PDA

View Full Version : Possible playoff brackets

Quaoarsking
12-14-2013, 04:26 PM
I present 4 possible college football playoff scenarios in addition to the actual BCS. These are my best guesses at what a committee would pick based on how they choose teams in other sports, not necessarily how I would design the brackets myself. Regular season matchups are avoided in the early rounds, just as they are in other sports. I'm assuming the Final 4 would be at neutral sites, no matter the size of the tournament, and earlier playoff games at the site of the higher seed (lower division football goes home sites until final).

BCS System:
Florida State vs. Auburn

On the one hand, you have to have an outstanding regular season to get here. You can't sleepwalk for 14 weeks and then get hot and take the title. On the other hand, over half the FBS is effectively locked out of ever winning a title, and unless you play in the SEC, you essentially can't lose a game -- only two non-SEC teams (2007 Ohio State and 2008 Oklahoma) have made it in the last 10 years without being undefeated, and there was just no other choice those years. It is hotly debated whether it's a pro or con that one fluky play (like a 109-yard missed FG return) can end a otherwise great team's playoff dreams, and this system relies heavily on a team's prestige and preseason perception.

4-Team Playoff (starts after next season):
Florida State vs. Alabama
Auburn vs. Michigan State
I think Baylor deserves the nod over Michigan State, but this is how I think a committee would pick it. I definitely do NOT think they would create an Iron Bowl II matchup in the semifinals. Saturday Down South speculated they would give Michigan State the 3 seed and Alabama the 4, while I think they would say "Strength of Schedule!!" and give Auburn the 1 seed instead. Either way, I think these are the semifinal matches.

You get most of the same pros and cons as above, other than teams have a little more leeway to recover from a single loss. A 2-loss team will get in 3 or 4 times a decade rather than once in 16 years like the BCS (some people hate that, others like it). The fans get 3 awesome meaningful postseason games rather than just 1, which is the only major substantive difference in the 4-team playoff and the BCS.

8-Team Playoff:
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/GALLERY/35_14_12_13_3_30_54.png
They may or may not give autobids to conference champions. This year, the 5 power conference champions would make it either way, but that's not always the case. If they decided to give autobids to the 5 major conference champions and the best mid-major, replace Central Florida as the 8 seed. Otherwise, I think South Carolina nabs the final spot over Missouri and Stanford due to SOS and their head-to-head win over Mizzou.

This is my favorite system, since you would still have to have a great regular season to make the playoff; if they did no autobids or did something like "take the 4 [or 5] best conference champions, regardless of their conference," it would be pretty rare for a 3-loss team to ever make the bracket. Fans would get 7 awesome games without really affecting the regular season. Teams outside the 5 major conferences would have a chance, but they would still have to be good to make it (probably just 2008 Utah, 2009-10 TCU, and maybe Boise once). If they decided to automatically take the 5 power conference champions, you would see 3-loss teams make it some (or 5-loss, in the case of 2012 Wisconsin), but it would make every conference regular season and championship game really exciting.

16-Team Playoff:
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/GALLERY/35_14_12_13_3_34_16.png
A 16-team playoff means all 10 conference champions get in, along with 6 at larges. I think Oklahoma, with their win over Oklahoma State would get the last slot, beating out Clemson, who has nothing impressive on their resume, and Arizona State who has a great SOS but 3 losses.

This is Dan Wetzel's proposal from the excellent Death to the BCS. It would be the most similar to other sports in which every team can begin the season knowing it has a shot if it can win its conference championship. You'd get some bad teams like ULL and Rice in, but you can also look at them as a reward to Auburn and FSU for a great regular season -- they get a warmup game against scrubs to start the playoff, while similarly-talented teams like South Carolina and Oregon who let up a couple times and lost have much tougher roads to get to the national championship game. And it would mean 15 games for the fans, although probably only 11 or 12 of them would be great. Having said all that, if Rice or Bowling Green pulled off a first-round upset, they would become America's darling and drum up a lot of interest. 16 seeds may never win a game, but 13/14 seeds would win a couple times per decade.

FCS 24-Team Playoff:
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/GALLERY/35_14_12_13_3_57_08.png
Far-fetched, but this is the same system used by the FCS -- 10 autobids and 14 at larges. I am betting the committee would want to reward teams like Louisville and Northern Illinois, who only lost once, rather than give bids to 4-loss SEC teams, but it's anyone's guess.

This is probably too many teams, but if the NCAA took over the administration of the playoff, they might choose this system. It would be a lot of great games for fans to watch. Yes, it would be kinda lame if LSU won the national championship after their regular season, but the odds of that are virtually nil -- no team would win in Stillwater, win in Tallahassee, win in Columbus/Columbia and then beat Alabama and Auburn at neutral sites in 5 consecutive weeks. And if somehow LSU did it, no one would begrudge them the title. It would transform the regular season, though, into jockeying for favorable seeding, for better or worse.

CadaverDawg
12-14-2013, 04:37 PM
I have always wanted it to end up being a 16 team playoff. This would be the greatest as a fan. I'm not taking into consideration anything outside of that though. I could live with 8 too. 4 is too few...24 is too many IMO.

Good stuff by the way. Thanks for posting it

ShotgunDawg
12-14-2013, 04:44 PM
To me, 16 is to many and would take 4 games to complete, which I think is a little much.

Finishing in the top 8 is a legitimate goal for many teams, even us, and also maintains the importance of the regular season. With an 8 team playoff, you really can't lose more than 2 games and have a shot. That keeps the regular season interesting the entire way.

With a 16 team playoff, you are talking about teams having 3 loses in the game. Therefore, teams like Bama, LSU, Georgia, etc. would basically have automatic bids every year, and the regular season would mean little.

I think 8 is the right number. Forces teams to have really good season to get in it, while also letting in enough teams that many teams have something to play for.

With 8 teams, you are probably talking about 12 to 16 teams thinking they have chance on the final weekend. And with the the final weekend being rivalry games, there could be a number of "you win, your in" type games.

MetEdDawg
12-14-2013, 04:47 PM
8 team for me. After that it gets diluted. I think you can look at the Top 8 before conference championship games (which I think under an 8 team playoff would probably go away), and say that Auburn, Alabama, FSU, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Baylor, and Missouri are the teams that had legitimate claims as the top teams in the country. Find an 8th team like a Michigan State or someone else and you have a well balanced playoff bracket full of teams that can do some things pretty darn well and in my opinion could make a legitimate claim at saying they are one of, if not the best team in the country.

This now brings recruiting depth and conditioning into the equation because now these teams have to play a potential 3 extra games. The negative is that these 18-21 year old kids are getting beat up potentially an extra 3 weeks in one season. You could see the effective age of NFL players begin to decrease over time because some of these talented freshmen could end up playing an extra 6-12 games against top competition over their career in college, which equates to roughly another half season before they get into the NFL.

Could you imagine playing 3 additional games in a row at the end of the year against let's say Michigan State, Alabama, and Florida State? That's going to take it's toll after a while.

engie
12-14-2013, 07:17 PM
I think 8 is approximately the correct number. But I also don't want to diminish or remove the conference championship games. So, we need to get creative on how we deal with that...

Maybe an 11-team playoff -- where the 5 conference championships are played last week as currently configured(plus forcing the Big12 back to a championship game). Those 5 champions get a first round bye while the 6 at-larges play the week after conference title games(this weekend). That should be enough of an at-large pool to not really punish deserving teams for losing conference title games. It also rewards conference champs with one fewer game to the championship.

So, either way, you are back at 8 teams by the end of this weekend. Then, you can play 4 more games next weekend -- to get it to the final 4 for 2 playoff games on New Years Day which is exactly how the 4-team playoff is currently configured. You can adjust dates to fit individual years...

Play the round of 10-11 and round of 8 at the home field of the higher-rated teams -- then go to neutral site for the final 4 and championship game.

My ideal tourney would then be:

1) FSU
2) Auburn
3) Michigan St
4) Stanford
5) Alabama
6) Baylor
7) Ohio St
8) Mizzou
9) South Carolina, Oregon, or Oklahoma
10) UCF(yes, I'd reward the highest-ranked midmajor champ with the 10-seed -- or otherwise their worthy seed)

So, Conference championships:
Auburn vs Mizzou
Stanford vs Arizona St
Duke vs FSU
Michigan St vs Ohio St
Baylor vs Oklahoma
Meaning that-- how things turned out this year -- it was essentially a 13-team playoff -- with Duke, Arizona St, and Oklahoma also having a chance to play themselves into the real tournament and thus essentially already being in a playoff. Thus, the "number" of teams essentially in the playoff are basically never a "set" number really. It depends on the number of conference losers whose resume still merits making the playoff...

This week(first round)
Alabama vs UCF in Tuscaloosa
Ohio St vs Mizzou in Columbus
South Carolina vs Oregon in Columbia (Clemson would generally have an argument as the second ACC team vs 4th SEC team -- but since USCe already beat them decisively, they get the spot. Oklahoma would have an argument currently -- but wouldn't assuming they lost to Baylor in a title game)

Next week and possibly the week after(2nd round):
FSU vs winner of South Carolina/Oregon in Tallahassee
Auburn vs winner of Ohio St/Mizzou in Auburn
Michigan St vs winner of Alabama/UCF in East Lansing(again rewarding conference champions by giving them homefield)
Baylor vs Stanford in WACO

New Years:
FSU/USCe/Oregonvs Baylor/Stanford
Auburn/Ohio St/Mizzou vs Michigan St/Alabama/UCF

SapperDawg
12-14-2013, 07:52 PM
^^^^THIS. Really good hybrid proposal.