PDA

View Full Version : Protective head gear for MLB pitchers coming in 2014

Todd4State
12-19-2013, 06:46 PM
I don't know what it looks like, but the article I read said "silly". It will be optional.

messageboardsuperhero
12-19-2013, 07:36 PM
Interesting. I hope it looks okay, because pitchers probably need some head protection. I know it's something MLB has been looking into for awhile.

bully99
12-19-2013, 07:38 PM
About as silly as first and third base coaches wearing helmets. More feel good than anything.

Will James
12-19-2013, 07:42 PM
In ten years this will be mandatory at the high school levels. Very communistic movements in sports. America used to not fear anything now we can't even ride bikes without helmets legally.

messageboardsuperhero
12-19-2013, 07:48 PM
In ten years this will be mandatory at the high school levels. Very communistic movements in sports. America used to not fear anything now we can't even ride bikes without helmets legally.

I don't know if it's a "fear" thing as much as it is common sense- if you have the ability to protect someones head (in a practical manner) from a baseball coming at him at 110 MPH, why wouldn't you?

starkvegasdawg
12-19-2013, 08:03 PM
I've wondered for years why they did not wear something. If a batter needs one for a 90mph pitch I would think a pitcher needed one for a 130mph line drive.

desotodawg
12-19-2013, 08:29 PM
Most likely something like this. They use it in softball and I had my son wear it through one season after he got hit in the face.
DD

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41CnrPyB52L._SY300_.jpg

dawgs
12-19-2013, 08:41 PM

they used to play football in leather helmets and catchers wore gloves with next to no padding in them too.

Political Hack
12-19-2013, 08:50 PM
it's dumb that it took this long to make it available to them.

Todd4State
12-19-2013, 09:01 PM
Most likely something like this. They use it in softball and I had my son wear it through one season after he got hit in the face.
DD

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41CnrPyB52L._SY300_.jpg

The article I read said it was a hat- but again, I haven't seen it.

Political Hack
12-19-2013, 09:03 PM
I've heard it was going to be very similar to a hat and fit with the uniform... almost like the thing football player wear under their helmets but with a hard surface and padding.

messageboardsuperhero
12-19-2013, 09:07 PM
I've heard it was going to be very similar to a hat and fit with the uniform... almost like the thing football player wear under their helmets but with a hard surface and padding.

Yeah, a while ago I heard they were just doing padding underneath the hat- but that might have changed if Todd's article said it looked silly.

I guess we'll just wait and see.

Todd4State
12-19-2013, 09:09 PM
Yeah, a while ago I heard they were just doing padding underneath the hat- but that might have changed if Todd's article said it looked silly.

I guess we'll just wait and see.

The player in the article- Brandon McCarthy- was the one who said it looked silly. But he also said he was going to wear it. He was hit in the head this year. My guess is it makes the hat look like it's 5 sizes too big.