PDA

View Full Version : What top offensive players at State have been out of state guys?

Coach34
04-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Think about the top 5 guys or so at each position in school history, and where they are from? If they went to juco in Mississippi- then that eliminates them being out of state.

QB? Russell, Sleepy, Madkin, Fant, Don Smith, John Bond, Derrick Taite....Madkin was from Alabama, Bond from Georgia
RB? Ballard, Dixon, Norwood, JJ Johnson, Dicenzo, Walter Packer, Micheal Davis- all Mississippi guys
TE? Donald Lee, Reggie Kelly, Kendall Watkins (cant remember where Watkins was from)
WR? Moulds, David Smith, Bumphis, Justin Jenkins, Mardye McDole, Grindle (cant remember where Smith and McDole were from)

Homedawg
04-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Think about the top 5 guys or so at each position in school history, and where they are from? If they went to juco in Mississippi- then that eliminates them being out of state.

QB? Russell, Sleepy, Madkin, Fant, Don Smith, John Bond, Derrick Taite....Madkin was from Alabama, Bond from Georgia
RB? Ballard, Dixon, Norwood, JJ Johnson, Dicenzo, Walter Packer, Micheal Davis- all Mississippi guys
TE? Donald Lee, Reggie Kelly, Kendall Watkins (cant remember where Watkins was from)
WR? Moulds, David Smith, Bumphis, Justin Jenkins, Mardye McDole, Grindle (cant remember where Smith and McDole were from)

Wasn't McDole from mobile area? Either way. The list is very minimal for sure.

FlabLoser
04-24-2013, 01:44 PM
We got Olanda Truitt to transfer from Pittsburgh. Not sure where he was from.

We had some badass DL from Syracuse. Who was that...one of Sherrill's guys.

HereComesTheSpiral
04-24-2013, 01:57 PM
JJ Johnson was from Mobile, but he may have gone to JUCO in MS.

gravedigger
04-24-2013, 02:33 PM
Just to take that a step further, look at the schools, similar to msu and the mix of OUT of state signees they have. My belief is that this is not the ingredient to their success but the benefit from recent national prominence. A bigger lot to pick from if you will.

OSU
KSU
WVU
S. Carolina
Arkansas
Miami
Clemson

These teams have had continuous national exposure in the last 10 years in one way or another. They sign better than 50% out of state and sometimes over 90%

I want to keep kids at home too, but I want to only cherry pick what we absolutely need.

Coach34
04-24-2013, 03:09 PM
JJ Johnson was from Mobile, but he may have gone to JUCO in MS.

JJ played at East Miss CC

Goat Holder
04-24-2013, 03:14 PM
OSU
KSU
WVU
S. Carolina
Arkansas
Miami
Clemson

These schools pretty much get their talent from Texas, Georgia and Florida. With OSU (assuming you meant Ohio), Miami, South Carolina and Clemson....their states' produce a bunch of talent itself.

I think MSU's out of state pursuits should come from Louisiana, west Tennessee, and all of Alabama/FL panhandle. Secondary markets should be Houston, Atlanta and South Florida in that order.

HereComesTheSpiral
04-24-2013, 03:17 PM
JJ played at East Miss CC

I knew he was in the Navy, didn't know he went to EMCC.

Goat Holder
04-24-2013, 03:23 PM
Think you're going to have to look JUCO to find these. Maybe Lamont Woodberry, Shaston Coleman? Where was Kelvin Love from? Unfortunately we may be looking at Madkin or Wyatt for this. Nick Turner did actually make few things happen here and there. Might think this is funny, but Arnil Stallworth may be one of the better ones. And what the f**k were we thinking with Adron Chambers? We couldn't find any way to use him, in any sport, back in the day??

This sort of proves two things: MSU has generally been built on MS talent, and our offensive woes suggest we better be recruiting offense from out of state.

Honestly, I may have to go Chris Relf.

Todd4State
04-24-2013, 03:49 PM
Historically, our better teams have had a majority of starters from Mississippi- 1980, 1998, 1999, 2009.

Coach34
04-24-2013, 03:54 PM
definitely shows how we need to recruit more offensive talent from out of state