PDA

View Full Version : I listened to OOB today for the first time

Coach34
12-13-2013, 11:04 AM
I've heard 30 seconds here and 2 minutes there before- but never sat and listened to an hour straight or more before. I think Bo does a good job. Hell, he was even talking about Dakota being up for the Heisman next year. Even had Pawwwwl on there talking crootin (I bet Sevendust was in tears getting to listen to Pawwwl talk).

Talked beer, sports, etc....thought it was a good show. Not sure why he gets all the flak. MRA dudes are good mf'ers

Coach 57
12-13-2013, 11:09 AM
I actually like Bo's show too. It's the Mississippi Finebaum show minus the idiocy that the state of Alabama has.

BeastMan
12-13-2013, 11:11 AM
I like the show too but let me tell you what my HS football coach had to say:

"We ain't 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, and we damn sure ain't MRA. This is 5A football." -Mike Justice

That was before 6A by the way. But seriously though, MRA folks are cool.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Bo does have some good points and I like the fact that he covers a wide range of topics, but I can't stand the "lifestyle" he constantly talks about. I haven't listened in a while, but one reason I stopped listening was having to hear about Turquoise Place every 30 seconds. I can appreciate the finer things in life too, I just don't get why he has to make the "lifestyle" part of his show.

PassInterference
12-13-2013, 11:16 AM
I like Bo's show too. He does a great job.

Its easy to disagree with something and say he sucks. But try talking 3 hours straight 7 days a week and I bet not many could do better.

He has great guests too. He had a guy on yesterday with a great take on why so many crootin targets are busts. He said think about the NFL. NFL teams have unlimited resources to research prospects and DRAFT people. Not beg, bribe, and kiss ass..but actually draft. And they still get it wrong. Crootin is hard.

PassInterference
12-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Bo does have some good points and I like the fact that he covers a wide range of topics, but I can't stand the "lifestyle" he constantly talks about. I haven't listened in a while, but one reason I stopped listening was having to hear about Turquoise Place every 30 seconds. I can appreciate the finer things in life too, I just don't get why he has to make the "lifestyle" part of his show.

Bo has to make a living.

I prefer his sponsors to a random collection of miscellaneous shit that is on other radio stations.

Coach34
12-13-2013, 11:26 AM
I like the show too but let me tell you what my HS football coach had to say:

"We ain't 1A, 2A, 3A, 4A, and we damn sure ain't MRA. This is 5A football." -Mike Justice

That was before 6A by the way. But seriously though, MRA folks are cool.

yeah, I've heard Justice say that before at a coaching clinic. But for those of us older than you- back in the 1980's MRA had a better overall sports program than Madison-Ridgeland HS. The South AAA conference had some damn good football and baseball players come through it from the mid 80's thru the early 90's.

Now when Madison Central was built- that changed everything. The nicer school and the money they put into it- plus adding all the athletes from East Flora- created a big change. Really hurt MRA. Hell, I would have gone to MC had it been built then.

CooterDavenport
12-13-2013, 11:29 AM
I listened for the first time yesterday as well. It's a good show. I prefer to live, in the words of Thoreau, more "sturdily and Spartan-like," than Bo's lifestyle, but I didn't mind the advertising. Like PassInterference said, we all have to make a living. That recruiting segment was great.

I'll say this though. Bo doesn't sound like I expected from his pictures. I was anticipating a baritone rather than a tenor. (His voice isn't bad--just a bit higher than I figured.)

engie
12-13-2013, 11:39 AM
I enjoy the show as well. It's just so spread out. Hard to talk college-centric sports in MS for 3 hours 5 days a week. Some days I'm sure are easy -- but it also has to get very difficult at times.

Wish they did an abbreviated podcast -- that carries the "best of" the show without commercials or all the "filler" talk and advertisement. The big ESPN shows do this -- and you get 30-40 mins worth of straight good radio in a 3+ hour show. Listening to these allow me to cover alot more actual good radio during the times that I can listen..

Dawgtini
12-13-2013, 12:02 PM
Bo does a good job and has the best guests period. Dude has made some contacts and it shows. The lifestyle part brings me a lot of joy when I see the guys with the Yeti stickers and Cirlce 7 hats...good times.

Thick
12-13-2013, 12:04 PM
It's not that his show is bad, but Bo has gotten a little bit better. He's bad about taking a guest's opinion and adopting it as his own especially when that guest really only keeps up with the power teams in the SEC. If your job is 15 hours weekly on the radio talking sports, then you should have time to research the region when it comes to recruiting, and at least know the names of the top recruits in each sport. Overall, he's doing a pretty good job, but he should be more in touch with recuiting prospects in MS in every sport. If you love what you do, you should do everything in your power to make it the best product or service in your market. I think he's trying to do that.

CJDAWG85
12-13-2013, 12:06 PM
yeah, I've heard Justice say that before at a coaching clinic. But for those of us older than you- back in the 1980's MRA had a better overall sports program than Madison-Ridgeland HS. The South AAA conference had some damn good football and baseball players come through it from the mid 80's thru the early 90's.

Now when Madison Central was built- that changed everything. The nicer school and the money they put into it- plus adding all the athletes from East Flora- created a big change. Really hurt MRA. Hell, I would have gone to MC had it been built then.

Ha my parents wouldn't let me go to MC and sent me to St. Joe. Pretty big difference jumping from Olde Towne to St. Joe.

Thick
12-13-2013, 12:08 PM
Bo does a good job and has the best guests period. Dude has made some contacts and it shows. The lifestyle part brings me a lot of joy when I see the guys with the Yeti stickers and Cirlce 7 hats...good times.

Ok, I've got to ask. That last sentence is rather nafoomish.....Yeti stickers and Circle 7 hats brings you joy and good times?? Please elaborate!

Political Hack
12-13-2013, 12:20 PM
I enjoy the show as well. It's just so spread out. Hard to talk college-centric sports in MS for 3 hours 5 days a week. Some days I'm sure are easy -- but it also has to get very difficult at times.

Wish they did an abbreviated podcast -- that carries the "best of" the show without commercials or all the "filler" talk and advertisement. The big ESPN shows do this -- and you get 30-40 mins worth of straight good radio in a 3+ hour show. Listening to these allow me to cover alot more actual good radio during the times that I can listen..

that's a great idea. I bet podcast hits would skyrocket.

K9 Avenger
12-13-2013, 02:50 PM
I've heard 30 seconds here and 2 minutes there before- but never sat and listened to an hour straight or more before. I think Bo does a good job. Hell, he was even talking about Dakota being up for the Heisman next year. Even had Pawwwwl on there talking crootin (I bet Sevendust was in tears getting to listen to Pawwwl talk).

Talked beer, sports, etc....thought it was a good show. Not sure why he gets all the flak. MRA dudes are good mf'ers

ShotgunDawg
12-13-2013, 02:56 PM
that's a great idea. I bet podcast hits would skyrocket.

Hey whataya know, Bo does this as well

http://www.thezone1059.com/page.php?page_id=131

Jack Lambert
12-13-2013, 03:01 PM

MRA was AA back in the 80's. Canton academy was AAA for the first four years of the 80'S. Canton and MRA were rivals and were in the South Central AA together for many years after Canton dropped. Canton consistently beat MRA in football and always competed in basketball both making the overall championship tourney in 84. You had in tha SCAA conference, Canton, McClure, Manhattan both out of Jackson, Manchester out of Yazoo City and MRA in that Conference. After Manhattan closed, Woodland Hills took their place. This is where the Winford twins play highschool ball. You might remember Berry played football at State and Ronald played Baseball or maybe both played baseball. I am not sure. When Canton was AAA you had Prep, Canton, Manhattan, McClure and ACCS from Natchez in the South AAA.

I think the North AAA back then was Washington Schools, Indianola, Pillow, Lee and I can't remember the 5th school.

Dash Riprock
12-13-2013, 03:06 PM
K-9 I knew you wouldn't be able to stay quiet.

Dawgtini
12-13-2013, 03:09 PM
Much laughter at their attempt to show their "lifestyle". I don't "roll" that way and don't hang out too much with those that do. Love the guys in the beat up 95 Celica with the YETI sticker in the window.

Thick
12-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Much laughter at their attempt to show their "lifestyle". I don't "roll" that way and don't hang out too much with those that do. Love the guys in the beat up 95 Celica with the YETI sticker in the window.

Me too, thanks for the chuckle!

K9 Avenger
12-13-2013, 03:37 PM
K-9 I knew you wouldn't be able to stay quiet.

HA...Twin Peaks for a bit of Holiday cheer....and clearly not much work going on. I should've stayed there...

FlabLoser
12-13-2013, 03:59 PM

It is also hard to listen to all sports all the time. That's why I think The Ticket in Dallas had a great sports talk radio model going. It had some sports, had some experts, but then the hosts were just as apt to talk guy talk. Girls, booze, TV, movies that guys would be interested in.

I can only take so much Egg Bowl talk, Saban, BCS chatter, etc. on a daily basis.