PDA

View Full Version : Interesting to see if this gets covered

BeastMan
12-19-2013, 10:38 AM
Yesterday the news of freshman TE Christian Morgan leaving came out. Immediately it didn't jump out at me b/c attrition happens everywhere. It's part of the game. Then I watched Freeze's interview post practice. It can be seen here http://blogs.clarionledger.com/um/2013/12/18/practice-notes-morgan-gives-up-football-and-wallace-speaks/?nclick_check=1

reporter- I haven't seen Christian Morgan out here.

Freeze- "Christian is no longer, he's gonna, he's gonna, uh either decide to not play football and maybe go somewhere else or stay here and not play. It's just uh, he's got to the point where he can't overcome that difficult uh, injury he's had."

reporter- "When did you make that decision?"

Freeze- "About a week ago. It's been, it's been on his mind for a while".

reproter- "He actually sat down with you?"

Freeze- "Ya last week. Well, this, this week. Todays, my days are running together. Um, I believe it was um, Saturday. Last Saturday."

Now pair that with a tweet that Christian Morgan tweeted after those comments went public (it is now deleted but can be found at @HeadtoHead (https://twitter.com/HeadtoHeadRadio) twitter feed)

"@C_Morgan2013: I have not decided to quit football, I am just transferring from Ole Miss. ...appreciate the opportunity they gave me."

That doesn't sound to me like Christian can't overcome an injury. I have zero inside knowledge whatsoever but it looks like he got cut. Unfortunately that happens all the time. It's unfortunate for the kid but it's part of college football.

I want to be clear. Morgan getting cut doesn't make Freeze a bad guy. BUT this is where he gets himself in trouble on the recruiting trail. I do not understand why he didn't just say, "Christian is no longer with us. I wish him the best..." Instead he sells us that it was b/c of an injury and he wouldn't play football and then the kid immediately says the opposite on twitter.

engie
12-19-2013, 10:55 AM
Zero chance Morris got cut.

They've got a 1-deep at Tight End right now. Evan Engram. Who is hurt. Morris was expected to start for them this year before his injury and Engram's emergence. At the least, Morris was uncomfortable with the idea of being a career backup TE in an offense that probably is only going to use one at a time and decided to leave on his own accord.

BeastMan
12-19-2013, 11:01 AM
That's what I don't understand Engie. Why would Freeze say it was injury and further, say he wouldn't play anywhere else either? That's what I don't get. If it's a simple transfer, why not just say he's going closer to home etc...?

ETA- They may be 1-deep now but they have Engram and Sammie Epps at TE for next year. That's a good 2. How much does Ole Miss really run an attached TE anyway? I'm not sure I but OM TE depth as being a big problem anyway since they are more or less big inside WRs anyway

engie
12-19-2013, 11:47 AM
They use the TE as a safety valve most of the time. They hurt BIGTIME this year after Engram went down, I know that much...

Westdawg
12-19-2013, 12:11 PM
their use of the TE was really good. I honoestly wish that we would use our TEs more effectively in the passing game. When we have, it has been tremendous. When OM lost their ability to throw those quick/intermediate throws to the TE, it completely changed their offense. You can say what you want, but their offense can work when it has all those options.

I have said for years, ever since mullen arrived at MSU, that the use of the TE would determine how effective our offense would be. You have to involve the TE wholly in order to fully exploit mismatches against the back 7. You force the defense to attach the LB or a S to the TE, this opens up your running lanes to the edge, and that same TE has to be able to block well enough to make the defense account for him in the run game. He also has to have the speed to mismatch with a LB in coverage and the hands to warrant passing to him.

CadaverDawg
12-19-2013, 01:28 PM
Bump. Where is Talty the Puppet on this?

RougeDawg
12-19-2013, 01:41 PM
That's what I don't understand Engie. Why would Freeze say it was injury and further, say he wouldn't play anywhere else either? That's what I don't get. If it's a simple transfer, why not just say he's going closer to home etc...?

ETA- They may be 1-deep now but they have Engram and Sammie Epps at TE for next year. That's a good 2. How much does Ole Miss really run an attached TE anyway? I'm not suroopI but OM TE depth as being a big problem anyway since they are more or less big inside WRs anyway

Because he doesn't want word getting out that players are unhappy in the holy land. He doesn't want current recruits to get any indication that what OM tells you prior to February, is vastly different from the reality you witness after stepping on to campus. It would blow their cover and prevent them from duping these gullible 17-18 year olds.

HancockCountyDog
12-19-2013, 01:50 PM
They use the TE as a safety valve most of the time. They hurt BIGTIME this year after Engram went down, I know that much...

THIS.

I know the bears really wanted to have this kid work out, it just appears his knee injury is not getting better. I keep hearing the phrase - "floating patella" and that its something that will never really heal.

THey are up shit creek again next year with only one seasoned TE on the roster. This is good news for us.

Also, I really hope we are all over Epps after the dead period - Im talking all over him.

BeastMan
12-19-2013, 02:05 PM
THIS.

I know the bears really wanted to have this kid work out, it just appears his knee injury is not getting better. I keep hearing the phrase - "floating patella" and that its something that will never really heal.

THey are up shit creek again next year with only one seasoned TE on the roster. This is good news for us.

Also, I really hope we are all over Epps after the dead period - Im talking all over him.

I saw all I needed to see in the all-star game to know Epps is a stud. Great get for the Rebs. I'd love to flip him. IMO he looks like a better receiving threat than Pack or Jackson even if he ends up at TE

smootness
12-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Also, I really hope we are all over Epps during the dead period - Im talking all over him.

FIFY