PDA

View Full Version : I guess some of you have seen on SPS that former BIS professor Kirk Arnette

gravedigger
12-20-2013, 06:45 PM
passed away. He was a good man. I enjoyed growing up down the street from his family and whiffle ball in his front yard. He will be missed.

Martianlander
12-20-2013, 10:25 PM
Kirk was a good man. He was a fraternity brother of mine. A little older than I was but he never gave the younger guys a hard time. Hadn't seen him in quite a while but I hope his family pulls through well.

Political Hack
12-20-2013, 10:27 PM
I've spoken to two people over the last two days who thought very highly him and were saddened by his passing. He apparently touched a lot of lives. I believe his wife is from the Bryan family as well. Bulldog family to the core.

slickdawg
12-20-2013, 10:46 PM
I'm very saddened to hear this news. Kirk Patrick Arnett was a great man. I have a bachelors and masters in MIS, and Kirk was my advisor the whole time. A great teacher, a fun guy, a wonderful person. In 1992 he had a former student (daughter of Dr. Tramel , math) who worked for IBM come in and tell us "real world" stories and experiences. I thought then I should return the favor one day, so in 2008 I called up Kirk and drove to Starkville to talk to his classes for a day, sharing my "real world" experiences. We went to the Alabama basketball game that night, and he told me he was retiring. I was happy for him, Bulldog through and through, attended, taught at and retired at MSU. I thought he'd have a long happy retired life and hoped to catch up with him again at a game. Well, I guess he'll have the best seat in the house from now on.

I have lots of KPA stories. Kirk was the NCAA faculty rep for Mississippi State for a number of years. There were many times he'd add a bonus question to a test, based off of something to do with collegiate athletics that he had dropped on us in class at some point. For example, what do you have to do to be a member of Division IA? Football or basketball, and 8 other men's sports (I think that was the 1992 answer).

My favorite memory was a graduate database class in 92. It was on Thursday night, 6:30-7:45 , of course ESPN decided to schedule the Florida game for that night, with the Visor and Shane Matthews coming to town. I talked with Kirk in his office about cancelling or moving class so we could go to the game. He said if I could convince the entire class - 100% - to move class, he'd do it. There were several foreign students in that class, they didn't know jack about SEC football. So I told them to use this opportunity to learn about it. If nothing else, they might be on TV. That sold it, 100% agreed to move the class.

KPA - I admired you, I respected you, and I appreciated you. You will be missed.

MaroonMike
12-21-2013, 12:17 PM
He was a real good guy - a class act. Slick, I was also in his class in 1992 and remember the "real world" meetings. I ran into KPA around '98 when I had started my business and considered returning the favor as well. Unfortunately, the schedule never worked out.

Perfect example of how one person can have such a positive impact on so many.