they think he can transfer and be immediately eligible

Weren't the PSU sanctions announced last summer, just prior to the season? Maybe the NCAA gave all of their players a period of 1 year to transfer so that everyone would have a chance to find a new school, or something like that.

batDAWGrilla
04-25-2013, 10:17 AM
Yeah, the NCAA give them last offseason and this offseason to transfer out without it effecting their eligibility.

601Dawg
04-25-2013, 03:52 PM
You guys probably know but we are in the mix for Bench along with South Florida and NC State.

engie
04-25-2013, 04:11 PM
Curious that the June semester at MSU starts on the first day of the MLB draft -- which carries us through the first and supplemental first rounds of the draft...

Pollodawg
04-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Stephen Bench. Call me out of the loop if you want, but can I get some info. on him? Is he someone that we should be after hard?

Coach34
04-25-2013, 04:39 PM
Curious that the June semester at MSU starts on the first day of the MLB draft -- which carries us through the first and supplemental first rounds of the draft...

Sandberg will be in Starkville taking a class and working out while he negotiates I'm sure. And then we wait....

engie
04-25-2013, 05:02 PM
Sandberg will be in Starkville taking a class and working out while he negotiates I'm sure. And then we wait....

Sandberg has repeatedly held that he will decide within 24-72 hours...which IMO signifies that he's got a hard number in his head that he's either going to get and go immediately, or he's going to college. I'm with you though -- from a negotiating standpoint, it only makes sense to go ahead and show up and use that month for leverage. That is, if he really wants to go.

engie
04-25-2013, 05:07 PM
Stephen Bench. Call me out of the loop if you want, but can I get some info. on him? Is he someone that we should be after hard?

Here is Bench.

Yes, I think we should go after him. At bare minimum, he fills the hole left by Schuessler and allows us to be "full go" in practice against backup a couple of young backup QBs instead of walking on eggshells fulltime with Russell and Dak. IMO this could have contributed to how soft our defense was at times last year...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utRbTF9Njy0

msstate7
04-25-2013, 05:20 PM
If he's taking a class at the time of the draft, will that hurt where he's drafted? I know it's good leverage post-draft, but I'd think that would hurt him pre-draft.

Coach34
04-25-2013, 05:27 PM
Sandberg has repeatedly held that he will decide within 24-72 hours....

I'll be shocked if he holds to that- just because he says that now doesnt mean they cant come back at him with alot more money afterwards....until the deadline- we have to worry

Coach34
04-25-2013, 05:40 PM
If he's taking a class at the time of the draft, will that hurt where he's drafted? I know it's good leverage post-draft, but I'd think that would hurt him pre-draft.

no- that is regular protocol with 2 sport athletes

engie
04-25-2013, 06:06 PM
I'll be shocked if he holds to that- just because he says that now doesnt mean they cant come back at him with alot more money afterwards....until the deadline- we have to worry

Maybe -- but it seems the $$ figure from his family is set in stone, whatever that figure may be. If it's first round money like they've repeatedly whispered to MSU(pick #30 to end the true first was worth $1.6mil), he'll know that if he falls past the very early second(pick #60 was worth $857k), there is practically zero chance they will go double slot value to sign him.

If his $$ figure is a mil which is a reasonable, round number, then it would be a concern...