PDA

View Full Version : Baseball draft update- signee version

Homedawg
04-23-2013, 10:27 PM
We are concerned about Dakota Hudson. Probably lose him. Next is the big guy from poplarville, Zac houston, there is some concern w him as well. Sexton from ala has been hurt in good shape there. Also, the hs catcher from California has been hurt some as well and has been playing outfield and the concern of losing him is not nearly as high Amy longer. We do have some guys that could-will get drafted, Humphries for one, that we feel good about being here in the fall.............too add, if you don't think butch knows what he's doing, Hudson got his offer from us when NO other school was on him. Meaning no big time school, no sec, cusa, acc nothing. He was throwing low to mid 80's. 6 months later vandy was on him and a year plus later pro scouts are lining up to see him throw 90+ w a very protectable body.

msstate7
04-23-2013, 10:46 PM
Add cord to that list and the draft could be a bad day for us. It'll also be the day we lose renfroe.

Coach34
04-23-2013, 10:50 PM
About the only negative thing you could say about Butch at this point is that he may not....mayyyyy not...deal with mental cases very well. We seem to produce at least one of these every season.

msstate7
04-23-2013, 10:52 PM
About the only negative thing you could say about Butch at this point is that he may not....mayyyyy not...deal with mental cases very well. We seem to produce at least one of these every season.
We've gotta be on borrowed time with butch. He'll get shot as head coach soon you would think

Homedawg
04-23-2013, 10:52 PM
Add cord to that list and the draft could be a bad day for us. It'll also be the day we lose renfroe.
I don't count cord. At least not for baseball. He's not going to play baseball here I'm convinced. As for renfroe, I hope like hell that becomes the norm, losing a guy or guys high in the draft every year. That's what it takes to be big time. We are getting there.

Homedawg
04-23-2013, 10:53 PM
We've gotta be on borrowed time with butch. He'll get shot as head coach soon you would think

No question. When the right one comes along, he's gone. Can't blame him.

msstate7
04-23-2013, 10:54 PM
I don't count cord. At least not for baseball. He's not going to play baseball here I'm convinced. As for renfroe, I hope like hell that becomes the norm, losing a guy or guys high in the draft every year. That's what it takes to be big time. We are getting there.

I don't think cord will play baseball here either. Just saying the draft could be a sad day to be an msu fan

engie
04-23-2013, 11:32 PM
We are concerned about Dakota Hudson. Probably lose him. Next is the big guy from poplarville, Zac houston, there is some concern w him as well. Sexton from ala has been hurt in good shape there. Also, the hs catcher from California has been hurt some as well and has been playing outfield and the concern of losing him is not nearly as high Amy longer. We do have some guys that could-will get drafted, Humphries for one, that we feel good about being here in the fall.............too add, if you don't think butch knows what he's doing, Hudson got his offer from us when NO other school was on him. Meaning no big time school, no sec, cusa, acc nothing. He was throwing low to mid 80's. 6 months later vandy was on him and a year plus later pro scouts are lining up to see him throw 90+ w a very protectable body.

Do you know any of their "numbers"? PG shows all three as 4th-10th rd projections... has something changed?

engie
04-23-2013, 11:40 PM

He's from Amory and is an MSU guy through and through -- his and his wife's families are here and his kids are as well. Most of his early coaching stops were with MSU guys -- Shoenrock and Shoop. I really don't see him leaving for anything less than a really, really good HC gig. He was promoted to associate HC here -- and probably makes more money than most head coaches around the country. Even then, you know after 12 years of being a very good pitching coach and tremendous recruiter, that he's had options over the years. I guess I just don't see him leaving for a Northwestern St type opportunity... doesn't seem wired that way...

AlSwearengen
04-24-2013, 07:37 AM
The last time I spoke with Houston's dad (probably three months ago), they had just spoken with several scouts in their home. He talked like Zach would be at State unless they offered a million dollars. I got the feeling from the discussion that they were told Zach wouldn't go high enough to make them skip college. It is probably one of those situations where scouts want to see if he can go to college and develop another pitch or command, etc.

Prior to the latest discussion, I got the impression that the chances of getting him on campus were slim. From everything I have heard from others and the feeling that I get from the father is that the kid has plenty of size and arm to be a high pick, but he needs to learn to pitch. I also get the feeling that he hasn't grown up with travel ball and all of that stuff from an early age like alot of kids do these days.

Todd4State
04-24-2013, 04:09 PM
The only two- not counting Cord Sandberg- that I heard that we were concerned about were Collins and Hudson.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Brent Rooker, Jacob Billingsley, and Vance Tatum get drafted as well- but I think all will be coming to MSU.

Homedawg
04-24-2013, 04:47 PM
The only two- not counting Cord Sandberg- that I heard that we were concerned about were Collins and Hudson.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Brent Rooker, Jacob Billingsley, and Vance Tatum get drafted as well- but I think all will be coming to MSU.

I was told we were fine or felt fine on Collins bc he hasn't even been catching. I'm sure things could possibly change but if he goes it won't be bc he's a super high pick.

mic
04-24-2013, 06:12 PM

Speaking of mental cases... We can only hope that Evan and Woody pull a off season like Stratton did between his soph and jr year.

engie
04-24-2013, 07:12 PM
Woody's problem doesn't appear mental to me for the most part... It's mostly physical IMO. His velocity is way down, his breaker isn't nearly as sharp, his front side is flying open causing pitches to sail up in(to righties), etc...

Homedawg
04-24-2013, 08:22 PM
Speaking of mental cases... We can only hope that Evan and Woody pull a off season like Stratton did between his soph and jr year.

I will be shocked if Evan is back next year. There is still hope for woodruff.

Todd4State
04-25-2013, 02:01 AM
About Evan- and I'm maybe misplacing this because I saw it in a thread the other day- but he was injured a lot in high school and barely even pitched his junior and senior year. That's why no one recruited him and he fell under the radar. Very freakish type injuries- like he got hit in the face with a ball playing SS in high school. He just looks frustrated right now. I noticed last night that he is trying to slow down his delivery and trying to keep everything together. Personally, I don't think having him come out of the bullpen is the answer at this point either- he gets frustrated very easily. The umpire may not give him a call on a close pitch and you can just see him get deflated.

Someone will take a flier on him in the draft because he throws hard though. I think he's the odd man out on our staff next year- Woodruff, Fitts, Lindgren, and Cox all will compete and all should be better not to mention the freshmen coming in. Holder will be the closer as long as he is healthy.

I think Woodruff is still learning how to pitch at an advanced level. I think he is trying to learn how to pitch like Kendall Graveman and Chris Stratton but he hasn't quite mastered it yet, and when he was getting hit a little bit by Ole Miss he didn't know quite how to handle it. I do have some of the same concerns about injury that engie has, but poor mechanics can also cause a drop in velocity as well. He will go off this summer and hopefully get it down.