PDA

View Full Version : OT: Why did Jackson State fire Comegy and staff

M.Fillmore
12-18-2013, 04:14 PM
I know they lost to Alcorn and the SWAC championship game but they made the SWAC championship game.

What gives?

CJDAWG85
12-18-2013, 04:25 PM
I have literally no idea... Can't figure this one out...

Maybe something was going on behind the scenes that they didn't want getting out?

FlabLoser
12-18-2013, 04:30 PM
Lumumba has some neighbors that want to try out football coaching.

Harrydawg
12-18-2013, 04:48 PM
Surely you would not have any expectation of rationale decision making going on at JSU would you? Think wise, well thought out plans and this group will do the opposite.

Bo Darville
12-18-2013, 04:59 PM
A few reasons from someone I know that is well-connected to JSU and the athletic program.

1) They wanted Comegy to recruit more from the Jackson metro area. Too many out-of-state kids.

2) Fans and administration upset about having too many whites on the team.

3) Comegy does not demand enough discipline.

CJDAWG85
12-18-2013, 05:05 PM

You serious Clark?

curmudgeon
12-18-2013, 05:10 PM
They had a white QB (Clayton Moore from Louisville) this year that their fan base is very confident "cost them the SWAC Championship" Add to that that Alcorn hired a white coach and turned them around from 1-11 to 9-3 and a victory over JSU, and the J-State base is fired up.

Final play at around 2:00 - ball was caught but receiver landed out of bounds. This was in overtime, catch the ball and JSU wins.

Fire the coach.

Sorry for the horrible video - its all I could find. Literally 10 band videos to every football video from the SWAC Championship game.

NCDawg
12-18-2013, 05:29 PM
You serious Clark?

Yes, and Rob Jay didn't like that.

Bo Darville
12-18-2013, 05:29 PM
You serious Clark?

I'm dead serious.

CJDAWG85
12-18-2013, 05:32 PM
Is that not racist?

Bo Darville
12-18-2013, 05:38 PM
Is that not racist?

Yes. But it is one thing that many fans are not happy with. Call it what you will.

CJDAWG85
12-18-2013, 05:53 PM
I mean it is what it is... But just think of the firestorm that would happen if a FBS school did that and it was reversed.

bully99
12-18-2013, 05:57 PM
Rob Jay likes him some high school girls. Creep

Todd4State
12-18-2013, 06:08 PM
A few reasons from someone I know that is well-connected to JSU and the athletic program.

1) They wanted Comegy to recruit more from the Jackson metro area. Too many out-of-state kids.

2) Fans and administration upset about having too many whites on the team.3) Comegy does not demand enough discipline.

So, if a white player wanted to go there and could help them win?

Todd4State
12-18-2013, 06:11 PM
Bo- I guess they may hire someone with JPS credentials. Between those 7 JPS schools plus the players in the suburbs they could put together a pretty good SWAC team.

Comegy and the JSU administration have been feuding for years. Comegy is a good coach though.

MSUDawg4Life
12-18-2013, 06:12 PM
Y'all do realize the QB before Clayton Moore was white too, don't you? Casey Therriault, nicknamed "White Tiger" by the fans, was actually quite popular with them. There were several articles written about how the fans embraced him. I seriously doubt Comegy was fired because of white players. Though some seem eager to believe such foolishness.

Bo Darville
12-18-2013, 06:15 PM
Bo- I guess they may hire someone with JPS credentials. Between those 7 JPS schools plus the players in the suburbs they could put together a pretty good SWAC team.

They do want a coach who will recruit more locally. They would rather get a player from Provine or Jim Hill than a high school in Bessemer, Alabama. They want a coach who will focus more on the JPS schools, Ridgeland, Madison Central, Germantown, Canton, Clinton, Pearl, Brandon, etc.

Sacrifice
12-18-2013, 06:16 PM
It wouldn't shock me one bit to see them go after Daryl Jones from Callaway. He's turned around that program big time...

bully99
12-18-2013, 06:17 PM
Why do people like you never think there's any black racism and bigotry in America. Get a clue.

Bo Darville
12-18-2013, 06:18 PM
Y'all do realize the QB before Clayton Moore was white too, don't you? Casey Therriault, nicknamed "White Tiger" by the fans, was actually quite popular with them. There were several articles written about how the fans embraced him. I seriously doubt Comegy was fired because of white players. Though some seem eager to believe such foolishness.

I never said it was THE reason he was fired. I said it was one of the reasons given to me. There were other reasons obviously. But many fans were not happy with the number of whites. My source on this is impeccable when it comes to JSU athletics.

MSUDawg4Life
12-18-2013, 06:30 PM
I never said it was THE reason he was fired. I said it was one of the reasons given to me. There were other reasons obviously. But many fans were not happy with the number of whites. My source on this is impeccable when it comes to JSU athletics.

That's laughable.

Unless your "source" is God, your "source" is far from impeccable.

And bully99, I never said there wasn't any black racism and bigotry in America. I'm saying I don't believe white players are a reason Comegy was fired from JSU and that it's comical how easily some people take hearsay like that and believe it without any further thought. Come on, people. You have to at least investigate it a little further.

Bo Darville
12-18-2013, 06:38 PM
That's laughable.

Unless your "source" is God, your "source" is far from impeccable.

Fair enough and you've got a good point. I guess no human can be considered impeccable. However, I would think that Tim Cook would have a good idea on where Apple stands with their rumored deal with China Mobile. You obviously consider it laughable that Cook would know anything.

RougeDawg
12-18-2013, 06:42 PM
For those of you questioning the rationale amongst JState officials, these are the same people who wanted the state to build them a domed stadium for a team that draws around 10-15k fans a game.

MSUDawg4Life
12-18-2013, 06:42 PM
Fair enough and you've got a good point. I guess no human can be considered impeccable. However, I would think that Tim Cook would have a good idea on where Apple stands with their rumored deal with China Mobile. You obviously consider it laughable that Cook would know anything.

Okay, man.

If you want people to believe the president of JSU told you that they fired Comegy because of white players ....

Bo Darville
12-18-2013, 06:46 PM
Okay, man.

If you want people to believe the president of JSU told you that they fired Comegy because of white players ....

Not the president. But someone that would know. And it's not the reason. It is one on the list.

Todd4State
12-18-2013, 06:46 PM
For those of you questioning the rationale amongst JState officials, these are the same people who wanted the state to build them a domed stadium for a team that draws around 10-15k fans a game.

They're also the ones that tried to get more money out of MSU when we played them in football in 2009. Byrne was pretty much like- 17 off.

Todd4State
12-18-2013, 06:47 PM
I can vouche this for Bo- Tim Cook is very connected with JSU. I don't know Tim personally, but I know who he is.

MSUDawg4Life
12-18-2013, 06:54 PM
I can vouche this for Bo- Tim Cook is very connected with JSU. I don't know Tim personally, but I know who he is.

Haha. This is hilarious. He was referring to the CEO of Apple - you know, iPad, iPhone, MacBook - that company. lol

Just admit that y'all are on the outside looking in and don't know anything. Just like everybody else.

Bo Darville
12-18-2013, 06:54 PM

I'm talking bout Cook the Apple CEO. Trying to explain that you don't have to be God to know something. I would consider Megan Mullen to be an impeccable source if I wanted to know what Mullen's hair looked like in the morning when he got out of bed.

MSUDawg4Life
12-18-2013, 06:57 PM
I'm talking bout Cook the Apple CEO. Trying to explain that you don't have to be God to know something. I would consider Megan Mullen to be an impeccable source if I wanted to know what Mullen's hair looked like in the morning when he got out of bed.

Haha.

You'd wrong about that too.

Jacksondevildog
12-18-2013, 06:58 PM
All of this is true including the fact that, Comegy took a risk on a lot of players that got kicked out of big programs. It killed the APR at Jackson State. I talked with a Jackson State fan today and he is glad that they fired him. He said, "you can't lose the SWAC championship game twice". I was like WTF?

3) Comegy does not demand enough discipline.

bully99
12-18-2013, 06:59 PM
I'm wary of Tim Cook of Apple. . He's an Auburn grad and a switch hitter. So there.

Bo Darville
12-18-2013, 07:04 PM
Go read 3 of the reasons I gave then read this quote from JSU. Sounds like I knew something.

16 WAPT's Tammy Estwick asked JSU Communication Director Eric Stringfellow why Comegy was released.

"Recruiting in Mississippi/the metro area, discipline and the third one being somebody to develop our student athletes through discipline," Stringfellow said.

Stringfellow said the university needs a football coach who is community-oriented.

"Somebody that's going to embrace the community," Stringfellow said. "I think a football coach is more than a football coach. He's a figure in the community, and we're looking for someone that's going to embrace that role."

Todd4State
12-18-2013, 07:09 PM

I thought you were talking about one of their assistant football coaches- obviously I was mistaken. Foot in mouth.

MSUDawg4Life
12-18-2013, 07:20 PM
Bo. Come on, man. Work with me. You can't be this gullible.

You actually believe they fired a coach who won their division and took them to their conference championship game for the past two years because they want Jackson kids on the team? Do you actually believe kids from Jackson are more disciplined than kids from anywhere else? More academically inclined?

You believe that? That they fired what could have been considered the best coach in their conference because they want kids from Jackson.

Wow.

I'm going to allow you to win this argument though. You know what's going on. lol

curmudgeon
12-18-2013, 07:27 PM

You actually believe they fired a coach who won their division and took them to their conference championship game for the past two years because they want Jackson kids on the team? Do you actually believe kids from Jackson are more disciplined than kids from anywhere else? More academically inclined?

You believe that? That they fired what could have been considered the best coach in their conference because they want kids from Jackson.

Wow.

I'm going to allow you to win this argument though. You know what's going on. lol

Well, according to the news reports - the "main" reason they fired him is the local recruiting. JSU stands for Just Show Up = they aren't worried about the academics - they've had APR problems for years, and I'm not connected, and I know one guy that is a hardcore JSU fan - and he thinks they have too many white players.

Todd4State
12-18-2013, 07:27 PM

Wow.

We are talking the city of Jackson here and Jackson State University. Logic doesn't always mix with the two.

PendingTransaction
12-18-2013, 11:02 PM
Surely you would not have any expectation of rationale decision making going on at JSU would you? Think wise, well thought out plans and this group will do the opposite.

Seems racist to me. But hey, what would I know; I'm of the majority.

Jacksondevildog
12-18-2013, 11:07 PM
By the way, his buyout was $50,000.

BulldogBear
12-19-2013, 02:39 AM
I work with alot of JSU alums. They would add to the list above:

- Playing to level of opponent/not putting people away. Most complain that nobody gets serious till the 4th qtr

- Lack of offense

- Losing to SU and Alcorn in same year

Jack Lambert
12-19-2013, 10:25 AM

The key word is rationale. They have a women President and a women AD. The AD has lost several jobs due to sex.

CooterDavenport
12-19-2013, 10:43 AM
The key word is rationale. They have a women President and a women AD. The AD has lost several jobs due to sex.

The key word should have been "rational."

ED_Walk_On
12-19-2013, 12:08 PM
Is that not racist?

Not if it denigrates white people. Isn't that how it works?

slickdawg
12-19-2013, 01:37 PM
Weren't HBCU's required to reach some level of "non-black" enrollment because of they Ayers case settlement?

Jack Lambert
12-19-2013, 01:40 PM
The key word should have been "rational."

I am not one to correct others.

HancockCountyDog
12-19-2013, 01:51 PM
If anyone read the CL article about this, its pretty clear the Murrah coach is angling to get a job at JSU and will try to bring Dear with him. From everything I understand, the Dear recruitment should be epic if the reports Im hearing are true.

Ronny
12-19-2013, 02:01 PM

[/2) Fans and administration upset about having too many whites on the team.

I'm used to reading some ignorant stuff here, but this takes the cake.

Besides the QB & kicker, how many whites are on the JSU football team? Let's say there are 3 more we don't know about. That's 5 ****ing whites on the whole team &, according to you, JSU is busy claiming reverse discrimination.

You sound like some Ole Miss asshole when you come up with crap like this.

I'm sick of this mentality that it's impossible for whites to be prejudiced, yet if you are a minority your whole world revolves around racial resentment & hatred.

smootness
12-19-2013, 02:06 PM
If anyone read the CL article about this, its pretty clear the Murrah coach is angling to get a job at JSU and will try to bring Dear with him. From everything I understand, the Dear recruitment should be epic if the reports Im hearing are true.

Well, then he's completely delusional. Or Dear is one weird dude.

MSUDawg4Life
12-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Senior starting LB Cameron Loeffler is also white. Heck of LB for the SWAC and another fan favorite.

I'm thinking some folks have learned to tell ... other folks ... what they want to hear. Knowing that they'll swallow it hook, line and sinker and get out of their business.

Can't be that gullible. No matter how bad you want to lay claim to reverse racism.