PDA

View Full Version : What's the minimum win total for a Heisman winner?

RougeDawg
12-14-2013, 09:43 AM
With the Heisman presentation tonight, I got to wondering how many games a team has to win now days, to have a legitimate change to win the trophy. Recently 10 wins (10-2) has proven to be enough, but will 9 ever get the job done, in present football? I won't say an 8 win season isn't impossible to win, but it's damn near it.

With that being said, and the previous talk of Dak being a dark horse candidate next year, our schedule sets up nicely for us to potentially have 9-10 regular season wins. The combination of a 9-10 win team and a QB at least in the Heisman talk would be huge for the program and possibly the point that pushes our program to the next level.

Thoughts?

BulldogBear
12-14-2013, 09:47 AM
Baylor won 9 regular season the year RG3 won. Then they beat Washington in a bowl to finish 10-3

Quaoarsking
12-14-2013, 10:34 AM
Tebow also won it on a 9-3 Florida team (that lost its bowl game after the ceremony).

gravedigger
12-14-2013, 11:07 AM
It's not wins. A qb just has to undeniably prove to be the best. Dak could win it next year but he'd have to lead the nation in all purpose yards and make the highlight reels or be close and win the sec championship.

Political Hack
12-14-2013, 11:25 AM
Nine wins, including a huge signature win with signature plays would win it for him. Unfortunately our media department isn't anywhere capable of making this happen. we can't even control the regional or state media... or hell, even the local media.

if they want to make a push for it they'd better outsource the media campaign, start slowly, and if we get some big wins early flip a switch and make a huge push.

Political Hack
12-14-2013, 11:25 AM
and don't apologize for it.

An "Eli for Heisman" half assed effort is an embarrassment and not worth the money.

RougeDawg
12-14-2013, 11:53 AM
It's not wins. A qb just has to undeniably prove to be the best. Dak could win it next year but he'd have to lead the nation in all purpose yards and make the highlight reels or be close and win the sec championship.

Wins are probably the biggest factor in Heisman voting. How many great players on .500 teams ever get talked about for Heisman? Winning is a huge factor for the award. That was the point I was getting at. If we win 8 and Dak had an amazing year, around the top of all the major categories in SEC, he will probably be left out of talk. If we win 9 with sand stats, he will be in discussion. If we win 10+ with same stats he's invited to New York.

gravedigger
12-14-2013, 12:37 PM
I don't know. Name the last player for a .500 team that should have been considered for the heisman.

Quaoarsking
12-14-2013, 01:51 PM
I don't know. Name the last player for a .500 team that should have been considered for the heisman.

Luke Kuechly got a little bit of buzz on a 4-8 Boston College team. He wasn't invited to New York but probably should've been.