PDA

View Full Version : Feeling a dose of doubt this morning.

dickiedawg
04-24-2013, 08:21 AM
We're on a high right now, having regained a winning league record, with three successful weekends in a row. There's talk of being a lock to host barring a severe breakdown, we can play our way to a national seed, etc. one thing is certain, we control our own destiny as far as locking up a host an a bye in the sec tourney. No doubt.

But another thing is certain, also. We're going to have to man up and do it. Nothing is a foregone conclusion and the road is a lot tougher from here out. All of the remaining teams on our schedule are our equals or better in the standings, save Alabama who is a game back. I guess it just hit me how much tougher our remaining schedule is than the last couple of weeks have been, when all this momentum really built.

We should be in for a fun rest of the season. As I said, we've got our fate in our own hands. But we've got a long way to go yet.

Goat Holder
04-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Look at it this way.....all we need to do is go .500 from here on out in SEC play. I'm assuming now that we can beat Oral Roberts at home, but you never know (see Carolina losing to Gardner-Webb last pm). That'll put us at 40-16, 16-14. With our RPI, we host with that. Anything better is a lock.

FlabLoser
04-24-2013, 09:23 AM
I'm not doubting. But I'm not as high as everybody else. I'm a lot less certain that we're going to walk in and win an away series from one of the best teams in the country.

Ronny
04-24-2013, 09:33 AM
..about getting all 3 games in this weekend.

In Nashville, there is a 50% chance of rain Sat. then a 30% chance of rain Sunday.

Perhaps having to work around disruptive weather will throw Vandy out of their rhythm & work to our favor.

dickiedawg
04-24-2013, 10:25 AM
..about getting all 3 games in this weekend.

In Nashville, there is a 50% chance of rain Sat. then a 30% chance of rain Sunday.

Perhaps having to work around disruptive weather will throw Vandy out of their rhythm & work to our favor.

Could be even worse. Weather.com has Saturday as 60% chance, and it's listed as "showers." I'd bet on getting all three in, but a washout wouldn't be the worst thing, if we were able to win one of the other two.
I was hoping for better weather, though, as I'm making the trip.

Coach34
04-24-2013, 10:32 AM
Cohen's teams always play better at the end of the season-it's becoming a trademark. I think our guys are going to be pumped up about the chance to take down the #3 team in the country this weekend.

engie
04-24-2013, 10:50 AM
We haven't even come close to playing our best games yet IMO...

Will James
04-24-2013, 11:05 AM
We haven't even come close to playing our best games yet IMO...

College Station ought to be pretty damn close.

Goat Holder
04-24-2013, 11:23 AM
No doubt. And killing Memphis and USM. Soundly defeating Ole Miss, Florida and Auburn (who's hitting its stride). We have definitely upped the ante over the past few weeks. I really hope engie is right but I'm afraid he's gotten into the kool-aid. We won't be truly elite until Pollo takes the next step or Woodruff/E.Mitchell/Fitts/somebody steps in and can give us a shot vs. elite Friday night guys.

War Machine Dawg
04-24-2013, 11:50 AM
Cohen's teams always play better at the end of the season-it's becoming a trademark. I think our guys are going to be pumped up about the chance to take down the #3 team in the country this weekend.

It's called peaking. And the best coaches get their teams to do it at the end of the season and playoffs. Basketball tends to follow the same rule - you try to be playing your best in late February and March. To me, our trend of peaking in late April and sustaining it into the SECT & NCAA playoffs is further proof that Cohen is a good coach, despite some of the head scratching moves.

ScoobaDawg
04-24-2013, 12:02 PM
We will know so much more after this weekend. We have to win 1 vs Vandy. If we somehow pick up 2, then that would be a tremendous resume boost.

Pollodawg
04-24-2013, 12:05 PM
It's called peaking. And the best coaches get their teams to do it at the end of the season and playoffs. Basketball tends to follow the same rule - you try to be playing your best in late February and March. To me, our trend of peaking in late April and sustaining it into the SECT & NCAA playoffs is further proof that Cohen is a good coach, despite some of the head scratching moves.

This. Baseball is all about getting hot at the right time, which Cohen excels at.

engie
04-24-2013, 01:02 PM
College Station ought to be pretty damn close.

Meh -- that's against a team that has lost 12 of their last 16. Graveman didn't have his best stuff -- and our defense wasn't what I expect in that series...

dickiedawg
04-24-2013, 01:26 PM
[QUOTE=ScoobaDawg;6364]We will know so much more after this weekend. We have to win 1 vs Vandy. If we somehow pick up 2, then that would be a tremendous resume boost.[/QUOTE

+1. If we take two this weekend I will be a wooly son of a gun.