PDA

View Full Version : How do we start the bowl game?

BeachDawg
12-18-2013, 01:41 PM
We should be able to run the ball down Rice's throat. However, seeing how Mullen has called plays he will likely think he can trick Rice and come out throwing the ball. I sure hope i'm wrong. Would love to see Robinson and Shump run all over them.

TheRef
12-18-2013, 01:42 PM
#RTGDF

Barking 13
12-18-2013, 01:42 PM
with the kick**** :D

EngineerDawg
12-18-2013, 01:47 PM
We should be able to run the ball down Rice's throat. However, seeing how Mullen has called plays he will likely think he can trick Rice and come out throwing the ball. I sure hope i'm wrong. Would love to see Robinson and Shump run all over them.

Perkins up the middle 15 + times**

Coach34
12-18-2013, 01:59 PM

What basis do you have to think this?

Our 1st drives of games with Dakota starting at QB:

TD vs Alcorn
35 yr missed FG vs Auburn
Devon Bell FG vs Troy
Dakota Prescott TD vs LSU
Dakota Prescott TD pass to MoJo vs Kentucky
Dakota Prescott TD vs SC

So basically- every game that Dakota started- we scored on the 1st drive except for the missed FG vs Auburn

EngineerDawg
12-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Maybe he means trying to "out smart" the defense, rather than using our physical advantage?

messageboardsuperhero
12-18-2013, 02:16 PM
Say what you want about Mullen's in-game adjustments, but we always come out of the gate and move the ball early in the game.

FlabLoser
12-18-2013, 02:21 PM
What basis do you have to think this?

Our 1st drives of games with Dakota starting at QB:

TD vs Alcorn
35 yr missed FG vs Auburn
Devon Bell FG vs Troy
Dakota Prescott TD vs LSU
Dakota Prescott TD pass to MoJo vs Kentucky
Dakota Prescott TD vs SC

So basically- every game that Dakota started- we scored on the 1st drive except for the missed FG vs Auburn

As well, his first drive against OM, he goes down the field and we miss a FG. Dak moves the ball on his first drive.

Barking 13
12-18-2013, 02:34 PM
with the kick**** :D

seriously, probably on defense...

MSUDawg4Life
12-18-2013, 02:36 PM
seriously, probably on defense...

Which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing for us.

BeachDawg
12-18-2013, 02:40 PM
I didn't say we wouldn't move the ball. I just feel Mullen will try to out smart them when we are physically a much better team than they are.

CJDAWG85
12-18-2013, 02:45 PM
Depending on the wind, I'd start out with a run to either Perkins or JRob. Then I'd do a PA Bomb to either Wilson or Lewis just to stretch the D and let them know we can and will go deep.

blacklistedbully
12-18-2013, 03:05 PM
This is what concerns me the most about Mullen, though I wouldn't tie it to the beginning of the game. We often come out running the ball down their throats with DP and/or JRob, then inexplicably move away from it. JRob gains 30 yards or more on 5 carries, then we either start throwing passes that are dropped, putting us in 2nd or 3rd & long, and/or we roll with LP between the tackles time & again for little-to-no gain.

As much as I love TR for his loyalty, class, etc, having him unavailable for this game makes this less of a possibility with Mullen. With DP running the read option, teams can't key as much on LP in running the ball since DP is a real threat to run wild.

But still, I do worry Mullen will try to get too clever, thinking he needs to win this with unexpected play-calls designed to fool the defense, which seems to me to equal calling a play that has rarely worked because the D won't expect it.

But I'm gonna shift now to positive mode. I'm again going to convince myself Mullen has learned from past mistakes and is going to "put it all together" like he did vs Michigan in the Gator, or Ole Miss with Relf, Ballard & a properly-used LP.

EngineerDawg
12-18-2013, 03:09 PM
I want some good, old fashioned, power football.... smack Rice in the mouth.

Political Hack
12-18-2013, 03:15 PM
probably with a bloody marry, but it really depends on the night before.

EngineerDawg
12-18-2013, 03:26 PM
probably with a bloody marry, but it really depends on the night before.

ISWYDT

drunkernhelldawg
12-18-2013, 03:37 PM
On offense, probably a DP read option run for seven yards. On defense, probably four yards up the middle for Rice.

camsu
12-18-2013, 03:45 PM
Depends on field conditions but I see a read option for 20yds