PDA

View Full Version : Dak > Tebow > Smith

EngineerDawg
12-19-2013, 09:24 AM
http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20131219/SPORTS030102/312190048/Hang-Better-than-Tim-Tebow-ESPN-analyst-says-Dak-Prescott-rare-talent

“He’s the best running quarterback that Dan Mullen’s every coached,” ESPN’s Jesse Palmer said on the TV broadcast. “Yeah, that includes Alex Smith, who was the No. 1 pick overall. That includes Tim Tebow.”

I am very biased... but I see it as well. Kid is special.

Political Hack
12-19-2013, 09:34 AM
He's got a much higher ceiling as a passing QB than Tebow did too. If he had Percy Harvin, A. Hernandez, and Jeff Demps, it would be a little easier to rack up some passing stats though.

Political Hack
12-19-2013, 09:36 AM
Dak is a more explosive runner than Tebow but I'm not sure he's more efficient yet. Tebow could exploit a crease as good as anyone ever has in college football. he could run in traffic, but he could also run to open space well.

Coach34
12-19-2013, 09:53 AM
He had the Pouncey brothers blocking for him too

Political Hack
12-19-2013, 09:59 AM
Ill take Gabe over either of them, but their OL was better across the board.

quickstrike2
12-19-2013, 10:01 AM
I have big hopes for Dak. Was excited as soon as we signed him, just seemed to be a great fit for our O. If he can stay healthy next year, I think he will put up big numbers for us. I don' t like comparing him to Tebow. Not fair to Dak, we have good talent here, but Tebow had elite talent around him at UF.

Johnson85
12-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Dak is a more explosive runner than Tebow but I'm not sure he's more efficient yet. Tebow could exploit a crease as good as anyone ever has in college football. he could run in traffic, but he could also run to open space well.

If I need 3 yards, I'd probably go with Tebow, but otherwise, I'd go with Dak. Maybe I'm just a blind homer, but I don't see how Tebow could do better with the talent Dak is surrounded by. I do think Tebow was probably better as a freshman and sophomore than Dak, but I think Dak will be better, at least for the talent we have.

Political Hack
12-19-2013, 10:23 AM
the more he gets compared to Tebow, the better it is for state. it will automatically elevate our teams stature and people will want to watch us.

msstate7
12-19-2013, 10:25 AM
the more he gets compared to Tebow, the better it is for state. it will automatically elevate our teams stature and people will want to watch us.

I agree with this

EngineerDawg
12-19-2013, 10:26 AM

AMEN!

Jack Lambert
12-19-2013, 10:27 AM
If I need 3 yards, I'd probably go with Tebow, but otherwise, I'd go with Dak. Maybe I'm just a blind homer, but I don't see how Tebow could do better with the talent Dak is surrounded by. I do think Tebow was probably better as a freshman and sophomore than Dak, but I think Dak will be better, at least for the talent we have.

Would you have been as nervous on the 4th and 2 with Tebow?

Political Hack
12-19-2013, 10:29 AM
the CL had to put out a positive State article after the last crap piece willy wonka wrote.

Coach34
12-19-2013, 10:32 AM

I wasnt nervous at all strangely- just a different feeling of our offense with Dakota at QB for me

justwin
12-19-2013, 10:59 AM
Very lofty expectations. Let's see of he can lead us to a win vs lsu first before comparing him to tebow. He does fit the Mullen mold though

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20131219/SPORTS030102/312190048/Hang-Better-than-Tim-Tebow-ESPN-analyst-says-Dak-Prescott-rare-talent

I am very biased... but I see it as well. Kid is special.

EngineerDawg
12-19-2013, 11:00 AM
the CL had to put out a positive State article after the last crap piece willy wonka wrote.

I thought that as well but I do like this Bonner fellow.

thedawg
12-19-2013, 11:02 AM
I had zero doubt in my mind Dak was gonna score on 4th and 2... Like had already shifted my thoughts to whether or not we could stop them with four downs to get in.

dawgoneyall
12-19-2013, 12:26 PM
He needs/has to work on his rollout passing. If he improves that he will be one of the SEC's best.

Bubb Rubb
12-19-2013, 12:38 PM
I wasnt nervous at all strangely- just a different feeling of our offense with Dakota at QB for me

I was, and it's not a slight on Dak at all. We have historically shown over the past couple of seasons to struggle in 4th and short situations. I know some of that was giving the ball to Perkins, but some of it was with Dak (and sadly, Russell) trying to run the ball, too. I specifically remember the Rebels stoning Dak on short yardage plays in the '12 egg bowl. These are more playcalling issues than issues with personnel, but it doesn't change the fact that I was nervous as hell on that play.

Johnson85
12-19-2013, 01:01 PM

Less nervous. I may be giving Tebow credit that his OLine deserves, but my impression is that if Tebow and Dak were held up by the pile, Tebow would be a little better at pushing it the last two yards.

EngineerDawg
12-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Does Dak have an official 40 time? I haven't ever seen it and always wondered where he fell.... I figured 4.5? He ran away from defenders a few times this year.

state66
12-19-2013, 01:46 PM
If Dak works on his accuracy this offseason and really throws the ball, something he couldnt do this past offseason due to his toe, than he can be special. early in the season he was missing wide receivers and his throws were off but once again he didnt have an entire offseason to get reps and perfect his motion, unless you think throwing off a stool is reps. I think Dak can be great but hes gotta get with those wide receivers this offseason and get those reps and get his accuracy down. Thats the only thing holding him back and if he can master it, look out.

smootness
12-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Does Dak have an official 40 time? I haven't ever seen it and always wondered where he fell.... I figured 4.5? He ran away from defenders a few times this year.

It wouldn't be 4.5. My guess would be around 4.65-4.7, which is plenty fast enough for a QB, especially one with his running style.

The interesting thing is that I could see Dak running about a 4.7 at the Combine and Russell running about a 4.8ish, which seems crazy. But everyone can accelerate pretty well when you start out lined up like they do in the 40 and get a good push. But Russell has very little acceleration when he's standing flat-footed, and very little lateral agility or quickness, so he seems much slower. I think in a straight line, with the ability to really load and push off, Russell wouldn't be way slower than Dak.

EngineerDawg
12-19-2013, 02:50 PM
It wouldn't be 4.5. My guess would be around 4.65-4.7, which is plenty fast enough for a QB, especially one with his running style.

The interesting thing is that I could see Dak running about a 4.7 at the Combine and Russell running about a 4.8ish, which seems crazy. But everyone can accelerate pretty well when you start out lined up like they do in the 40 and get a good push. But Russell has very little acceleration when he's standing flat-footed, and very little lateral agility or quickness, so he seems much slower. I think in a straight line, with the ability to really load and push off, Russell wouldn't be way slower than Dak.

That's true.... and good point about Russell.

RougeDawg
12-19-2013, 03:03 PM
Y'all are all forgetting that Dak missed the entire spring. His passing at the end of the year was leaps and bounds ahead of where it was at the beginning of the season. He will get to practice this spring and should be more proficient in the passing game, by the time the mustard buzzards come rolling into town. Not to mention how much our WR's improved throughout the season, especially our underclassmen. They will only improve further, and now that we will be running just one type of QB, I expect the entire offense as a whole to be much more efficient in 2014.

CadaverDawg
12-19-2013, 03:04 PM
http://0.tqn.com/d/dinosaurs/1/0/n/X/-/-/woollymammothWC2.jpg