PDA

View Full Version : Damien Robinson

justwin
12-16-2013, 04:15 PM
will he ever play any meaningful snaps in his final year? I'm not an OL evaluator by any means, but what do those on here think based on what you've seen out of him. What position fits him best...guard, tackle, etc?

I actually have thought that Clausell has done pretty well since the Auburn game as fresh and not really given as much credit as he deserves. Will he get drafted?

engie
12-16-2013, 04:21 PM
Robinson has a prototype body type for a tackle -- he is just soft...

Eric Nies Grind Time
12-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Seems like his high school critics were right about him.

Bo Darville
12-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Clausell has steadily improved. I don't know if he gets drafted, but he will be on the NFL's radar. Certainly if he is not drafted, someone will bring him in as a free agent. Anyone who starts at left tackle for 3 years in the SEC will get a look in somebody's camp.

Robinson is big, but he doesn't have the feet that Clausell has. He is just too slow-footed in my opinion. He has the frame and long arms you like at tackle, but I don't think he has the mobility to play tackle at a high level. I think for the right tackle spot we will evaluate the JUCOS, Cole Carter, Justin Senior, and Robinson. I doubt Jake Thomas is ready. The only interior guy who has the ability to move outside is Justin Malone.

Todd4State
12-16-2013, 06:04 PM
I think Clausell will get drafted based on his size and the fact that he played in the SEC alone.

Johnson85
12-16-2013, 06:28 PM
will he ever play any meaningful snaps in his final year? I'm not an OL evaluator by any means, but what do those on here think based on what you've seen out of him. What position fits him best...guard, tackle, etc?

I actually have thought that Clausell has done pretty well since the Auburn game as fresh and not really given as much credit as he deserves. Will he get drafted?

I'm not an OL evaluator, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night and a guy there said that if we have a rising senior offensive tackler that hasn't seen significant playing time considering that we played a hobbled right tackle for much of the year, you probably shouldn't expect to see him much next year, and if you do, it means we whiffed on JUCO and don't have many promising OT in the two classes after him either.

Goat Holder
12-16-2013, 07:09 PM
He and Muniz are killing us. His position could be our weak link next year. We've got seniority everywhere, Clausell/Beckwith/Day obviously and Malone is a Jr. Robinson should have been able to at least be serviceable by next fall, it's his 5th damn year. If a freshman beats them out, it really doesn't matter. The fact that Clayborn beat out Beckwith for time tells me something though. Hopefully we'll just do what we can with Clausell, Beckwith, Day, Malone and Clayborn. The JUCOs would just be icing on the cake. Only thing that sucks is that there is no beast in that group, like Gabe was. Or like a Derek Sherrod. Maybe our talent level as a whole will make up for that.

We don't get 4 star OL every year. Either we're going to have to pick up the recrootin or we have to make sure these guys pan out.

engie
12-16-2013, 07:59 PM
He and Muniz are killing us. His position could be our weak link next year. We've got seniority everywhere, Clausell/Beckwith/Day obviously and Malone is a Jr. Robinson should have been able to at least be serviceable by next fall, it's his 5th damn year. If a freshman beats them out, it really doesn't matter. The fact that Clayborn beat out Beckwith for time tells me something though. Hopefully we'll just do what we can with Clausell, Beckwith, Day, Malone and Clayborn. The JUCOs would just be icing on the cake. Only thing that sucks is that there is no beast in that group, like Gabe was. Or like a Derek Sherrod. Maybe our talent level as a whole will make up for that.

We don't get 4 star OL every year. Either we're going to have to pick up the recrootin or we have to make sure these guys pan out.

Clayborn is ahead of where Gabe was at the same point in his career and is the same type of player. Also, Malone is a soph again if he wants to be. He qualifies for a medical 6th yr.

Also, you don't just throw a guard out at right tackle. Malone is the only one in the group listed that MAY have the feet to play out there -- otherwise, that spot will go to Senior, Robinson, or one of the JUCOs. Senior is pretty close to being really good -- and I could still easily see him winning that spot. Jake Thomas is lurking for this spot as well.

mic
12-16-2013, 08:34 PM
RT will be a battle all spring and fall.. Someone will step up and take the spot and be as good as Siddoway was.. saw all we want about He and his lack of recruiting but the guy can coach OL.. the main issue will be if #1 goes down with the #2 be SEC ready..

thedawg
12-16-2013, 08:40 PM
Siddoway had back surgery two weeks ago so Robinson may get his audition in the bowl game

Coach34
12-16-2013, 08:46 PM
Are we going to have any Sr's playing in the bowl game? Jackson, Skinner, and Autry are all thats left

thedawg
12-16-2013, 08:56 PM
Perkins will get his customary 22 carries for 42 yards

engie
12-16-2013, 08:57 PM
Are we going to have any Sr's playing in the bowl game? Jackson, Skinner, and Autry are all thats left

Is Skinner good to go? He's not on the bowl game depth chart...

Coach34
12-16-2013, 08:58 PM
Perkins will get his customary 22 carries for 42 yards

and JRob will get 7 carries/99 yards

War Machine Dawg
12-16-2013, 11:37 PM

The fact you're even having to ask this should answer your question.

Robinson was always a major project, as I repeatedly said during his recruitment. Frankly, he's soft and his footwork is awful. He's big, but that's it. It sucks, but pretty much that entire OL class was a gigantic bomb. Muniz, Lawson, Robinson, all of them. Only Day has been worth a damn.

engie
12-17-2013, 12:02 AM
Only Day has been worth a damn.

And Clausell... I guess you really have to throw Beckwith in as well given his contribution this year...

Dawgfan77
12-17-2013, 07:13 AM
Justin Sr will be the back up LT next year, dude will be an Animal in 2015. I'm not worried about RT since Mullen took over our RT has been A. Lawrence and Siddoway, one of the JUCO's will come in and take the place of Sid. I wouldnt just throw my back LT to RT, never know when the injury bug hits

Goat Holder
12-17-2013, 11:44 AM
Bombed on Redmond and Maiden the following year too. We effectively only got 3 decent OL out of 2 years. 4 if you count Beckwith. We need to be bringing in at least that many every single year, and I'm talking solid recruits, not just hoping half will pan out.

Because of that drop in 2010/11, a lot of our success over the next two years is dependent upon two JUCO guys. We're going to need at least 4 OL in the 2015 class.

ED_Walk_On
12-17-2013, 11:50 AM
I don't know if he gets drafted, but he will be on the NFL's radar. .

I figure he will be a stud next season.

justwin
12-17-2013, 11:55 AM
All good points. Is it easier to put a former tackle to guard than vice versa? Meaning, is it guard or bust for Damien this year?

Clayborn is ahead of where Gabe was at the same point in his career and is the same type of player. Also, Malone is a soph again if he wants to be. He qualifies for a medical 6th yr.

Also, you don't just throw a guard out at right tackle. Malone is the only one in the group listed that MAY have the feet to play out there -- otherwise, that spot will go to Senior, Robinson, or one of the JUCOs. Senior is pretty close to being really good -- and I could still easily see him winning that spot. Jake Thomas is lurking for this spot as well.

War Machine Dawg
12-17-2013, 11:55 AM
And Clausell... I guess you really have to throw Beckwith in as well given his contribution this year...

Couldn't remember if he was part of that class or the next one. But yes, Clausell has been good. Beckwith is great for a walkon, but Clayborne should be starting ahead of him, imo. He's a great, reliable depth guy, though. And you gotta have those guys on the OL.

justwin
12-17-2013, 11:57 AM
Dam, that's staggering...only 3. Never quantified the ol attrition & lack of production over those 2 classes, but wow

Bombed on Redmond and Maiden the following year too. We effectively only got 3 decent OL out of 2 years. 4 if you count Beckwith. We need to be bringing in at least that many every single year, and I'm talking solid recruits, not just hoping half will pan out.

Because of that drop in 2010/11, a lot of our success over the next two years is dependent upon two JUCO guys. We're going to need at least 4 OL in the 2015 class.

War Machine Dawg
12-17-2013, 11:57 AM
All good points. Is it easier to put a former tackle to guard than vice versa? Meaning, is it guard or bust for Damien this year?

Guard would be the ONLY hope Robinson has of ever playing. But we already tried that experiment his first 2-3 years on the team in an attempt to toughen him up, and it has clearly failed miserably. Honestly, we should just cut our losses with him and move along. Any hope you have of him contributing is woefully misplaced.

War Machine Dawg
12-17-2013, 11:59 AM

I have no words for just how truly awful that is.

Westdawg
12-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Wes Rea was the biggest loss in those classes. Dude flat out was an awesome OL, and possibly would have filled one of those OT spots that will be lacking. But I am still glad he is wearing the M/W with baseball.
It is obvious that the state of MS can produce top talent at the OG and C spots, but OT is very hard to predict from MS kids because of the lack of solid passing games in the hs programs there. It is what it is. I hope Jake Thomas comes through. He is very needed at this point to take hold of one of the OT spots after this coming season.
And you never know with juco guys, regardless of the position.

justwin
12-17-2013, 03:20 PM
good stuff.

Guard would be the ONLY hope Robinson has of ever playing. But we already tried that experiment his first 2-3 years on the team in an attempt to toughen him up, and it has clearly failed miserably. Honestly, we should just cut our losses with him and move along. Any hope you have of him contributing is woefully misplaced.

The Croom Diaries
12-17-2013, 06:17 PM
Any bashing Robinson obviously didn't see the butterfly he chased down in practice the other day. It was yellow with orange spots. Then he drew the most beautiful picture of a rainbow you ever saw.

In a numbers crunch this summer I don't really see the point if keeping him on the team. But then again we played Dwayne Cherrington a lot and he shouldn't have seen anything more than garbage time.