PDA

View Full Version : Gus Bus to Austin, TX

DoinItDoggyStyle
12-15-2013, 10:12 PM
Will be announced the week following the NCGame...you heard it here first

engie
12-15-2013, 10:20 PM
I don't see them waiting that long to make a hire.

I don't really see them going to a spread coach either. Texas is like Alabama -- They don't mind creativity -- but I fully expect it to be pro-style creativity.

If it's a spread coach, I'd think it's a good chance that it's Todd Graham, who the new Texas AD was responsible for bringing to Arizona St -- and who has led a pretty remarkable and immediate turn-around there.

Goat Holder
12-15-2013, 10:21 PM
Get the f*ck out of here with that "you heard it here first" nonsense. I've said Malzahn to Texas since early November.

TopDog58
12-15-2013, 10:33 PM
Bucky to Auburn. At least he's no threat to Toomer's oaks.

Coach34
12-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Gus Bus to Austin, TX Will be announced the week following the NCGame...you heard it here first

Wouldnt surprise me in the least. He would be a splash hire and allow them to save some face in this situation. And he would shirley jump from Auburn to Texas.

preachermatt83
12-15-2013, 10:59 PM
i just hope it's one of the SEC coaches. If it's Gus I hope Auburn has another chizik hire. If its franklin then Vandy will be back to being vandy soon.

Goat Holder
12-15-2013, 11:04 PM
I'd expect Franklin to be on Auburn's short-list.

missouridawg
12-15-2013, 11:06 PM
I don't see them waiting that long to make a hire.

I don't really see them going to a spread coach either. Texas is like Alabama -- They don't mind creativity -- but I fully expect it to be pro-style creativity.

If it's a spread coach, I'd think it's a good chance that it's Todd Graham, who the new Texas AD was responsible for bringing to Arizona St -- and who has led a pretty remarkable and immediate turn-around there.

What's lost in all of this is that Texas high schools are damn near all spread teams. Texas may want a power team, but their recruiting base isn't teaching that type of offense.

Coach34
12-15-2013, 11:08 PM
I'd expect Franklin to be on Auburn's short-list.

Commissioner Slive has frowned upon this in the past- cost Mullen a shot at the Tennessee job

Pollodawg
12-15-2013, 11:14 PM
Commissioner Slive has frowned upon this in the past- cost Mullen a shot at the Tennessee job

This may be a stupid question, but was Mullen even interested in Tennessee?

Will James
12-15-2013, 11:14 PM
Im hoping for Gus to TX, Freeze as OC, Franklin as QB coach and Saban to retire sooner rather than later.

It_Could_Happen
12-15-2013, 11:15 PM

Didn't stop Nutt from jumping ship at arky and heading to Oxford..

Coach34
12-15-2013, 11:20 PM
This may be a stupid question, but was Mullen even interested in Tennessee?

You would have to think so

Coach34
12-15-2013, 11:21 PM
Didn't stop Nutt from jumping ship at arky and heading to Oxford..

Nutt was going to be fired if he didnt leave. UPig granted permission asap for OM to talk to him. Totally different situation

Goat Holder
12-15-2013, 11:28 PM
Disagree. A spread coach is exactly what Texas needs.

bully99
12-15-2013, 11:28 PM
Used to be an unwritten rule back in my day that a sec team didn't go after another sec schools head Coach. That went out many years ago.

Coach34
12-15-2013, 11:32 PM
Used to be an unwritten rule back in my day that a sec team didn't go after another sec schools head Coach. That went out many years ago.

Besides Nutt, who was going to be fired- who was the last SEC HC to go to another SEC school? Tubby from OM to Auburn- 1998?

Slive hasnt allowed that stuff to happen.

engie
12-15-2013, 11:43 PM
Besides Nutt, who was going to be fired- who was the last SEC HC to go to another SEC school? Tubby from OM to Auburn- 1998?

Slive hasnt allowed that stuff to happen.

Exactly. And how many years before Slive was that?

A lot of stuff happened under Kramer that is no longer happening

smootness
12-15-2013, 11:55 PM
If it was Malzahn (which I highly doubt, btw), he would have one of the strangest coaching resumes of all-time.

Long-time HS coach
1 year as OC at Arkansas
2 years as OC at Tulsa
3 years as OC at Auburn
1 year as HC at Arkansas St
1 year as HC at Auburn
HC at Texas?

He has no experience in truly building a program. I think there is a clear difference between jumping in somewhere and being able to turn things around relatively quickly (especially if there's already a decent system or good talent in place) and being at a program for an extended period and having to ride the ups and downs.

Mullen is just now experiencing his first 'lull' period that is inevitable no matter where you are unless you are Nick Saban. You have to be able to withstand those times and get the train rolling back in the right direction again.

We have no idea if Malzahn has the capability of doing that, of really building a foundation that will lead to long-term success. I just don't see Texas having the confidence in him to do that.

I think the obvious choice is Art Briles and that Texas would be completely stupid not to go after him first. But I think some other names that people aren't talking about as much that could pop up: Gary Patterson, Gary Pinkel, Mike Riley, and Pat Fitzgerald (don't think he would leave Northwestern, though).

Pollodawg
12-16-2013, 12:13 AM
You would have to think so

I had no idea Mullen wanted to interview at Tennessee.

ShotgunDawg
12-16-2013, 12:52 AM

No one on this board knows that either. Stop believing every thing you hear.

DownwardDawg
12-16-2013, 07:07 AM

He didn't. He had no interest at all in the Tennessee job. There was a 0% chance he would take that job.

Political Hack
12-16-2013, 08:04 AM

Slive reinstated that unwritten rule. He's stopped some moves, including UT coming after CDM after his first year in Starkville. Don't know if CDM wanted to interview or not, but Slive stopped it before it could even happen. Only Nutt has jumped under Slive and it was because he was fired at Arky.

RougeDawg
12-16-2013, 09:04 AM
Is Muschamp. Not that TX would take him back now, but does he wish he had stayed at TX, now how both situations have played out? You've got to think he's having some serious thoughts run though his mind now. If he'd stayed at TX, he would have been handed a dream job, and Tim to right the shop. Instead he's on the hot seat at Florida after one of their worst seasons in school history.

Pollodawg
12-16-2013, 09:15 AM
No one on this board knows that either. Stop believing every thing you hear.

I don't believe everything I hear, man. But is possible, and I was just curious.

ckDOG
12-16-2013, 09:23 AM
What's lost in all of this is that Texas high schools are damn near all spread teams. Texas may want a power team, but their recruiting base isn't teaching that type of offense.

Agree. Talent trumps all regardless of system, but if UT were smart, they'd take full advantage of the polished skill players that are developed in Texas each year. There's no doubt they can build a power program based on pro-style principles, but why not give the spread a shot since your recruiting base knows it well already?

Coach34
12-16-2013, 09:25 AM

I didnt say he did- but Tennessee did request to talk to him- Slive killed it

FISHDAWG
12-16-2013, 09:34 AM
Nutt was going to be fired if he didnt leave. UPig granted permission asap for OM to talk to him. Totally different situation

that's not the way I remember it ... I remember the Arky AD announcing new terms with Nutt then a few hours later Nutt announcing he was going to OM instead

ckDOG
12-16-2013, 09:40 AM

If this really is an unwritten rule by Slive, I will have to give him props. There is no way the top can get any better in the SEC so this is the best way for the bottom (despite UT filling that role as of late) to elevate and make the conference stronger top to bottom.

Pollodawg
12-16-2013, 09:45 AM
I don't see Gus to Texas. I have no doubt that they could embarrass Auburn financially, and there probably isn't much in the way of anything that Auburn could offer over Texas to sway him to stay if he was pretty well decided on leaving. I just can't see him being one and done over there. Auburn has one of the more enviable football histories in the SEC, a much more prestigious conference than the Big 12. Gus already has players in place that he helped recruit. The state of Texas is stacked recruiting wise, but it would take a while to change the football culture there to what he likes to run. I don't know.

I am telling y'all, I know some of you have him slated for UF, but I think BMFP would straight smash at Texas. He doesn't even have to recruit there like he did at Arkansas. Hell, compare Arkansas high school football to Texas. See?

Coach34
12-16-2013, 09:59 AM
I dont see Beautiful Bobby getting a big gig for awhile- if ever again

smootness
12-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Is Muschamp. Not that TX would take him back now, but does he wish he had stayed at TX, now how both situations have played out? You've got to think he's having some serious thoughts run though his mind now. If he'd stayed at TX, he would have been handed a dream job, and Tim to right the shop. Instead he's on the hot seat at Florida after one of their worst seasons in school history.

But he already was handed a dream job, and that season is on his watch. It's not as though that is what he inherited. There's nothing that says he wouldn't have done the same thing at Texas. Muschamp was handed a Lamborghini; the Texas job is not that much, if at all, better than Florida.

Goat Holder
12-16-2013, 10:44 AM
Dude, you HAVE to recruit everywhere. I know Texas has access to more talent, but how do explain what happened to Mack Brown? Bottom line, you have to bring in the right guys. If you ignore recruiting, you get killed. Bottom line.

I think Florida has more access to the type guys that Petrino wants, in all honesty. I never thought he was a very good 'fit' at Arkansas, and he still won big. He's a perfect fit at Florida.

DownwardDawg
12-16-2013, 10:48 AM
Dude, you HAVE to recruit everywhere. I know Texas has access to more talent, but how do explain what happened to Mack Brown? Bottom line, you have to bring in the right guys. If you ignore recruiting, you get killed. Bottom line.

I think Florida has more access to the type guys that Petrino wants, in all honesty. I never thought he was a very good 'fit' at Arkansas, and he still won big. He's a perfect fit at Florida.

I agree about the fit. I think Petrino would be a great fit at Florida but a terrible fit at Texas.

Johnson85
12-16-2013, 11:04 AM
I know Texas has access to more talent, but how do explain what happened to Mack Brown?

Evaluation. Didn't Brown tried to make the past two Heisman winning qb's into safeties?

I know evaluation is part of recruiting, but at a Texas, you won't have to work at recruiting like you would at even a place like Auburn, which has a good history but tons of competition around. WIth A&M on the rise it may change some, but Texas basically always had plenty of talent willing to come if just a little interest was shown. The only place I think that has it better in recruiting is LSU, although several places have it just as good.

Pollodawg
12-16-2013, 11:14 AM
Recruiting at Texas is 100% not the same as recruiting at Arkansas. You could tape recruit's pictures to the wall of the coach's office and play pin the tail on the 5* and build a ten win team. Mack didn't give a shit anymore. It's called arrogant and lazy. He had his crystal ball. That's all he cared about.

slickdawg
12-16-2013, 11:20 AM
Recruiting at Texas is 100% not the same as recruiting at Arkansas. You could tape recruit's pictures to the wall of the coach's office and play pin the tail on the 5* and build a ten win team. Mack didn't give a shit anymore. It's called arrogant and lazy. He had his crystal ball. That's all he cared about.

Bingo - Mack has become the Ron Polk of college football.

ChevChelios
12-16-2013, 11:27 AM
If it was Malzahn (which I highly doubt, btw), he would have one of the strangest coaching resumes of all-time.

Long-time HS coach
1 year as OC at Arkansas
2 years as OC at Tulsa
3 years as OC at Auburn
1 year as HC at Arkansas St
1 year as HC at Auburn
HC at Texas?

He has no experience in truly building a program. I think there is a clear difference between jumping in somewhere and being able to turn things around relatively quickly (especially if there's already a decent system or good talent in place) and being at a program for an extended period and having to ride the ups and downs.

Mullen is just now experiencing his first 'lull' period that is inevitable no matter where you are unless you are Nick Saban. You have to be able to withstand those times and get the train rolling back in the right direction again.

We have no idea if Malzahn has the capability of doing that, of really building a foundation that will lead to long-term success. I just don't see Texas having the confidence in him to do that.

I think the obvious choice is Art Briles and that Texas would be completely stupid not to go after him first. But I think some other names that people aren't talking about as much that could pop up: Gary Patterson, Gary Pinkel, Mike Riley, and Pat Fitzgerald (don't think he would leave Northwestern, though).

Come on now... Recruiting with Texas as the base, there is no lull period. They would be a contender every year under Malzahn.

smootness
12-16-2013, 11:39 AM
Come on now... Recruiting with Texas as the base, there is no lull period. They would be a contender every year under Malzahn.

History suggests otherwise. There have been very few times in college football history that a program has been able to sustain a level of excellence over a long period of time...Nebraska, Florida State in the 90s/early 2000s are a couple that come to mind, but it is exceedingly rare.

And my point is, we have no history of Malzahn being at a program long enough to evaluate how he would build a long-lasting program; so it's impossible to say they would be a contender every year under Malzahn.

Texas just went through a 2-year period where they were not a very good team. That came directly on the heels of, and with the same coach that brought them, 9 straight years of 10+ wins. FSU eventually came down pretty big under Bowden, though it did take a while. Paterno had tough stretches at Penn State.

Texas finished the year ranked only 4 years in the 80s. It happens to pretty much everybody. All we know of Malzahn is that he can enter into a program and breathe life immediately and create a big turnaround and renewed excitement. That's great and shouldn't be diminished. But we don't know what happens in years 3, 4, 5, etc. in a Malzahn program. It may be phenomenal, but I doubt Texas takes the chance on that.