PDA

View Full Version : 2013 redshirts & spring ball

justwin
12-13-2013, 01:39 PM
so who is the biggest 2013 redshirt to make an impact next year? I know we played a bunch of the true freshman this year, but I have to think either Christy or Hammond right? Nick James?

To that theme, what about an underclassmen to really step up in 2014? I'm thinking Samuel at TE. I would like to see a healthy Walley as well as he reminds me of a prototypical NFL TE these days.

what say you?

Political Hack
12-13-2013, 01:45 PM
Clayborn will be a stud next year IMO.

I think Cox likely goes to S and shows why he was so highly recruited.

Nick James, barring any setbacks, could have a huge year out of nowhere. I don't think hell get a lot of numbers, but he'll demand a double team and free up Jones.

mic
12-13-2013, 01:51 PM
this may be a reach.. But if Gus is back to 100% I think he could be a very serviceable 3rd down position type TE/WR.. big target with good hands and I bet he runs very good routes.. when I saw him a few times in the spring last year dude caught everything..

hailmari
12-13-2013, 01:53 PM
My vote for underclassman is Samuel, I really like his game. He was a really good find by the coaches- soft hands, big body, and can run. Utilize!

I've never seen Christy, Hammond, or even Walley so I don't know there. I'm gonna try to go the practice Sunday. I hear really good things on Dez Harris though. He just may not get as much of a chance to show out next year due to depth.

smootness
12-13-2013, 01:54 PM
As far as redshirt freshmen, I think you will see Dez Harris on the field a good bit. We have most of our LBs coming back, but the staff raves about him. I also think you'll see Gabe Myles somewhere on the field, too.

We really don't have a lot of spots open with an opportunity for new guys to make a big impact.

Goat Holder
12-13-2013, 01:56 PM
Dezmond Harris is the safe bet. But I'm hoping it's Jake Thomas or Kent Flowers.

Biggest improvement is going to be Derunnya Wilson. I'm betting he will be damn near unstoppable.

smootness
12-13-2013, 02:01 PM
Biggest improvement is going to be Derunnya Wilson. I'm betting he will be damn near unstoppable.

De'Runnya Wilson, Chris Jones, Ashton Shumpert, and Jamaal Clayborn may end up being as talented a group of freshmen as we've ever had. They could all be about as good as they want to be and true difference-makers.

BTW, I think Aeris Williams, though a true freshman, will get on the field a decent amount as well.

Goat Holder
12-13-2013, 02:03 PM
But are they as good as Treadwell, Nkemdiche, Conner and Tunsil?????????????????

Also, I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I think Shumpert's future is LB or S, just like Conner. I agree that Williams comes in and plays immediately. May even take time away from Robinson.

Bo Darville
12-13-2013, 02:04 PM
I saw Walley in the spring. He needs work on his blocking, but did a great job of catching the ball. Does well catching in traffic also.

Freshmen that played:
Damian Williams, Shumpert, Clayborn, to have a bigger role. Obviously, Chris Jones, De'Runnya already had a big role.

Redshirts:
Want to see Flowers and Thomas get their feet wet early in the season in a blowout against USM.

I love Clayborn's potential. Looks like he has a big sturdy body. Big thighs and butt. Really looks like a guard. Seemed to have some nastiness to him, which we need at guard. Malone uses more athleticism and technique than he does pure aggression. Clayborn has a mean streak that he likes to show. Malone has potential to play in the NFL. Clayborn certainly looks the part of a big thumper. We need some thump in the run game.

smootness
12-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Also, I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I think Shumpert's future is LB or S, just like Conner.

I do disagree. I just don't think we got to see enough of him at RB. I like the way he runs, and I think the fact that he didn't look explosive at times was more due to indecisiveness and uneasiness about the scheme than it was that he truly lacks explosion.

I think once he's comfortable, he will be a guy that hits the whole hard and is very tough to bring down. He runs with ferocity.

EngineerDawg
12-13-2013, 02:32 PM
any insight on Quay? Last I heard the hands were beginning to be washed.

Dawgfan77
12-13-2013, 02:42 PM
this may be a reach.. But if Gus is back to 100% I think he could be a very serviceable 3rd down position type TE/WR.. big target with good hands and I bet he runs very good routes.. when I saw him a few times in the spring last year dude caught everything..

Wally would not be on my list. I don't think he will be around next year. No source but we are on a HUGE JUCO TE and Wally's injuries maybe the reason

gravedigger
12-13-2013, 03:08 PM
Clayborn....i know someone that worked with the OL this year and he said the kid is absolutely ready to step in and be the man on the offensive line.

Coach34
12-13-2013, 03:20 PM
Clayborne is going to step up and replace one spot on the OL for sure
Wilson is going to give us a talent at WR we been lacking- Ross will be better also of course
Shump will be a solid combo back with JRob to give us two punishing rushers. Aeris Williams will get about as many carries as Shump did this year
Staley is going to end up taking the back-up job and get some reps

Defense is loaded- gonna be hard for many young players to make an impact

Coach 57
12-13-2013, 03:33 PM
Jake Thomas is getting better guys. I'm telling you this, I hope Robinson & Co are ready for this kid to TAKE the RT spot. Take as in like Chris Jones told Curtis Virges & other DTs to "get out of my way I got this thang!" Jake is making a push a BIG one! My "man crush" on 60 is still huge too.

chef dixon
12-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think Wilson is great, especially as a true freshman. But I hope he gets over the drops... seemed to kill Morrow's confidence/progression as a young player.

DCdawg
12-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think Wilson is great, especially as a true freshman. But I hope he gets over the drops... seemed to kill Morrow's confidence/progression as a young player.

Thats a good point and I agree...except I don't even think Wilson and Morrow can be compared. Up to this point, at least, Wilson has already done things as a true freshman that I'm not sure Morrow is even capable of doing.

TrueMaroon
12-13-2013, 07:39 PM
Thats a good point and I agree...except I don't even think Wilson and Morrow can be compared. Up to this point, at least, Wilson has already done things as a true freshman that I'm not sure Morrow is even capable of doing.

What this guy said^^^^^^

Pollodawg
12-13-2013, 07:44 PM
Wilson made catches late in the year that he would have dropped early in the season. He improved from game one to game twelve, and you can't ask for much more. That 4th and 10 he and Dak hooked up in the waning seconds of the EB was clutch on both ends.