PDA

View Full Version : Collegiate Baseball Poll

MsStateBaseball
12-15-2013, 09:43 AM
Just in time for Christmas their poll will be released this week. Definitely top 10 in this poll.

Political Hack
12-15-2013, 09:47 AM
any insights into which SEC teams we'll be ranked behind and/or close to?

MsStateBaseball
12-15-2013, 10:14 AM
Not really because I don't keep up w others. I have to trust the writers as to who is coming back etc. But I suspect the usual SCaro LSU Fla Ark.

Todd4State
12-15-2013, 01:16 PM
LSU will probably be the favorite to win the West, although I think we should be ranked over them. LSU has Aaron Nola and Alex Bregman plus the fact that they are LSU, which means the writers will swoon all over them. Our schedule sets up really well for us, however. Vanderbilt, Florida, and South Carolina will likely get some votes for the SEC East. We should be a top 10 team.

I expect Perfect Game to have Ole Miss ahead of us and probably in the top 5 while we will be 18 or something like that.

messageboardsuperhero
12-15-2013, 01:40 PM
We have a top 10 team- really, I think we look better on paper going into this season than we did last year. I could see some polls having us a little higher (Collegiate Baseball, maybe Baseball America) and other having us lower (Perfect Game), but it should average somewhere in the top 10.

I also expect LSU, Vandy, and USCe to be ranked ahead of us going into the season. Vandy's schedule is too tough for them to win the SEC again, so the conference champ will likely be either us, LSU, or USCe (although Florida could challenge for it as well).

Jacksondevildog
12-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Ole miss could quit playing baseball and Kendall Rogers would put them in the preseason top 15.

bully99
12-15-2013, 05:56 PM
Is this something against State or personal against Cohen. I know he loves him some Lsu and vandy.

preachermatt83
12-15-2013, 05:57 PM
Ole miss could quit playing baseball and Kendall Rogers would put them in the preseason top 15.

believe it or not Kendall Rogers said after the CWS last year that MSU would have to be a top 5 team going into next(this) season .

MsStateBaseball
12-15-2013, 06:00 PM
Just a guess but I think Kendall has a family tie there. Plus OM lives at PG events. He is looking at PG recruits only in ratings.

messageboardsuperhero
12-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Just a guess but I think Kendall has a family tie there. Plus OM lives at PG events. He is looking at PG recruits only in ratings.

Which is a big reason why PG ranked UM's 2013 class significantly better than ours.

Pretty much every player UM signed was ranked at PG events, while our top three prospects didn't even go to showcases. I knew Kendall Rogers didn't really know what he was talking about as soon as he said Gavin Collins and Joey Swinarski were the best players in our class (without even mentioning Humphreys, Young, Hudson, etc.). Don't get me wrong, I like Collins and Swinarski- but Humphreys, Hudson, and Young are all potential 1-2 round picks.

gravedigger
12-15-2013, 06:27 PM
What exactly would be the reason for om's ranking? Seriously. Certainly they could be good. We had a deeper run after Stratton left but who picked that?

Meh. Polls are pointless in baseball anyway.

bully99
12-15-2013, 06:54 PM
The other day when he didn't even rank State in the top 35 recruiting for 2014, somebody tweeted asking him why State was not in the poll and he said it was because State had signed a bunch of juco's. I don't we signed any juco's for next class. Rogers is clueless much of the time.

Didn't Rogers say last year that he has never been to a game at Dudy Noble Field. That's amazing if true.

MsStateBaseball
12-15-2013, 08:35 PM
Paul Young didn't go to any event, Hudson either I don't think. I trust MLB scouts more than PG. Frazier was not ranked. Kendall is supposed to come to Dudy....wait for it....when we play OM. So please find him and welcome him and let him know your opinion. Keep your eye on the other 2 recruit rankings and not his.

Todd4State
12-15-2013, 10:44 PM
I thought Kendall came to the MSU/Florida series this year or maybe that was Aaron Fitt? I do know that Kendall Rodgers went to some Ole Miss scrimmages this fall. That's another reason why he was gushing about their players- I think he wrote his rankings a little bit after he watched them practice.

I don't think he has anything personal against MSU. It's more of a timing thing. PG started up when Bianco and Ole Miss were at their peak and we had Polk recruiting mainly out of the camp. Ole Miss got an in with PG- I think it was actually Dan McDonnell- and they formed a relationship while ours was non-existent. I have heard that Ole Miss baseball people pretty much painted us as a "dead program" to PG and that Ole Miss was really the baseball powerhouse in Mississippi. Even though Cohen has been around five years, we have really only been successful as a program for three of those- and in the meantime Ole Miss has been consistently good the whole time PG has been up and running.

When you are having losing seasons and you are letting your facilities slip away and your grandstand is empty- all of that reinforces the "dead program" idea. The last three seasons have helped change that perception- but it just takes time of consistently winning.

If Bianco is fired after this season which has been rumored as a very distinct possibility, it will be interesting to see if that relationship continues.

bully99
12-15-2013, 10:48 PM
This is what Kendall Rogers wrote on October 29, 2008 when he was still with rivals.com. He was writing about college baseball atmospheres.

"Ole Miss :while Mississippi State can pack the house and have a raucous atmosphere for a postseason event, ole miss seems to rock it out for every weekend conference series. Crazy college students often line the grassy areas down the two foul lines and in the outfield sparking what I call a frenzy in the stadium. Ole Miss is definitely on my to-do list for this season. "

So at that polnt he had never been to either place and I don't think he got to Oxford until 2012 and has never been to Starkville. I think he's a Texas A&M grad, so I don't know if he has ties to ole miss or not, but you can see his idiotic bear loving opinion there.

messageboardsuperhero
12-15-2013, 11:40 PM
This is what Kendall Rogers wrote on October 29, 2008 when he was still with rivals.com. He was writing about college baseball atmospheres.

"Ole Miss :while Mississippi State can pack the house and have a raucous atmosphere for a postseason event, ole miss seems to rock it out for every weekend conference series. Crazy college students often line the grassy areas down the two foul lines and in the outfield sparking what I call a frenzy in the stadium. Ole Miss is definitely on my to-do list for this season. "

So at that polnt he had never been to either place and I don't think he got to Oxford until 2012 and has never been to Starkville. I think he's a Texas A&M grad, so I don't know if he has ties to ole miss or not, but you can see his idiotic bear loving opinion there.

I actually don't have a problem with that- especially given the time it was written. UM did consistently have a better atmosphere than us in 2008.

That's starting to change again now though, and when the new stadium is built, our baseball atmosphere should unquestionably be better than theirs.

bully99
12-16-2013, 12:47 AM
The problem with that in 2008, he had never been to either campus so he can write that crap without being there. Like me saying how great Disney is even though I've never been there. Ridiculous.

MsStateBaseball
12-16-2013, 06:48 AM
It must have been Fitt. Kendall only saw us at College Station and Omaha. We shall see what he does this year and hold him to it.