PDA

View Full Version : Interesting list of cost/win for each FBS head football coach

DawgInMemphis
12-18-2013, 04:30 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2013/12/17/ncaa-college-football-coaches-pay-salary-per-win/4080057/

smootness
12-18-2013, 04:49 PM
That's interesting, but it doesn't mean much unless you reduce it down and look within individual conferences.

It's also not of much use when trying to figure out the true value of a coach to a school. It would be very interesting to try to figure out, in pure revenue through increased attendance, direct revenues through the football program, etc., who is the best bargain for each school and who may be costing more money than they're bringing in...but that would be close to impossible and would take forever.

BulldogDX55
12-18-2013, 05:18 PM
That's interesting, but it doesn't mean much unless you reduce it down and look within individual conferences.

It's also not of much use when trying to figure out the true value of a coach to a school. It would be very interesting to try to figure out, in pure revenue through increased attendance, direct revenues through the football program, etc., who is the best bargain for each school and who may be costing more money than they're bringing in...but that would be close to impossible and would take forever.

All it would take is someone who is good at Excel to gather the data from the article, find the athletic department revenue numbers for every school who provides it, crosstab, and divide teams by conference and you would come up with some really interesting numbers. Hell, I am a grad student with a relevant degree and I might just do that myself in order to fight off boredom during the break.

smootness
12-18-2013, 06:04 PM
All it would take is someone who is good at Excel to gather the data from the article, find the athletic department revenue numbers for every school who provides it, crosstab, and divide teams by conference and you would come up with some really interesting numbers. Hell, I am a grad student with a relevant degree and I might just do that myself in order to fight off boredom during the break.

That would definitely be good to see; I was talking about actually trying to figure out how much Coach A is bringing in compared to previous coaches, or coaches at other conference schools, and relative to the growth experienced at the other schools, etc.

For example, obviously Alabama brings in more money than we do. But that doesn't automatically mean their coach should be paid more. If our coach is bringing in more than the average coach would at our school, and theirs is bringing in about the average amount, then ours is actually more valuable to us than theirs is to them. It would be very difficult to try to truly figure out what each coach is really worth to that school, but you could find some interesting stuff.

BulldogDX55
12-18-2013, 06:39 PM
That would definitely be good to see; I was talking about actually trying to figure out how much Coach A is bringing in compared to previous coaches, or coaches at other conference schools, and relative to the growth experienced at the other schools, etc.

For example, obviously Alabama brings in more money than we do. But that doesn't automatically mean their coach should be paid more. If our coach is bringing in more than the average coach would at our school, and theirs is bringing in about the average amount, then ours is actually more valuable to us than theirs is to them. It would be very difficult to try to truly figure out what each coach is really worth to that school, but you could find some interesting stuff.

Ah, so you are saying you would like to tsee data on perhaps a % increase in athletic budget from one coach to the next? That would be interesting. I will slowly, over the next week or so, do the initial thing I said for all of FBS, and then after that I could probably do the other thing for just the SEC and maybe a few of the big schools. That'll be a good bit of work, but I'm really bored.

WeWonItAll(Most)
12-18-2013, 06:46 PM
At the bottom of the article it says Fresno St only played 11 games and Colorado State played 13. How did CO State play 13?