PDA

View Full Version : So GA QB prospect, Josh White is a pro-style QB?

Thick
12-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Per Rivals Robbie Faulk in interview today. This kid is a 2016 prospect, and has TR's size, 6'5 225. He admits in the interview that he is NOT a runner. Interesting that we would prefer to have a well rounded QB that can be a threat with his legs too. Any thoughts?

HoopsDawg
12-15-2013, 06:09 PM
Per Rivals Robbie Faulk in interview today. This kid is a 2016 prospect, and has TR's size, 6'5 225. He admits in the interview that he is NOT a runner. Interesting that we would prefer to have a well rounded QB that can be a threat with his legs too. Any thoughts?

If he can't run, I don't want him. Mullen has no clue how to handle a QB that is a pocket passer. I don't think this kid has played a varsity game yet so we don't have much film to judge him on.

engie
12-15-2013, 06:12 PM
I'll wait and see -- but the kid has been on the camp circuit -- and I imagine we know his measurables as a runner and wouldn't be chasing him if they weren't pretty good. He refers to himself as a pro-style QB and is working hard on his throwing -- which I like. Learning to run is easier than learning to throw for guys that have the natural ability to do so IMO.

Kid's twitter(recruiting hard for MSU): https://twitter.com/J_Trey3

All the video we have available of him online right now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Ypc2_HVAc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLTBa8lA7pg

What little video we've got remind me of Josh Dobbs last year -- who was also considered and listed as "pro style" -- but he would have run for about 500 yards for UT this year as a true freshman if he had started all 12 games...

HoopsDawg
12-15-2013, 06:19 PM
I'll wait and see -- but the kid has been on the camp circuit -- and I imagine we know his measurables as a runner and wouldn't be chasing him if they weren't pretty good. He refers to himself as a pro-style QB and is working hard on his throwing -- which I like. Learning to run is easier than learning to throw for guys that have the natural ability to do so...

Then again, Mullen has offered kids like Steven Rivers, Nick Schussler, Hutson Mason, and Ryan Buchannan who really have no business running. I think that Mullen thinks he can adjust his offense to the QB. Even though 4 years of Tyler Russell says otherwise.

engie
12-15-2013, 06:41 PM
Then again, Mullen has offered kids like Steven Rivers, Nick Schussler, Hutson Mason, and Ryan Buchannan who really have no business running. I think that Mullen thinks he can adjust his offense to the QB. Even though 4 years of Tyler Russell says otherwise.

He offered all of the listed players BEFORE he proved to himself that what he was doing with Russell wasn't working...

Fact is -- we may sign another couple of "pro style" QBs(which Dak Prescott was in highschool technically) -- but I'm willing to bet that every single one of them will have the ability to run as well...

HoopsDawg
12-15-2013, 07:00 PM
He offered all of the listed players BEFORE he proved to himself that what he was doing with Russell wasn't working...

Fact is -- we may sign another couple of "pro style" QBs(which Dak Prescott was in highschool technically) -- but I'm willing to bet that every single one of them will have the ability to run as well...

I hope so.

thedawg
12-15-2013, 07:00 PM
If he's that big now he will easily be 250...at 6'6 250 u can and should be a pretty good downhill runner

smootness
12-15-2013, 10:03 PM
Most HS QBs are going to refer to themselves as 'pro-style QBs'. Nobody who wants to keep playing QB at higher levels is going to say, 'I can throw the ball, but I rely mostly on my running'.

I'm guessing the kid can move pretty well when he wants to. And the truth is, you don't have to have someone like Dak running our offense to make it work. Sure, it's ideal, but as long as your QB has the threat of running...meaning that if you don't cover him on the read option, he can make you pay, then that's primarily what you need. He may only actually take off a few times a game, but as long as he keeps the defense honest, our run plays will work.

The problem is, Russell couldn't do that. There was talk of him being able to run when he came out of HS, and Mullen compared him to Alex Smith, but he couldn't move that well in reality. Alex Smith is certainly a pro-style QB but he ran plenty well in Mullen's offense because he isn't a statue.

Think of Bo Wallace...he would be able to run the zone read fairly effectively in our offense, too, because he can get downfield if you let him. I doubt this kid's feet are in cement.

Barking 13
12-15-2013, 10:12 PM
Didn't I read a thread the other day about the size of the athletes we are recruiting?

chef dixon
12-15-2013, 10:15 PM
I hope Dak continues to become more of a throw-first QB for the sake of injury. His running ability will always be there and he will make a defense pay with it if he needs to.

I'll always prefer a throwing QB that is light on his feet over a running QB with the ability to make some throws. I may be crazy, but I wouldn't prefer to have Nick Marshall as our QB. I think Dak has a much higher ceiling as far as throwing the ball is concerned.

smootness
12-15-2013, 10:23 PM
I'll always prefer a throwing QB that is light on his feet over a running QB with the ability to make some throws. I may be crazy, but I would prefer to have Nick Marshall as our QB. I think Dak has a much higher ceiling as far as throwing the ball is concerned.

I'm not sure if this was worded incorrectly, but as of now it just seems like a contradiction to me.

Goat Holder
12-15-2013, 10:25 PM
Some of you are clueless on how this works.

First of all, Russell didn't 'fail'. He got hurt. Second, the first thing you're looking for in a QB is the ability to throw and the intangibles. If he has that, then try and find a guy who can also run. ALL coaches would prefer a dual-threat QB, because dual-threat implies that you throw and run WELL. That's the key word. But if he can't throw, then it doesn't matter (unless you're Paul Johnson). Nick Saban would prefer a dual threat QB himself. They are just hard to find.

Russell isn't going to be some NFL stud. He's an average to above average college QB. That's it. His flaws were not Mullen's fault. He had more all-purpose yards in 2012 than Relf did in 2010.....he did NOT suck. System or no system.

A QB who ONLY runs can be shut down rather easily, unless you run a hell of an offensive system, again, like a triple option. Relf's success was when he threw the ball successfully, in addition to his running. As well as all other QBs. Prescott the same. If he could throw, we'd have beaten Auburn (I will say he's gotten much better between then and the Egg Bowl).

chef dixon
12-15-2013, 10:29 PM
I'm not sure if this was worded incorrectly, but as of now it just seems like a contradiction to me.

Sorry, I fixed it. Meant to say "wouldn't prefer"

Goat Holder
12-15-2013, 10:33 PM
I agree with this. Unless you have Cam Newton or Tim Tebow, you can't just bulldoze people over and over with your QB.

smootness
12-15-2013, 10:41 PM
Sorry, I fixed it. Meant to say "wouldn't prefer"

Ah, ok. Makes a lot more sense now, and I fully agree.

CadaverDawg
12-15-2013, 10:46 PM
Well, regardless of what any of us thinks about this guy and what style QB he is....let us all begin by stopping and realizing that he looks to be a highly rated prospect that is very vocal to other recruits...other highly rated recruits. Personally, I would rather treat this guy like he will be the next coming of Peyton manning if it will also mean he helps us reel in a stud class of recruits. And THEN, when he gets to campus, we can figure out how the coaches want to use him along with the other great recruits he helped us bring in. There's a reason we're after him, and for what all we know...it could be as a spokesman for the recruiting class next year. Let's just get on board with this kid since Mullen obviously wants him, and the rest will work itself out.

Hopefully everybody understands what I'm saying here.

smootness
12-15-2013, 10:48 PM
Well, regardless of what any of us thinks about this guy and what style QB he is....let us all begin by stopping and realizing that he looks to be a highly rated prospect that is very vocal to other recruits...other highly rated recruits. Personally, I would rather treat this guy like he will be the next coming of Peyton manning if it will also mean he helps us reel in a stud class of recruits. And THEN, when he gets to campus, we can figure out how the coaches want to use him along with the other great recruits he helped us bring in. There's a reason we're after him, and for what all we know...it could be as a spokesman for the recruiting class next year. Let's just get on board with this kid since Mullen obviously wants him, and the rest will work itself out.

+1

engie
12-15-2013, 11:56 PM

Well said...

Todd4State
12-16-2013, 12:46 AM
One thing I would like to see us start doing with QB recruits is recruit guys that have been training in the off season with a QB teacher. There's a reason why all of our QB recruits are raw. I think Dan and Les do an awesome job of developing QB's, but if we can get guys that are ahead of the curve as far as passing and reading defenses it's going to be better for all of us.

Barking 13
12-16-2013, 10:45 AM

I think that's kinda what I was trying to say....

Johnson85
12-16-2013, 11:48 AM
First of all, Russell didn't 'fail'. He got hurt.

Agreed.

Russell isn't going to be some NFL stud. He's an average to above average college QB. That's it. His flaws were not Mullen's fault. He had more all-purpose yards in 2012 than Relf did in 2010.....he did NOT suck. System or no system.

Russell probably won't be an NFL stud, but he was a better college qb than he got an opportunity to show. Russell had two problems: His wide receivers, except for Bumphis, were subpar. His coaches did not know how to call plays for him (or at least didn't know how to call plays for him taking into account the fact that his wide receivers weren't good and didn't include have a single deep threat, he wasn't a run threat, and they didn't have a dominant running game which could open up the passing game.). Except for maybe not being able to 'throw his receivers open' (which I'm still not sure wasn't partly on his receivers), all of the negatives associated with Russell were just knit picking. Excluding running qb's, how many qb's do you think were in the college game that could have done better than Russell in his situation (remembering that he had to take a lot of hits just to give our WRs time to get any separation)?

Goat Holder
12-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Alot of times, a truly 'good' QB can make his WRs look alot better than they are. Think Manning and Flowers/Espy. The fact that didn't happen at MSU tells me what I need to know. I remember when I watched Russell play for the first time, I said, "well at least we finally have a QB that can hit wide open receivers". That statement is telling about how horrible our QB play has always been, at least throwing the football. Like I said, Russell was probably slightly above average, but looked VERY good in maroon and white, compared to our history.

For whatever reason, our fans demand perfection. When they don't get it, they have to blame something. In this case, they went after Mullen's 'system'. Then they were proven wrong when Prescott came in and went 0-fer against the best teams (same ones they blasted Russell for losing to last year).

I say let's get above average consistently, THEN demand perfection.

Mjoelner34
12-16-2013, 12:18 PM

^^^THIS^^^

Mullen's 'system' didn't cause him to hold the ball too long and not throw receivers open for 5 years. That would be on the QB coach that seemingly everyone on this board has deemed as awesome yet Russell left with the same problem he came in with of not being able to pull the trigger fast enough.

smootness
12-16-2013, 12:28 PM
^^^THIS^^^

Mullen's 'system' didn't cause him to hold the ball too long and not throw receivers open for 5 years. That would be on the QB coach that seemingly everyone on this board has deemed as awesome yet Russell left with the same problem he came in with of not being able to pull the trigger fast enough.

You don't fix it just by understanding the problem, though. I'm sure our coaches know he waited too long to let go of the ball, and I'm sure they worked with him on it. But if the guy doesn't go out on the field and do what he's learned, a coach can't do it for him.

It's not a video game; you coach them up as much as you can, then it's on them when they hit the field. Dak seems better in this area than Russell, so I don't think it's a coaching issue. I just think Russell never felt full comfortable letting the ball go until he saw the WR in space; if he doesn't ever get comfortable throwing it before the WR is in space, it will be tough for him to ever 100% commit and let go of it.

Add to this the fact that there were some times where he tried to thread the needle and it backfired on him, and he probably just became a little gun-shy.

It is what it is. I really enjoyed having Russell on the team, and I think he played well for us overall and won us some games.

Mjoelner34
12-16-2013, 01:04 PM
You don't fix it just by understanding the problem, though. I'm sure our coaches know he waited too long to let go of the ball, and I'm sure they worked with him on it. But if the guy doesn't go out on the field and do what he's learned, a coach can't do it for him.

It's not a video game; you coach them up as much as you can, then it's on them when they hit the field. Dak seems better in this area than Russell, so I don't think it's a coaching issue. I just think Russell never felt full comfortable letting the ball go until he saw the WR in space; if he doesn't ever get comfortable throwing it before the WR is in space, it will be tough for him to ever 100% commit and let go of it.

Add to this the fact that there were some times where he tried to thread the needle and it backfired on him, and he probably just became a little gun-shy.

It is what it is. I really enjoyed having Russell on the team, and I think he played well for us overall and won us some games.

Agreed. Maybe it was something that just couldn't be coached out but, there's no doubt that it wasn't a result of the 'system'.

And, +1 for your last sentence.