PDA

View Full Version : CWS chances

state66
04-24-2013, 02:05 PM
Im loving the way our season is going and have been to just about every home game but want to ask the board about what they think our chances are of making omaha from what we have seen up to this point and I want to take it even further and ask can we win it this year. I think we have a great team but also know we are lacking in some spots on the lineup. What do you think does state have a shot at run for the title?

Will James
04-24-2013, 02:13 PM
Chances of making it to Omaha 20%

Chances of winning the whole thing 1%

biscuit
04-24-2013, 02:15 PM
Who knows? If we keep improving and get a few breaks, anything is possible

msstate7
04-24-2013, 02:24 PM
Im loving the way our season is going and have been to just about every home game but want to ask the board about what they think our chances are of making omaha from what we have seen up to this point and I want to take it even further and ask can we win it this year. I think we have a great team but also know we are lacking in some spots on the lineup. What do you think does state have a shot at run for the title?

Chances of cws:
If we don't host - 10%
If we just host regional -30%
If we're national seed - 75%

engie
04-24-2013, 02:33 PM

- We can make Omaha with the right draws.

- We aren't good enough to win it this year barring a freak occurrence which really isn't all that rare in college baseball. There is clear separation between UNC, LSU, Vandy and the rest of the pack. If I were going to put it in tiers:

LSU, Vandy, UNC

Cal State Fullerton, Virginia, Oregon St
MSU, Oregon, UCLA, Florida St, NC State, USCe, Arizona St
OM, Florida, Miami, Clemson, Indiana, Georgia Tech

Ronny
04-24-2013, 02:37 PM
..if our regional &/or super regional bracket places us with some super hot team that is catching fire in post season, then chances of advancing to Omaha are slim.

But if we draw some teams that are maintaining an even keel in the post season, MSU will be the team on fire & we'll advance.

Goat Holder
04-24-2013, 02:45 PM
We have a veteran team who's been there before so I think they can get there for sure. I could also see us getting bounced in our own regional. You just can't tell, that's why I judge a season based on regular season accomplishments and postseason seeding (unless of course you win the whole thing). Vanderbilt was easily the best team in the country in 2007 and David Price gives up a bomb to lose their own regional. They were good, just didn't have the experience and gall to get it done. I sort of see the same with us, but this team has been put through the ringer. I think they have the nuts for it.

The Croom Diaries
04-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Three weeks into the season I would have said 50% since we had Will Cox doing well, Woodruff on the way and Evan Mitchell wasn't doing nearly as bad as he has of late. But since we pretty much can't count on any of those three, and starting pitching depth could play a huge roll if we have to go through the loser's bracket of a Regional, I'd say we're at 25% to go to Omaha, maybe up to 30-35% if he host a Regional.

Todd4State
04-24-2013, 03:58 PM
It just all depends on the draw we get. Our pitching depth would only be an issue of we go to the loser's bracket of a regional. A SR is basically like a three game series, and the CWS games are so spread out, we can get by with three starters easily.

Even if we go to the loser's bracket, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we just start Ross Mitchell and basically have a bullpen game.

Plus, if we host and are the one seed, if we play someone like Jackson State- Evan, Woodruff, or Cox are good enough to beat them right now. And yes, I am aware of Woodruff's struggles against Valley. I would save Graveman for the second game, and if he wins we can go with Lindgren for the championship, and if we lose we can use Pollorena and then go with Lindgren. Or vice versa- I'm comfortable with either Lindgren or Pollo in an elimination or win and move on game.

Ghost of Hank Flick
04-25-2013, 08:04 AM
Plus, if we host and are the one seed, if we play someone like Jackson State- Evan, Woodruff, or Cox are good enough to beat them right now. And yes, I am aware of Woodruff's struggles against Valley. I would save Graveman for the second game, and if he wins we can go with Lindgren for the championship, and if we lose we can use Pollorena and then go with Lindgren. Or vice versa- I'm comfortable with either Lindgren or Pollo in an elimination or win and move on game.

Unless Woody makes a good start in the SEC Tourney I sure would be nervous about starting him Game 1 of a regional even against a SWAC school. I'd feel much better sticking with Pollo in that type of Game 1 situation. But then again, if we were in an elimination Game 4 I'd much rather have Pollo than Woody going. It's an interesting point, but I think I play to win and go with Luis.