PDA

View Full Version : Norm's spot

mic
12-19-2013, 09:07 AM
Looks like Jervontius Stallings OT from Spain Park , AL is who may be getting this spot..
Visiting UK 1-17 and MSU 1-24.. Wonder if his GF will be going on the visits with him..

Covercorner2
12-19-2013, 09:11 AM
Looks like he played center in HS (6'3 305), so as we thought, this spot seems to be intended for interior line depth. Unrated, but highlight tape on Hudl is impressive. Interesting...

Rick Danko
12-19-2013, 09:12 AM
I tend to lean towards trusting the staff's ability to evaluate talent, but this to me seems like a late "recruiting season" filler. With the size of this class already small and the amount of talent in next years class, I think we should book this spot for next year if it is not going to be filled with a big time talent. JMHO

mic
12-19-2013, 09:17 AM
I tend to lean towards trusting the staff's ability to evaluate talent, but this to me seems like a late "recruiting season" filler. With the size of this class already small and the amount of talent in next years class, I think we should book this spot for next year if it is not going to be filled with a big time talent. JMHO

The spots next year will work themselves out.. there will be some guys that prob wont qualify and every school always has a little attrition from year to year.

HancockCountyDog
12-19-2013, 09:40 AM

As excited as I am about next year, we can't just sign 17-19 players with the hope of signing a 30 player class next year. It causes problems with class distribution and playing time, along with depth. I was hoping we would go after a little better caliber player than someone that has offers from Western Kentucky, Kentucky and Colorado state, but it is what it is.

engie
12-19-2013, 09:51 AM

Isn't that what Taveze Calhoun, Artimas Samuel, and Dillon Day also were?

There will be room in the next class to sign 28+

Coach34
12-19-2013, 09:57 AM
no kidding- we have done extremely well with late additions

Johnson85
12-19-2013, 10:10 AM

I think the fact that he's getting an offer now probably tells you how they evaluated him. Hopefully they are wrong about him and he ends up being better than expected, but I would guess we're looking at something like the OL from Gulf Coast (Holly?), who provides some depth and is a good player to have, but that's about it.

ShotgunDawg
12-19-2013, 10:16 AM
I like late editions, because your typically getting a kid that played very well his senior year. Kids develop at different paces, but something has to be said for getting a kid that actually plays well and that's exactly what you get with a late edition.

thedawg
12-19-2013, 10:41 AM
Late additions are usually pretty good because we usually take guys that are players that proved it on the field their senior year or are studs that are qualifying risks so they scared off the big boys.

I mean going into his senior year you have Taveze Calhoun. Hes a 5'10 kid that runs well but just looks like another guy in t shirts and shorts. Then he makes every play for his team his senior year and goes to the Miss Al game and proves he can compete. He may not project like those 6'3 guys but at the end of the day he proves hes a football player.

Damien Williams looked like another 6' quarterback going into his senior year. Then he leads his team to state championship game.

I could go on and on. I love how our staff recruits because they evaluate the kids in camp and trust their evaluations. They always hold a spot for late in the process because they know that a Fred Ross or Calhoun or Artimas Samual is gonna happen.

Wade Garrett
12-19-2013, 10:52 AM
Jervontius is the brother of former Missisppi lineman Tre Stallings. If I am not mistaken Tre Stallings works for the SEC now