PDA

View Full Version : This playoff and committee stuff is simple.....

Goat Holder
12-13-2013, 12:48 PM
350 basketball teams vying for 68 NCAA spots = 19%
Add the 32 in the NIT and you get 29%
298 baseball teams vying for 64 NCAA spots = 21%

So safe to say the Top 20% should be included in postseason play for the national championship. Obviously you want it to be even as in 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64 teams so you don't give byes. 20% of all 120 D1 football teams is 24. So you're right in the middle of 16 and 32. Err on the low side since we're used to 2 anyway, and you're answer is a 16 team playoff. That's 4 weekends. Finals in the way? Well they are over this week. Easy to schedule around this.

The only thing stopping this: THEY HAVE TO FIGURE OUT A WAY TO DIVIDE UP THE MONEY. A 16 team playoff gives you 15 games, then you can have some smaller bowls for postseason consolation. Done deal. Slowly but surely this is going to happen over 20 years or so as these bowl contracts run out and the playoff increases in popularity, WHICH IT WILL.

The question has always been, bowls or playoffs. We have the answer now.

Every conference gets it's champ in. That's 10 teams. Sure, it may not be the 16 best, but neither is the other two tournaments. The #1 seed gets to play the MAC or Sunbelt champ instead of #16. That's life, they earned that via a great regular season. Then you get 6 at large teams.

Done. All the committee really needs to do is choose the 6 at-large teams and seed the tournament. Unfortunately they are getting to divide up the money themselves. No telling what these lollypops are getting paid to do this 'hard work' on the committee.

smootness
12-13-2013, 01:09 PM
This is the system I've always been in favor of if you're going to have a playoff; expanding to 4 or 6-8 teams while using essentially the same method makes no sense to me.

This would be a true playoff and would truly decide it 'on the field'.

Goat Holder
12-13-2013, 01:22 PM
I'd probably be in favor of backing the schedule back down to 11 games though. Have championship weekend on Thanksgiving. Maybe have the first two rounds before finals, and play the final four around NYD.

Schedules would also get more difficult, as people won't mind losing a game or two because they know they aren't out of it yet. And I'm sure there'd be some conference solidification necessary and that would decrease the automatic spots to 8 or so. 8 at-large spots gives you PLENTY to play for, all season.