PDA

View Full Version : Tyle Bratton becoming MSU softball coach

bully99
12-20-2013, 12:10 PM
Been director of baseball operations for 5 years. Didn't see that one coming. Any thing going on behind the scenes? That's a strange one.

mparkerfd20
12-20-2013, 12:21 PM
Been director of baseball operations for 5 years. Didn't see that one coming. Any thing going on behind the scenes? That's a strange one.

It's an assistant position. Vann Stuedeman is still the coach. Nothing all that strange about that.

bully99
12-20-2013, 12:26 PM
A Guy who's never coached softball or to my knowledge never been involved in the sport leaves baseball to go to softball. Yes that is strange,

bully99
12-20-2013, 12:28 PM
I'm nominating Will James as new baseball operations director. The stat man cometh.

notsofarawaydawg
12-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Tripp MacKay, assistant at Oklahoma the 2013 national champs (former Columbus resident and Florida/Oklahoma State infielder), was never associated with softball. He's their hitting coach and a damn good one too.

smootness
12-20-2013, 12:35 PM
There are obviously differences in the way the game is played, but a lot of things are going to be the same. You're swinging down on the ball more in softball, but hitting mechanics should mostly be the same. You're still fielding/throwing the same way.

bully99
12-20-2013, 12:38 PM
I not saying Bratton won't do a good job but leaving a top baseball program to become an assistant women's softball coach is a head scratcher. You have to wonder if there's something going on behind the scenes we don't know about.

smootness
12-20-2013, 12:43 PM
What does 'director of baseball operations' entail, and what are the respective salaries? It could just be a move up; maybe he wants to get into coaching and realizes softball is an easier sport for him to get into it.

MafiaDawg
12-20-2013, 02:04 PM
Unless the guy really loves Starkville, one would figure that with Cohen's connections he could help him land an assistant gig at a small school ex. (NW state, MS juco, etc)

bully99
12-20-2013, 02:12 PM
Bratton is from West Point so I'm sure he likes the area.

Todd4State
12-20-2013, 02:19 PM
I'm not sure why he made this move other than he wanted to coach and be in Starkville. His job with the baseball team was to coordinate scheduling, making sure the team was booked on the road, etc. It was more of an administrative job than anything. He may have also gotten a raise to be a softball coach as well. I'm sure he has his reasons. He was the only holdover from Polk's staff.

bully99
12-20-2013, 02:28 PM
He just had his first kid couple weeks ago, so you think he would want to stay close to home in a stable desk type job. Now he's going to be going all over the country recruiting and away games. Softball recruits from coast to coast. Gotta be a story behind it.