PDA

View Full Version : Hunter Renfroe

Will James
12-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Mentioned in a Fangraphs article. 7th on the Padre prospect list.

#7 (http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/2014-top-10-prospects-san-diego-padres/#7) Hunter Renfroe | 55/A- (http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=sa549860&position=OF) (OF)

The Year in Review: Renfroe was assigned to the short-season Northwest League after turning pro and he had a solid showing through 25 games. That earned him a promotion to Low-A ball where he struggled to get on base and hit the ball with authority in 18 games.

The Scouting Report: Renfroe, 21, is an interesting prospect for the organization to nab with its first pick (13th overall) given that he?s best tool is his plus raw power and the club plays its home games in a very spacious park. He still needs to show his strength more consistently in games but the bat speed is impressive. He swings and misses a lot, and needs to improve his pitch recognition if he?s going to hit for a high average or produce a solid on-base percentage (He doesn?t walk a ton, either). In the field, Renfroe displays solid range, above-average athleticism and a strong arm that is well suited to right field.

The Year Ahead: Renfroe may jump all the way to High-A to open the 2014 season. If he starts tapping into his power more consistently and puts more wood on the ball (The California League certainly won?t hurt his output), he could see Double-A in the second half.
The Career Outlook: We?re only 43 games into his pro career but the Mississippi State alum looks capable of developing into an average or better corner outfielder with 20+ home run potential

The Career Outlook: We’re only 43 games into his pro career but the Mississippi State alum looks capable of developing into an average or better corner outfielder with 20+ home run potential.

Bo Darville
12-19-2013, 09:46 AM
He swings and misses a lot, and needs to improve his pitch recognition if he?s going to hit for a high average or produce a solid on-base percentage (He doesn?t walk a ton, either).

That has always been my concern with Hunter. He can run, he can throw, and he can hit for power. What about his average and OBP at the next level? That's where he needs improvement.

Coach34
12-19-2013, 09:48 AM
Should be an interesting year for him. I think we see alot of K's this season

bully99
12-19-2013, 10:14 AM
Said it before, but I was surprised he was drafted that high. Too many times he looked overmatched, especially against some of the top pitchers. If he ever gets to the bigs, you could see Adam Dunn type numbers. Some homers and lots of strikeouts.

Will James
12-19-2013, 10:39 AM
Said it before, but I was surprised he was drafted that high. Too many times he looked overmatched, especially against some of the top pitchers. If he ever gets to the bigs, you could see Adam Dunn type numbers. Some homers and lots of strikeouts.

dunn was among the league leaders in walks in his time

dawgs
12-19-2013, 01:39 PM
if renfroe can develop a good eye and take a walk and continue developing his power, the bigs won't care if he struggles to hit .250. just keep that OBP respectable.