PDA

View Full Version : Columbus High football coach resigns

notsofarawaydawg
12-20-2013, 12:07 PM
COLUMBUS, Miss. (WCBI) ? A 4-year run with the Falcons has come to an end for one legendary head football coach.

Tony Stanford confirmed with WCBI on Wednesday evening that he is no longer the head football coach at Columbus High School. Stanford says he was asked to step down by the school administration and he complied with the request.

Stanford was (22-23) in his four seasons as head coach of the Falcons. He helped lead Columbus to their first playoff birth during the 2012 season in seven years at the school. He became head coach in 2010 after a 2-year stint as defensive coordinator under then head coach Bubba Davis.

Stanford told WCBI that he is beginning the early stages of finding a new coaching job and reiterated that he still wants to be a head football coach somewhere in Mississippi.

The Winona High alumnus has spent 38 years coaching football in the state of Mississippi. His most memorable coaching stop was at Louisville where he helped guide the Wildcats to the 1995 Class 4A State Championship.

Goat Holder
12-20-2013, 12:13 PM
I never thought Stanford was any good. I always thought he underachieved at Louisville. He has to be getting up there in age by now, too. Still wear those big goofy black glasses?

notsofarawaydawg
12-20-2013, 12:24 PM
I really don't think the administration of the Columbus City Schools wants a winning football team. This is the photo that was with the article I posted above.

http://www.wcbi.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/STANFORD.jpg

starkvegasdawg
12-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Mullen to CHS.***

bully99
12-20-2013, 12:40 PM
Northwest Rankin High School ousted their football coach too.

Maroonthirteen
12-20-2013, 02:16 PM
Ive been gone from Columbus for a minute......so someone correct me if I am wrong......but yes, back in the day....Columbus HS never tried really hard at football. Half the kids in the school didn't want to play, all the coaches were washed up from somewhere else. It was always a baseball town first and foremost.

Oh and Buck Fama!

dickiedawg
12-20-2013, 07:47 PM
COLUMBUS, Miss. (WCBI) ? A 4-year run with the Falcons has come to an end for one legendary head football coach.
His most memorable coaching stop was at Louisville where he helped guide the Wildcats to the 1995 Class 4A State Championship.

Seriously? One state title makes you a legend? How bout we just say "old"?

Percho
12-20-2013, 11:37 PM
was billy brewer from Columbus?

Maroonthirteen
12-21-2013, 06:21 AM
Yes, Brewer coached Columbus Lee High Generals back before color TV.

Pollodawg
12-21-2013, 10:42 AM
There is a little town in Clarke County, MS that would take you. Enterprise football has basically sucked since 2008. Come on down, man.

notsofarawaydawg
12-21-2013, 10:45 AM
There is a little town in Clarke County, MS that would take you. Enterprise football has basically sucked since 2008. Come on down, man.

Boooooooooooooooooooo ... Panthers rule !!! LOL !!!

Pollodawg
12-21-2013, 10:46 AM
Boooooooooooooooooooo ... Panthers rule !!! LOL !!!

Hey! Hey! I know we suck. You don't have to rub it in, man. :p

notsofarawaydawg
12-21-2013, 08:10 PM
Hey! Hey! I know we suck. You don't have to rub it in, man. :p

The rivalry between those two schools back in my day (the 70s) was unbelievable. Planes dropping leaflets over one school's campus, the regular defacing of school property and egg fights are just a few of the events that highlighted that week of football. It was fun and everything stayed fairly civil as all the kids knew each other. I get the Tribune so I still keep up with Clarke County .. will be back there (SE of Quitman) Tuesday for some relaxation on the farm.

Pollodawg
12-21-2013, 11:51 PM
The rivalry between those two schools back in my day (the 70s) was unbelievable. Planes dropping leaflets over one school's campus, the regular defacing of school property and egg fights are just a few of the events that highlighted that week of football. It was fun and everything stayed fairly civil as all the kids knew each other. I get the Tribune so I still keep up with Clarke County .. will be back there (SE of Quitman) Tuesday for some relaxation on the farm.

Awesome. I was too young to remember any of that, but I have heard the leaflet story several times. lol The Enterprise/Quitman rivalry was the Egg Bowl of Clarke County. But, y'all would stomp us into the ground these days. lol

Dog316
12-22-2013, 05:15 PM
I never thought Stanford was any good. I always thought he underachieved at Louisville. He has to be getting up there in age by now, too. Still wear those big goofy black glasses?

-------------------------
Thank you for your kind and thoughtful words.